1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan Re-loaded

Discussion in 'Movies' started by curlytweethere, Oct 4, 2022.

1. balakrish

balakrish Platinum IL'ite

I wanted to write about this often but never got to it. The surprise package for me was definitely Jayam Ravi. Not just in the movie, but each and every interview I see him, he looks like a King.

He said that Mani asked him to act like a king 6 months before the shooting. Mani quoted that "PS is always socially correct, he is always politically correct". He never looked down and looks afar, as though everything he sees around is his.

Ravi has lived such a way since then and continues till today. Watch this interview where his mannerisms are like a king. Both Karthi and Trisha's mannerisms to and extent, match their characters when answering questions.

Its like the King lets his able minister ( karthi ) take the first pass and anything beyond where he has to step in, he answers. The body language is simply amazing. Not just this interview but so many others. Hats off to the three of them ( particularly Ravi ):

2. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

@svpriya @balakrish Yes, Completely agree. Somehow I too missed mentioning in earlier review about jayam ravi being the perfect cast as the king. As we were discussing every character if they suited or if there was a better person to do that role at home after the movie, we all agreed that he was perfect as the king and does not need a replacement!

balakrish, curlytweethere and svpriya like this.
  3. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

I now know how Ponniyin Selvan would have looked like, Jayam Ravi has done justice to the role and suits perfectly.

Also Jairam was amazing as Alwarkadiyan Nambi.

balakrish, curlytweethere and svpriya like this.
  4. balakrish

I am half way through "Sivagamiyin Sabatham" and blown away by it. At first I could see what PS is much appreciated over SS, but as the half way stage, PS is a long distant memory for me. The war strategies, the betrayals, the braveries, the ego, ... some thing which was missing in PS is in full flow here. I have to read it fully to comment on the differences. But so far, its been amazing.

I might have to re-read PS after this to put things in perspective.

sweetsmiley likes this.
  5. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

Kalki wrote SS first and then only PS, SS is more of action novel and PS is more of story oriented..
    Both are good in their own ways.. I need to reread SS, I alomost forgot many characters..

balakrish likes this.
  6. balakrish

Completed SS. What an emotional roller coaster it was. Highly recommend it. At this point all I remember is SS and hence I feel SS is better than PS.

I wonder why no one wanted to make a movie of SS.

As @stayblessed mentioned, Velpari is highly talked about. Need to find the book though.

7. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Sivagamiyin sabatham is Kalki`s best! No one can do justice, if they try to make a movie. I had read this one, when I was in college. But the memory is still green with the multidimensional emotions.
    When I read RAGE OF ANGELS, found the similarities with SS in the last episode ie sacrifice of love by the heroine in front of power.

8. balakrish

If possible, would recommend removing the spoiler out of the response @vidhyalakshmid !

9. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Sorry, unable to edit or delete!

balakrish likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@vidyalakshmid,

I couldn’t agree with you more about Sivagamiyin Sabatham. Even Ponniyin Selvan I read as a child was so captivating to read. May be my taste changed over a period of time. I don’t believe Maniratnam did good justice to Kalki’s extraordinary writing bringing visuals in front of our eyes. I finally got a chance to see the movie at home and got really disappointed.

vidhyalakshmid likes this.