Pls help-ideas on marriage activities

Discussion in 'Andhra Pradesh' started by mrssmitha, Apr 2, 2009.

1. mrssmitha

mrssmitha New IL'ite

Friends,
    I am away from Hyd from past 3 years and have absoultely no idea on the recent changes in traditions or new ideas being introduced in marriages. My sis is getting married in mid of may and I welcome any new ideas to make it special to her and everyone attenting the occassion.

Like any new decoration ideas of diyas, bridal deco, gifts to guests anything different, new and does not cost a load of money.....please let me know.

Inviting all the ladies differently and showering the rose petals when bride and bridegroom comes to the stage is what I thought about. But not sure if these are old.

Please ladies....any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance

2. banuabida

banuabida Bronze IL'ite

Hello Smitha,

So thoughtful of you and lucky sister to have a sis like you! My warm regards and wishes for her wedding!

Try net bags with some goodies in. You can add dry fruits, fresh imported fruits, chocolates and stuff like that. Better go for some branded chocolates rather. You can give an idol of your favourite god like Ganesh, Saibaba, Lord Venkateswara in that goody bag. That would be really good.

You can also try giving message kind of thing thanking your guests for their blessings (folded fabric with tassels in the corners, like in olden days, how kings use to recieve/send messages). You can print the wedding date/venue/names of the couple etc on that. This might be a bit pricey, though.

You can also try bamboo baskets (wooden thalis) with net/tissue in gold or silver colour as a cover. Any colour with silver/gold undertone also looks great. But, they might be around 150/- or so each. Find out from your nearest wholesale market and they might be of some help. You can save a lot.

You can also try sweet boxes with some hand work on the lid of the box. Let it be some kundan or stone work. Suppose, select a small-sized box of good quality, so that your hard work survives. You have four corners available. A motif in the center of the box with a touch of leaves and stuff in the borders, either 4 or 2 opposite ones might be good. Contrast colours should be really good, like yellow and red.

On stage, for engagement/pradanam, you can have engraved dry coconut in thalis. They seperate the hard shell from the white flesh. Select a couple of designs and have them engraved on those. They do that in brown colour, mostly in our place, but dont know how they do.

When the wedding is over, the couple must come over to the dining place, at least for the photo/video session. You can have a special table for them (two seats only) and decorate the table top with flowers you like (select a particular motif like heart) and present their plates on top of the decoration. Have some diyas lit on the table.

Showering rose petals was there since I was a kid, but still I love the thought of it. May be you can try something different like different flowers, of course, that smell great.

Bridal deco, if you are more specific, that would be better to clarify.

This is your sister's special day. Let it be special by all means.

Hope this helps!

Divija.

3. archu1981

archu1981 Silver IL'ite

hai smitha...u are really gr8 sister...and all the best for ur sis..
    here some ideas are ..like what we dd for my brothers wedding...
    we bought palki forgirl and made her to sit and come to wedding place..the rent was only 300..and this will be done by uncle or brothers(cousins tooo)..........
    our theme of wedding was antique as it is hot style now..try to buy all dresses and jewllery in tht style make hall deco in tht style including invitations and all.the food was served in antique style we hired catering people who wore uniform like maharaja servents and served them not like buffet we made separate tables like 6 ppl per table and they used put all dishes in tables.. it went on well..everyone like it...try to do like that....
    and instead of putting regular film songsafter marriage try some thing like classical dance and nice old wedding songs...select them copy and play after wedding...
    try to come with new thoughts.........and for photo session call all the families...and try to avoid our family kids standing with the couple in all pictures..it looks akward.and try to capture nice moments of couple during theire wedding theire expressions and all..

4. santhisantosh

santhisantosh Bronze IL'ite

hi archana,
    i hav some ideas to share with u
    1-from the time u welcome the groom,start giving gifts for every one hour or so til the muhurtham time.they can be costly ,cheap or worthy-mean ,u can giv ur sis baby photograph laminated,u can giv a stone in jewellerybox,u can giv a rose with some words printed on petals( u get them in hyd).
    2-u can giv kercheifs or bags or purses :as take away gives,on which the couple names r printed along with tim and date.they cost less then 5/-each.
    3-at the murhutam tim,as soon as they tie the knot,distribute choclates.
    4-arrange a huge cake after muhurtam
    5-keep flower petals on the table and cover it with a platic tranperent cover and arrage their dinner on it.
    6-for the groom buy some silver insects(u find them in moda market jewellery shops)and add then in rasam, curry while surving food.
    7-make designed papadams
    8-while giving any sarees to in-law put some cardboard jewellery or funky jewellwery and convince them to wear it for fun (for few minutes).
    9-make a funny poster -ex:as a releasing movie---dir-ur parents;hero heroine;music-purohit;special apperence-u,ur kids;upcming part-honeymoon......etc.
    10-make some set of--kukum,turmeric,bangles.everytime u giv any saree to bride use this set.
    11-present the groom some funny set related to him-deodrant (empty),shaving kit(ladies shaving kit),comb(u can get very huge size and as small as ur finger),shoe ploish...etc
    hope these help u,wish u all the fun and xcitment.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009