1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket money

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Dec 16, 2007.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nowadays parents are giving pocket money to their children. When we were children we never got pocket money. If we want any thing they will buy and give. Mind that it should be a thing that we really needed. If not, they will reject outright. But now both parents are working and if they could not spend time with them, pocket money solves the problem. Further now each couple prefers to have only one child, some may prefer to have two.
    There is a question nagging my mind. Do these parents give pocket money to their parents? I am only talking about the dependant parents that too if they stay with them. Don't they also need money to buy some thing or to give to some one they feel close? I Have seen some parents lamenting that they do not have anything to give except their blessings. Of course the person who comes to get the blessings of these elderly people will definitely say that they only wanted the blessings. I feel that elderly people also need pocket money to buy fruits or some thing they like, but feel shy to tell their children. What do you all think of this matter?

sindmani likes this.

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Pushpa Ma'am,

What you have said is very insightful. Not all seniors are entitled to pension. Some live under their children and depend on them for all their needs. They do need pocket money to take care of their expenses.

3. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpa Mam,
    U are cent percent right.Even in my childhood days i did not get anything as pocket money.Even in future i dont have any idea of giving pocket money to my kids.Our parents took care of all our needs and its our duty to take care of them now.We should take all possible steps monitorily,morally to keep them happy.Nice blog............Shantha

4. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpa,
    You are very right when you say that parents need money, but now many realise that. You give your kids money needed or not to sometimes make up for your absence as working parents, the mom and dad who pampered you are maybe wondering whether to ask you or not? Both kids and parents need to be taken care of well.
    Nice Blog!

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Pushpa
    Indeed a good blog. As today we do give our kids pocket money as they go out and are in need of something or the other. During our time we had patience and would wait until our parents buy things for us, but it is not so now.
    As per our parents Yes I do agree that we should give them too some pocket money as they hesitate to ask the kids, they feel like they don't want to bother the kids. But it is the duty of the kids to give parents some money, which they can utilise the way they want. They too wish to give they grandchildren something or they DIL or anything, in case they have some money in they hand it is easier for them to spend.

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Nivedi,
    Thanks for supporting my opinion and the elders will be greatful to their children if they give them money for their personal expenditure.

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shanthi/Kasisheela,
    As people look after the needs of the elderly, they don't give them money. They do not realise that they also need money . Takns for peeping in and expressing your opinion.

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Janani,
    Parents will feel embarassed to ask the children for money thinking that already they are looking after them and so it will not be good on their part to ask for more. Hence children should give them money for their personal expenditure.Thanks to you for seconding my opinion.

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Aruna,
    You are right. Parents should be given money to spend as they like. They will use it only for their near and dear ons to give gifts on their special days.

10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli,
    Me and my brother got our pocket money of Rs. 5 per week, that was because though we had bus passes at times when it was very late we need to travel by yellow board busses (which were very rare and were a bit costly) which dont accept student passes. So to use it at that time we were given Rs. 5 each per week. But we were given a previlage that if we dont spend that amount by the end of Friday, we could get something to eat, like some chips or some other snacks or could save that money. But we ended up saving the money in separate undials, though by the end of every month we get something for Rs. 5 and share it and the remaining Rs. 5 we divide it amongst ourselves.

But I have not started giving my daughter any pocket money, but give her some amount depending upon the points she collect as rewards for various activities both academically. She saves those small amounts given to her by elders during her birthday or during festive seasons. I dont know where she got that habit from, but she gets small gifts that too surprise gifts for me and her father, and her brother and also to her grandparents, during our birthdays or wedding days. She have gained the habit of saving and I am happy with that.