1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

plz be aware in Airport

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vivbass, Sep 5, 2007.

1. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Dear all,
    i just want to give u all this info' may be u all must be knowing this.
    my friend's brother gone to US,during his immigration checking,in US his friend called him in his cellphone to ask to receive him in airport. while my friend's brother was chatting with his friend, the security person warned him don't use phone during this process,her brother just said no my friend just info me he is coming to airport thatz all,now i'll switch off,thatz all he answered & told his friend to cut off the phone,but the officier got angry & they take him to the officers & send him back to india,really he got shocked & came back to india.
    so i just want to info this matter to u all.plz tc while travelling abroad.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I feel sorry for your friend's brother. Is it bad to talk over the cell phone?Thanks for the information. I will also pass on this information to the people I know.sriniketan

3. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

oh my god!

What a shocking incident!I was aware that we should not operate any electronics while we pass all the immigration process and especially we should switch off our mobiles.But the punishment he got is too much and shocking!.And this reminds all of us about the discipline and rules once again.Lets all try to b cautious !!

Vaishu

4. Sheetha

Sheetha New IL'ite

Dear Vaishu,

It is really sad what happened.

I am really surprised that your friend used a cellphone during the immigration interview :eek:mg:

Would he have used the cellphone while interviewing for the VISA in the US consulate?

According to US Immigration Laws the VISA given at the Consulate does not Guarantee entry into the United States. It is the Immigraiton Officers that the Airports who have the authority to grant entry into the United States. Eventhough it might seem like that to the untrained eye, they are not just fact checkers who only check if you have a VISA. These immigration officers are actually making a decision whether or not to let you into the country. They do a quick name check to see if you are on their prohibited database, if you have any warrants etc in addition to many other decisions they make about you.

It is considered extremely rude and a great insult in the US when you are talking with someone about an important topic and choose to use the cellphone at that time. It might be a cultural difference between India and the US. I am not sure, but I think in India it maybe OK to talk on the cellphone even if you are in another important meeting. But the cultural etiquette in the US frowns very much upon that. Also he might have been talking an a native Indian language, which would have been an even greater insult to the person who is deciding whether or not you will enter the country.

He would have been seen as this haughty, rude individual who has not respect for authority. It is the cultural difference betwen two different countries that seems to have been the culprit here.

5. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

I see that happen a lot.The new genaration of Indians always on cell in stations ,public places.etc.
    Please note it is very disrespectful to talk loud in public places.

6. pebblebeach

pebblebeach Senior IL'ite

In which place in US this happened?

thanks,

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Its really surprising!!
    In which airport it happened like this???
    We are not suppose to talk in the immigration and custom's hall.
    And we need to follow the rules here....

Regards.

8. sridevi118

sridevi118 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Its really surprising and scary. In which airport it happened anyway?

9. rsa

rsa New IL'ite

its really surprising, where did this happen? India or USA, please let us know , so that we would be more careful.

Thanks,

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Its partially your friend's brother's fault. Isnt it obvious that cell phones should be avoided while in immigration check or any govt formalities to enter or leave the country. Its general knowledge. The officer cant be blamed for sending him back. I havent seen anybody do such things during immigration. And also the person who will pick him up from the airport doesnt need any more info apart from which terminal the flight will be landing. That usually is given before leaving India.