1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Plese tell me where to buy FISH from and which one?????

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nehausa, May 17, 2010.

1. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

hi ladies,,

Q1.i am so tired of buying expensive fish salmon from Costco 22$for few pieces..

please tell me the name of fish and where do you buy it from..

Q2.please tell me do you give it to your babies if yes then how do you give milk i think both of them together can be wrong.???

thanks

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Neha:
    The frozen fish at Aldi's is cheap and good even shrimp...why don't you try tilapia? They also have good price on their frozen ground turkey chubs...one pound for less than $2...very cheap protein. When they have it (every so many months) they also have the frozen lamp roasts: boneless and you get over two pounds for $10.

3. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Neha,

I don't know at which place you are located, if in edison you get good fishes at Kamman (route 1), or any korean market do have good one for reasonable price near your locality. You can get even in Pathmark, not as good as before one, but definetely not bad.

I buy salmon, tilapia, king fish, cracker. I give my 22months daughter while lunch when i prepare it, but not like chilli powder masala,just i fry it plain and sprinkle ground pepper & salt, give her with dhal rice.

I don't understand your question here, what is the need to give fish and milk together. Fish you can give at lunch, milk you might give during morning or evening....i didn't get you here what are you actually looking for...

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

first of all thanks gokusha,tashidelek,,i live in edison,nj so i don't know aldi's ...

gokusha please tell me if you buy lump sum fish how u store it do you freeze it??
    or you fry and then freeze it...but path mark i bought sometimes it is expensive but not like Costco.
    i will go to kamman and update you..

(((((actually my grandmother used to say you should not drink milk after eating fish
    not very clear like till how many hrs it can cause some skin problems...))))).

thanks again friends for such prompt reply ,,,

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Neha,

Thats good to hear you are in Edison.Then try Kam man you will feel surely happy really quality and price.

Usually if Kam man i buy one small king fish which will cost me around 5-7$depending on weightage...i use to ask them to cut and give which gives around 15-20 pieces. No tips, as they mentioned in board itself.

When it comes to tilapia i get 2 fishes, which gives 12pieces cost will be around $5-6. Salmon usually i get at pathmark as they have filet which cost around 14$ which gives 8 big pieces. In Kam man you need get big portion, which i feel toomuch for us.

As i get 15-20 pieces, i usually keep it for 2 servings, once i come home, divide the portion and store in 2 ziploc which i can use for later. Yes i freeze the remaining portion which i am not using for now.

6. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Hi Neha
    fish should not be taken along with milk or milk products
    skin disease where white patchesare formed on skin
    my sister science field told me

7. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

I'm not a big tilapia fan, but I do buy salmon, catfish and flounder from Costco (not all at once). As soon as I bring it, I put them in separate ziplock bags and just take it out as needed.

Also, find out if there are any Chinese supermarkets near you. Its very cheap, and I usually get shrimp, grouper, halibut from them, and occassionaly, I get sardines as well and they clean it for you!

I have never heard not to combine milk products and fish - Indians eat yogurt and yogurt based curries with almost every meal, and if there is fish, its a great side dish. Unless your child is lactose intolerant, I don't see an issue. But ask your ped. if you feel any reason for concern.