1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Polka Dots, Pony Tails and Purple Pouts by Amrita Anand Nayak

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Mohur, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

It’s a story of three friends, who are also room-mates, as they live their lives and face various situations and difficulties. First is Tia, the Polka Dots represent her in the title of the story. She is a fashion crazy girl who is but introvert b nature. She loves her Polka Dotted dress as it was the one dress she was wearing when Sam first ‘noticed’ her. Then comes Jasmine – the Purple Pouts of the title. She is lively, trendy and flirty who parties hard to live life to the fullest. But behind her various short term relationships, lies the secret Jerry – her first love. Lastly, but by no means the least, is Leena. Pony Tails of the title represents her simply because she loves to wear her hair in a Pony Tail. She is Daddy’s little girl who always falls for older men.

Behind the smokescreen of these three lively girls, lie their story of love, betrayal and hurt. As the story uncovers their lives, the readers are taken on a globe-trotting and heart touching journey of these three girls who are similar yet so different from each other. They live through the roller coaster rides of their lives with the help of the love and support of each other. Leena’s dedication to her recovering alcoholic father, Tia’s fight for her love and Jasmine’s first love all became a part of my life as I turned each page.

Character wise, I have to say that all the three protagonists are well developed and distinct. There are few side characters that also play an important role. You’ll love them and be irritated of them, yet you’ll feel compelled to be a part of their lives. The plot is simple and easy to relate to. We all have had people in our lives who could play the parts of Polka Dots, Pony Tails and Purple Pouts well enough. Amrita has also managed to keep the flow of the story smooth with appropriate amount of humour, drama and emotions. She has created a perfect reflection of the modern Indian women who may often stray away from the traditional mould, yet are inspiring.

It’s an entertaining read that I would suggest the chic-lit fans to give a try.