1. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Pongal Celebrations

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by KarpagamS, Jan 10, 2017.

1. KarpagamS

KarpagamS New IL'ite

Namaste IL,

Please recommend simple preparations (food and decorations) for celebrating Pongal at home this week. This will be my first holiday. It will be just my husband and I (newly married). Thank you!

2. LakshmiBalaji

LakshmiBalaji New IL'ite

Hi There!
    Happy New Year at the outset.
    This is my first Pongal here as well. I am planning to have small wall decals from DollarTree stuck up in the kitchen and living room. Electric lights/tea lights can be used to light up your house. You can also make Rangoli if you are interested.

DIY can also be done. Check for some inspiration from internet.(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4DLtHySie6g/UPMSRASudrI/AAAAAAAAEeE/mM8sgZ7dB1k/s1600/JENNIFER.jpg - a sample)

Simple dishes - Pongal, Sweet Pongal and a few chips varieties (vaazhaikai, sarkarai valli kizhangu and karunai kizhangu), with aviyal/kootu and curd rice will do. If you get sugar cane bits, you can add it too to your menu. (As I dont have vengalam paanai with me here, i will cook Pongal/Sweet Pongal in cooker only.)

If you own a Polaroid, you can take and save a few snaps of you cooking food, decorating your house and other activities; that you can later stick into an album.

Also, you can go out to nearby temple(s) in the evening.

Let me know for anything else.
    Happy Pongal to you! :)

kaniths, KarpagamS and PavithraS like this.
  3. KarpagamS

KarpagamS New IL'ite

Thank you so much! Great ideas.
    Happy Pongal to you as well!