Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Ashna, Sep 21, 2006.

Re: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

1. Re: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Re: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rammu

rammu Senior IL'ite

thank u dipu,vasumathy.

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Ramya,

More estrogen = increased endometrial thickness.

Either an abnormal cyst in your ovary could be the culprit sometimes.. or it could be something more to do with the weird hormones during periods..
    I would suggest you to have a second opinion about the lining condition.. Even if it means travel to Chennai.. But, take ANOTHER opinion.

Sometimes doctors put you on Birthcontrol pills for a period of time to regularise your monthly cycles or even put on provera.. Your weight will start togo down as soon as you are on the right medicines, regular cycles and great amount of exercise ! Everything needs to be HAND IN HAND !

I have had PCOS.. biggie cysts sometime back.. Earlier I didnt take tablets and was exercising like crazy.. I went working out in the gym everyday for 2-3 hours..for 4 years !! I used to lose just about 2 kgs a year and you know how frustrating it is !!

I started on Metformin and my doctor put me on birth control pills soon after marriage for like 6 months.. I used to just to a work out for 45mins-1 hour everyday during the medicines and even now.. I lost 9 kgs in a year ! :) She asked me to stop and start ttc if I wish after that.. Now, Im just having Metformin .. I had been for my routine test here to an RE ( Reproductive Endorinolgist ) because I thought since I know I had PCOS i could be on treatment if necessary.. But, when I got my scan.. she asked me, did you have PCOS ?? :) I didnt have any cysts and no issues.. She asked me to get out and try on our own !! :)

We have just started ttc since June.. and patience will pay off I know !

But before taking birth control pills or provera to induce periods.. I would suggest you to get your lining checked by ANOTHER doctor who has a good amount of experience in that !

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. JyotiP

JyotiP New IL'ite

Just like Deepu and Preethi suggested....you will get regular periods on Birth control pills and actually birth control pills are considered one of the medicine to control PCOS , But to achieve conception and a successfull delivery you actually have to consult a Reproductive Endo and start from there. I am sure there are some best RE's out there in chennai too.

-Jyoti

4. shiv1984

shiv1984 New IL'ite

Re: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome-new member help

hello,
    these drugs some side effects. take it under proper medical care.
    thnax n all d best

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  5. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Re: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome-new member help

Shiv1984,
    Can you tell me the source which tells you that Metformin is carcinogenic? Please give valid answers and do not try to scare folks without a valid basis.

Aswathy,
    As far as I know, there is no harm in taking Metformin. I too have PCOS and took these tablets till I was 4 months pregnant. Metformin is a drug that is used to regulate insulin in the body. Women with PCOS have trouble with insulin regulation and this in turn aggravates PCOS. Regulation of insulin helps in the treatment of PCOS. I have consulted 4 docs since I was diagnosed with PCOS and all of them say Metformin is safe. If you want to reconfirm, do take a second opinion. Good luck with the treatment of PCOS.

Regards,
    Anitha

6. deepss25

deepss25 Bronze IL'ite

hi shiv,

i think metmorfin is a drug which is given for diabetes also.... so i dont think what you are saying is correct.

deepa

7. kaviindus

kaviindus New IL'ite

Shiv

Long-term carcinogenicity studies have been performed in rats (dosing duration of 104 weeks) and mice (dosing duration of 91 weeks) at doses <_ 900 mg/kg/day and 1,500 mg/kg/day, respectively. These doses are both approximately four times the maximum recommended human daily dose of 2,000 mg based on body surface area comparisons. No evidence of carcinogenicity with metformin was found in either male or female mice. Similarly, there was no tumorigenic potential observed with metformin in male rats. There was, however, an increased incidence of benign stromal uterine polyps in female rats treated with 900 mg/kg/day.

8. manasi10

manasi10 New IL'ite

THANKS MEETU,

I have a question to ask to all is....I will start doing Kapalbhati now..to reduce my weight/fat on stomach...but can we continue it for the whole month..that is ..can we do it in the second half of the cycle too? wont it become a problem for conception...as it involves...intense breathing..and stomach movements?

I get lot of stress due to this...and worrying when will I get ..pregnant..

9. BPositiv

BPositiv New IL'ite

Dear Manasi,

I had done yoga classes for sometime and this teacher had instructed me to avoid kaplbhatti during my days of AF and of course in case we plan to conceive durind the post ovulation period.....

But its a very useful technique in yoga....

Tk cr

10. geetu14384

geetu14384 New IL'ite

Hi IL's,
    I am married for 1.5 years. I and my DH planned for a baby now. Recently when i went to doctor,
    Doctor told me i have polycystic ovary and i will have to be under medication to get conceived.
    Is anybody aware of this , can anybody suggest me what should i do.
    I underwent Thyroid , harmone and blood test, Report was normal, but i am obese.
    My Doctor is constantly insisting me to reduce weight, I have started working on it also.
    Can anybody share me some tips for reducing the weight and also any specific diet that should be followed for polycystic ovarians. You inputs will help me gain confidence , please respond.
    I m really very very upset after hearing that i have polycystic ovary.