1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan Re-loaded

Discussion in 'Movies' started by curlytweethere, Oct 4, 2022.

1. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

I felt it is only in the movie AK is waging wars as a coping mechanism. Didn’t get that feeling from the book. As a crown prince he wanted to expand his kingdom. Only thing AK did because of Nandini was not visit his parents

balakrish and anika987 like this.
  2. curlytweethere

Ohh I saw some post on Instagram/twitter where they mentioned Aishwarya looks truly happy with her southern co-stars

sweetsmiley, balakrish and anika987 like this.
  3. curlytweethere

So true Jayaram’s one liners were so funny. My fav was the thalai baddiram scene

4. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

I was surprised and happy with Jayam Ravi as in title role. He looks perfect and stunning.

Parvathy thiruvothu or Nayantara can also be a good choice for Nandini.

Sai Pallavi, Anupama Maheswaran, Regina Cassandra, as Kundavai.

Kalyani priyadarshan, rashmika mandanna as Poonkuzhali.

Anyone as Vanathi.

Kamal, Mohanlal, Mammotty as Sundara Cholan.

Mahesh babu, Maddy, Ayushman Khurrana as Aditya Karikalan.

Rana daggubati, prabhas, Dulquer as Vanthiyadevan.

Jayam ravi and only Jayam Ravi as Ponniyin Selvan.

Rakshit shetty, kannada actor as Madurantka Thevar.

Hindi actress Rekha as Maduranta Thevar's mother. Saranya, the popular and famous on screen tamil movie mother also will do a wonderful job.

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Jayam Ravi and Jayaram were just perfect for the roles! Tailor made!:)

6. Sreevidyaa

Sreevidyaa Silver IL'ite

I watched the movie. Since I know the story I could follow it. I can’t tell about same if I had not read the story. Characterisation of the roles was definitely missing. Due to time constraints the scenes seem to just jump from one to another rather than gradually intertwining with the whole narrative. Only thing I can tell is atleast someone had taken steps to do this film which had been dropped by many actors for decades. The plot actually doesn’t get so quickly revealed like the movie. As Nandini is fictional character we had to go with it. When I finished the story I went around to check who the actual characters and what happened afterwards. That’s how I was reading more historical stuff. Udayakudi kalvettu is the only one as far I have read which gives what happened to Adhitya karikalan. Anyone can google if interested. There is Dr Kudavayil Balasubramaniam an archeologist who has given more interesting relevant topics about the Cholas history. Only thing that the movie triggered is for me to read the novel again and read history again. As far as actors are concerned Jayaram as Aazhvarkadiyan is the best for me.

balakrish, svpriya and curlytweethere like this.
  7. svpriya

svpriya Silver IL'ite

I felt like the script slightly changed...I don't remember the scene from the book where kundavai goes to karikalan's place...sundara chozha was paralyzed right..but it was not shown like that...little bit disappointed...but still liked the film..

Started to read the novel again :laughing:

8. balakrish

balakrish Platinum IL'ite

I agree with this point. However, all I remember after watching the movie very close to reading the book is that most of AK's portion in the book was more or less circulating around Nandini. Removing Nandini out ( which is the real story ), there probably is much more in the AK's life and his conquests than the book highlighted. Maybe I might have to re-read to be sure.

Yes, I noticed this and I wasn't very pleased with this change. Also, madurandhagan was dressed up as a woman in the book ( if I am not wrong ) but the movie did not show it that way. That would have been quiet a visual which Mani missed.

Thank you for this. I also came to the same conclusion. Given the suspense/spoiler around one of those who had a motive, I am not sure how it played in real when it was time for making the big decision.., after the later incidents in sambuvarayar palace.

9. svpriya

svpriya Silver IL'ite

Poonguzhali also shown as a glamorous doll...i loved the way kalki introduced her but that didn't happened in movie...

10. curlytweethere

Madurandagan was not dressed as a female. Since he travels in pallaki they kind of describe his act like a female does