1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plz Give tips on Indoor composting

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by ChiDar, May 8, 2008.

1. ChiDar

ChiDar New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I'm staying in an apartment which has a small balcony. Got few plants in pots. I wud like to make compost at home. I've heard abt it. But don't know exactly the way to do it. We are throwing out the waste which is daily generated at home, mostly in the kitchen.. Jus thought of using it in a better way.

In one website i saw one company selling indoor composting equipments. But i don't plan to buy it. Can't we do it at home?If so, what are the things to use? It seems, the process of composting emits bad odour. any way of reducing the smell?

Wud like to get help from ladies in this forum who have done this before...
    If any of u are doing it or knows the technique, plz share it..

expecting some help...
    Happy Gardening!

cheers,
    sujithra
    Computer Typing

2. aparna chidri

aparna chidri New IL'ite

hi
    my friend went to gardening classes where they taught vermi compost prerparation there r 2 methods as u stay in apt container method is best if u wat i ll tell the method
    bye
    aparna

3. ChiDar

ChiDar New IL'ite

Hi Aparna,

Thanks for posting here. Can u share the method of vermicomposting.. Is it composting using the earth worms ? I wud really like to know how it is done..
    have u tried it at home? wud like to know all the details..

Cheers,
    sujithra

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hope this helps:)

Vermicomposting: Indoor Composting with Earthworms
    Composting is a controlled process of decomposition used to transform organic material such as kitchen scraps, yard wastes and paper products into humus. Humus, or compost, is a dark, soil-like substance that enriches soil with nutrients, increases moisture retention, improves structure and provides a good environment for beneficial soil organisms. Composting is usually done outdoors, but the process can easily be adapted for indoor use. So you can compost even if you don't have a yard, or if you don't like going out to a compost bin in the snow, or if you want to produce the highest quality compost there is: vermicompost!
    What is vermicomposting?
    Vermicomposting is simply composting with earthworms. Earthworms speed up the composting process, aerate the organic material in the bin, and enhance the finished compost with nutrients and enzymes from their digestive tracts. The best kind of earthworms to use are red worms, also known as "red wigglers" and "manure worms". These worms thrive in decomposing organic matter such as leaf piles, compost heaps and old manure piles. They are smaller than nightcrawlers and are reddish brown in color
    Red worms make composting indoors feasible because they are very efficient processors of organic waste; they eat and expel their own weight every day. Even a small bin of red worms will yield pounds of rich compost, also known as worm castings. Finished compost can be harvested in as little as two to three months. Redworms are extremely prolific. It takes about three weeks for fertilized eggs to develop in a cocoon from which two or more young worms can hatch. In three months the worms become sexually mature and will start breeding. Within a year you'll be able to give worms away to get a friend started! And you'll never have to buy bait for trout fishing again!

How do I prepare the bin for the worms?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 50pt; WIDTH: 90pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 90pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 0; mso-wrap-distance-top: 0; mso-wrap-distance-right: 0; mso-wrap-distance-bottom: 0; mso-position-horizontal: right; mso-position-horizontal-relative: text; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" type="#_x0000_t75" o:allowoverlap="f" alt="Red worms"><?xml:namespace prefix = w ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word" /><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>First, you will need bedding for the worms. Red worms can survive and breed in many kinds of bedding materials. The worms eat the bedding as it decomposes, turning it to compost along with the kitchen scraps you add. The bedding should be a high carbon material, such as fall leaves (best if small or shredded), shredded paper (such as newspaper, paper towels, napkins, paper bags), ground cardboard or peat moss, or a combination of these materials. If you use peat moss, make sure to mix it with other bedding as it is too acidic to use alone. Dampen the bedding until the moisture content is 50% (as damp as a wrung out sponge). It is important to keep the bedding this damp or the worms will die. Mix a few handfuls of soil or finished compost with the bedding. The bedding should fill the bin about 3/4 full. Vegetative wastes are buried underneath the bedding, which filters out any odors from the decomposing material below. The whole mixture will turn to compost in about 3 months. Now it's time to add the worms!
    What do I feed them?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Worms</st1:place></st1:City> will eat just about any type of kitchen waste including vegetables, fruits, coffee grounds, tea bags and egg shells (crushed). Do not add meat or meat byproducts. Bury the food scraps completely, so that they are always covered by bedding; this prevents development of odors and fruit flies. Don't add more food scraps than the worms eat in several days. The worms can't eat the food until it starts to decompose, so it may take a few months for the bin to get up to speed. For fastest decomposition, chop the food scraps into small pieces.
    How do I harvest the finished compost?
    After about 3 months you'll notice that the volume of materials has dropped substantially and the original bedding is no longer recognizable. At this point the finished compost and worms can be moved over to one side of the bin and new bedding added to the vacant side. Put new food wastes into the fresh bedding only so the worms will move from the finished compost in search of new food. After two weeks or so remove the lid under a bright light source. The worms are sensitive to light and will burrow away from it. Scoop out the finished compost a few layers at a time and place in a plastic bag or container until you're ready to use it. Latex gloves are very convenient for this task. Now add fresh bedding and the process begins again!
    How can I use the finished compost?
    Vermicompost, or worm castings, provides nutrients to your plants and helps the soil hold moisture. Growth trials indicate vermicompost has a more beneficial effect on plants than compost produced without worms, although the reasons for this are still not entirely understood. Vermicompost can be used in a number of different ways:
    1. Mix it into the seed row when planting.
    2. When transplanting, add a handful of vermicompost to the hole you have dug for the plant.
    3. Use as a top dressing, placing a layer of vermicompost around the base of plants (but not in contact with the stems).
    4. Mix with potting soil and sand (1/3rd each) for house plants.
    5. Give a quart away (with the worms still in it) to someone else who wants to start vermicomposting.

5. aparna chidri

aparna chidri New IL'ite

hi
    the process explained is same i wanted to tell
    for container method use one which has good drainage
    height of compost pile should not be more than 0.75 m
    container of 1mX1mxo.75m should contain about 1000 worms
    under any roof to avoid direct sunlight and rain.
    hope u under stood
    i dont do any gardening but know a little bit
    bye aparna

6. alivelu

alivelu Senior IL'ite

hi aparna,

I also stay at hyderabad. You told that your friend attended classes where she learned vermicompost preperation. I have gone through the post preperation of vermicompost by anadchitra even though i understood i want to learn through practical classes. Did your friend attended practical classes? Can you give the addresses and phone numbers of that institute ?
    waiting for ur reply
    Bye
    Alivelu

7. ChiDar

ChiDar New IL'ite

Dear AnandChithra n Aparna,

Thanks a lot for replying .. Have u tried it at home AnandChithra?I read thru the method.. i got a general idea abt it.. But the tips u have sent, doesn't detail abt the size of bin or the way it shud be kept etc...

One friend told me , u have to put the compost bin inside a bigger bin and the compost bin shud have holes under it. She says that at the bottom of the bigger bin we have to put brick and soil and then put the comp. bin on top of it.. so that when the excess water from comp. bin comes out thru the holes, it'll go to the soil in the big bin. Is it necessary for vermi composting too..? 'cos then the compost will become dry. isn't it?

And one more doubt, in the article u sent, it says the worms have to be put after 3 months of piling up the waste in the bins.. shall we put worms at the beginning or after 3 mnths? Plz reply

Happy Gardening.

Cheers,
    sujithra
    Computer Typing

8. aparna chidri

aparna chidri New IL'ite

hi alivelu
    she learnt in public garden (ph no is 23299779) . u might know this place but they teach theoritically here also.u know agriculture university in rajendr nagar there is aspecial unit
    there u can see practically.bye
    aparna

9. aparna chidri

aparna chidri New IL'ite

hello sujithra,
    as per my knowledge
    we have to wait for 2-3 weeks til the bed is cooled as they will be killed due to the heat.
    always sprinkle water keeping the bed moist but not soggy.excess water will be harmful.
    aparna

10. ChiDar

ChiDar New IL'ite

hi aparna,

thanks for the instant reply. now i'm clear abt the worm part of it... abt the bins, what do u suggest? shall i use 2 bins as my friend said? only when u start to do, u'll find that the details are important...

cheers,
    sujithra
    Computer Typing