1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Pls help this beginner

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by tinku, Aug 1, 2014.

1. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I am a beginner and I would like to purchase a sewing machine for household purposes like stiching frocks, churidhar, blouses, etc.

I do not know anything about sewing machines or how to sew on a machine. But I want to learn and satisfy my household needs. I do not even know what a bobbin is. I do not know when a needle will break, about motor etc. I am planning to buy an automatic sewing machine and learn by myself because I have a small baby to take care at home. I can't go for any classes for a few years.

Some people say that learning is very difficult and is not as easy as I think. Is it so?
    i was planning to buy usha or singer machine like usha stich magic or wonder stich or singer 8280 as advices on some sites.

One friend of mine said learning is difficult and I need to go in for a basic model like mini Silai machine that just costs less than 2000 Rs.

Pls advice me. Is learning to sew on a machine that difficult? Pls advice on the sewing machine model with brand name if you suggest buying.

i like the machine to do little embroidery too.

Pls advice me soon as I am planning to buy the machine this week.

Thanks in advance.

2. prabha1

prabha1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

It is not difficult to take control of sewing machine, some singer dealers give you basic training on the control of the machine.

If the singer people r not supporting u can do your self , draw straight line
    On the fabric and stitch on it slowly,

All the best
    Prabha

3. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

hi tinku,
    am using usha sitchmagic for the past 4yrs very easy to stitch n maintain.it has embroidery,overlock,picot,patchwork, and so many options.but as a beginner u should have control to pedal.it has motor so it stitch fast.u first practice in ordinary manual machine before going to motor.u can watch youtube videos for learning.hope this ll help u

4. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

nothing will be easy if you view from out. Your interest and involvement will make you expert. we all are here to share our experience. buy any suitable machine within your budget and start

5. rainbowresh

rainbowresh Gold IL'ite

Hi dear,
    I was just like u when I bought my singer machine- automatic design stitch hi funds machine. I did not even know how to put thread in it. Luckily singer dealers offer free demo etc. There used to be a call them home for demo option also... Try calling their customer call center and tell them u want a medium range machine( neither too basic nor hi funds) and u want demo along with it. They all be able to guide u through.
    Good luck.
    U can stitch frocks, summer dresses baba suits etc in beginner level itself. Start with uncomplicated stuff like mentioned above.

6. jingi92

jingi92 Gold IL'ite

hi umasivasankar ... does ur usha sitchmagic run continuously for more than 2 hrs?? my niece has a singer brilliance but says it stops or slows down and gives a noise after 1-1/2 hrs and she has to stop her work?? ...