1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Polio drops - how many times to give a child?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by venviji, Jan 22, 2013.

1. venviji

venviji New IL'ite

Hi,

I have given my kid polio drops as per the immunization schedule given at the hospital. Do I also need to give the polio drops when the Govt announces too? How many times do I need to do it? Confused!!

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Once. Since you covered it during vaccination schedule, you dont have to do it again.

3. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

you need to. that is what pediatricians say. its about herd immunity i guess.

4. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

The schedule at the hospital is the one that should be followed. The recommended series of OPV (polio drops) is four doses- one at about 6 weeks, one at about 10 weeks, one at about 14 weeks (or 4 weeks after dose 2), and a booster at 16 months. There should be at least 4 weeks between each of dose 1, 2 and 3 and at least 6 months between dose 3 and the booster. If your child has had the required 3 does and booster, then it is good*.

* sometimes a dose is given right after birth, with in the first 2 weeks of life.

India immunization schedule

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Just to clarify, what I meant is, if you have started following the hospital schedule, then you should be following that only. It covers all the required vaccinations. So, dont mix hospital schedule with govt vaccinations.

6. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

The Government is aiming to eradicate polio completely. So when ever they announce about polio drops, we have to take our kid and give them 2 drops of it upto the age of 5. This irrespective of the vaccinations that we give them.

This is the input i got from the general awarness which they give on TV.(Amitabh used to tell this) :)

4 people like this.
  7. chitii

chitii Bronze IL'ite

Doctors will suggest we should follow their vaccination as well as polio drops given by GOVT. If you have still doubt you can ask your kids doctor.

8. Aruna972

Aruna972 Bronze IL'ite

Hi, Apart from the ones your child's doctor recommends, you need to make sure that your child is administered polio drops every time there's a polio drive in the country. This you need to do till your child turns 5 yrs old. Even I didn't know that, but I got to know this from this baby site that I refer to regularly. There they had mentioned it. Since then I have been regularly taking my daughter for polio drops whenever I come to know about the Govt. funded polio immunization drive.
    You can refer to this page for your vaccination worries: Required vaccinations for a baby | Humpty Bumpty Kids

9. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

I was confused myself. Checked with my Paed, and he said that since we follow hospital immunization no need to give additional drops in the govt. drive. However, just to be sure we gave it. Did not want to risk not giving it.

10. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

My paed asked me to get it done everytime they call for it.
    This is what he had to say :
    Its mass immunization program and as a parent/citizen its our duty and right to get it done.