1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

PMS--supportive group

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by Sriniketan, Jan 19, 2010.

1. kavithaprasad

kavithaprasad New IL'ite

I also have PMS. 1 week to 10 days before periods, I start getting irritated,bloating,craving for sweets,anger,tenderness etc. What I have observed is if I go for walks regularly then the PMS symptoms are noticably less. But I need to be consistent, which I am trying. Drinking lot of water helps too.

Eating peppermint candy also helps. Any irritation,panic,anxiety will definitely be reduced atleast temporarily if you chew peppermint hard candy. I read about this in AJC long back and have been following it and it definitely helps.:)

Kavitha.

2. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Dear Srini,

Thanks for the information on Evening Primerose Oil. I am using evening primerose oil capsules of 1300mg dose in each capsule during moon cycle from full moon to new moon(not according to our menstrual cycles) she told our menstrual cycles are related to moon cycles and asked to use them only for 15 during month from full moon to new moon days.

I am also using PMS support herbal tea during my PMS times :thumbsup it is helping me with my depression and anxiety. I bought the brand "Republic of Tea".

Apart from this , I feel Yoga, pranayama do the tremendous effect in giving relief to PMS, because I see the difference during the months where I dont follow routine in yoga and when I do it regularly, I see the good improvement.

Dear Kavitha,

Thanks for your tips.. I also heard drinking more water helps. I am trying that too. Eating peppermint hard candy is nice tip.. I will defenitely follow it.

Sujatha.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kavitha,
    You had given good tips here, which are practical to follow..
    Somebody has to push me walk on the treadmill...during summer I go for a walk outside.
    I am doing Surya Namaskaram daily..and skipping rope count to 50.

Drinking water, no problem..peppermint candies are not soft on my tummy.
    I need something chocolatey..all the time..:spin

sriniketan

4. Sriniketan

That's a good information on how the Primrose oil is administered...I think it as a preventive method...am I right?

PMS support tea..um..had to look for it in the store..

You are right..yoga and pranayama helps in reducing it..if we do it regularly right..sometimes..we tend not to :bonk

sriniketan

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  5. Sriniketan

Hope this helps us too: Natural remedies...got it from the net, of course..

The diet should contain adequate animal protein, plenty of healthy animal fats, complex carbohydrates and a variety of fresh vegetables. Fresh fruits may be included unless a yeast infection is present. All commercial vegetable oils, both liquid and partially hydrogenated, should be excluded as these interfere with key prostaglandins and the regulation of hormone production. Foods rich in vitamin A, vitamin D, the B complex (especially B6 and pantothenic acid), vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, and certain long-chain fatty acids should be stressed as all of these nutrients seem to be key in easing the symptoms of PMS.

<H3>HERBAL HELPS

The following herbs may be taken in capsule, tincture or tea form. If using packaged capsules or extracts, follow the directions on the product's label. For teas, steep 1-2 teaspoons of herb in 1 cup of very hot water, covered, for 10 minutes.
    If bloating and sore breasts predominate, chamomile and dandelion are both effective diuretics. Diuretic foods include celery, watermelon, asparagus and parsley. To stabilize depression and mood swings, chamomile, lavender, and peppermint are excellent. These herbs, along with red raspberry and kava kava, are good antispasmodics as well, making them excellent for cramps.
    If headaches occur, these herbs are also indicated: fennel, sarsaparilla, squaw vine, licorice and wild yam, which are all hormonal balancers. They may help in relieving hormone-caused symptoms but should not be overused.
    </H3><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TD vAlign=top>
    Vitamin A:​
    <TD vAlign=top>Cod liver oil, liver, butter, egg yolks.<TD vAlign=top>
    Vitamin D:​
    <TD vAlign=top>Oily fish, lard, cod liver oil.<TD vAlign=top>
    Vitamin B<SUB>6</SUB>:​
    <TD vAlign=top>Brown rice, liver, beef, whole wheat, rye, lentils, alfalfa, tuna, peas, bananas, cashews, turkey, oats, blackstrap molasses, cabbage.<TD vAlign=top>
    Pantothenic Acid:​
    <TD vAlign=top>Brewer's yeast, brown rice, sunflower seeds, corn, lentils, whole wheat, rye.<TD vAlign=top>
    Vitamin E:​
    <TD vAlign=top>Fresh wheat germ, wheat germ oil, whole wheat, raw nuts, olive oil, peanuts, broccoli, pecans.<TD vAlign=top>
    Calcium:​
    <TD vAlign=top>Raw milk and raw milk cheeses, bone broths, sesame seeds, kelp, sardines, almonds, Brazil nuts, blackstrap molasses, watercress, dark green leafy vegetables, salmon, broccoli.<TD vAlign=top>
    Magnesium:​
    <TD vAlign=top>Kelp, beef, blackstrap molasses, sunflower seeds, all nuts, oats, brown rice, dark green leafy vegetables, corn, bananas, tuna.<TD vAlign=top>
    Fatty Acids:​
    <TD vAlign=top>Cod liver oil, salmon, sardines, mackerel, egg yolks and borage, black currant or evening primrose oil.

6. vyasraval

vyasraval New IL'ite

Infertility and Married Life

Hi Friends,

I am very depressed after a fight with DH y'day. Actually some of you may know that in my case i have hypothyroid and hubby's report is below normal level. My problem is may be my short tempered nature which is increasing day by day by in this journey. I am a kind of person who get angry easily and does not take to long to calm down. He has so many good points but when i loose my temper he does not pamper me , he replies back with his anger. Especially this things happens with us when my periods are about to come. I have tried so many things but can not control my anger around period dates. My parents are in India and i feel sometimes alone and helpless. I think that when i need his support , he does not provide it. He always replies with his anger and this thing is happening with us almost each month. After my periods everything is normal between us. does anybody have this kind of experience ?

7. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Re: Infertility and Married Life

VyasRaval,

My DH is the kind of person who would not take an ill tempered answer easily any time of the month. He will be tempted to backfire immediately. It is just the personality. Once you know how he behaves, half the battle is won there, don't you think? Instead of expecting your DH to understand your mood swings on his own, you take proactive steps. This is what I did:

Once I learnt to read my patterns of PMS, it was very easy for me to handle the mood swings. I made it as a joke whenever I was about to erupt as a volcano and tell DH, "Please don't tell me anything for a week. I am very irritable". Slowly it sank into DH too and he would also join with me and tease.. He would go, "Is this that time of the month? OOh I am so scared.. Let me not open my mouth at all"

I keep myself aware of what I talk.. sometimes I buy some alone time.. anything to avoid getting worked up.

Just write down your pent up anger in a paper and read it after PMS wears off. You will find them all silly and trivial. Now go and conquer that monster PMS and get back to be your Master.:thumbsup

8. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Re: Infertility and Married Life

Though your thread title is Infertility & Married Life, I still feel your OP better fits Me & My Spouse forum than infertility.. because it is all about how you both get into arguments during PMS.. Folks in that forum also might pitch in valuable tips is my 2 cents..

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  9. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

mm.. gyno forum! Did not notice this place yet! Good fit for the OP.:thumbsup

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Last edited: May 26, 2010