Please share tips:ISTQB Foundation Level Certification in Software Testing

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by ManuuRaghuu, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hello QA Ilites,

Am currently preparing for ISTQB Foundation Level Certification in Software Testing.It would be helpful if i can receive tips on preparation,exam trends,books on sample papers etc from anyone of you who is already certified/taking the exam.

Thanks,
    ManuuRaghuu

2. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi Maanu,
    I have basic knowledge on software testing...Iam interested to know about this certification.Can u elaborate on this certification programme;like course content,cost,how to take the exam etc...I went to a website ISTQB: Home but couldnt get much ideabonk(sorry for asking too much questions)

3. ManuuRaghuu

Hi Ammukutty,

Iam only happy to answer all ur ques :)Even i got very confused in the beginning as there was no proper information about the exam in the ISTQB website.So here you go:

Abt the eXam:

Regardless of which National Board( like ISEB/iSQi) administers the exam everyone confirms to the guidelines of ISTQB & will provide you with ISTQB certificates. Its a Multiple Choice Exam of 60 min for 40 ques.For syllabus & other details go to the below link

ISEB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing : BCS

Taking the exam:

If you want to prepare and take the exam on your own you can take it via Prometric/other electronic test centers.There are also some accredited training centers from where you can take the course training and then give the exam after the course completion.

Cost :

255$

you can find cost and also schedule the exam from the above link.

http://www.register.prometric.com/Index.asp

Hope you got all the answers.

4. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi Manuu,
    Thankyou for taking time to explain about the programme.I will go through the link .All the best for your preparations:thumbsup

5. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Dear friends,

I wanted to learn abt software testing fundamentals/basics.Can u suggest me any good book on testing.?As i m new to this can u please give an idea of where to start from and what to refer?.Eagerly waiting for your responses.

6. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

:helpFriends,

Any suggestions regarding my query?.

7. ManuuRaghuu

Hi Selvik,

Sorry for the late reply.I took a course last year when i went to India but did not follow any text books then .Currently for the certification am preparing from Foundations of Software Testing ISTQB Certification by Dorothy Graham,Erik Van Veenendaal,Isabel Evans & Rex Black.This book has all the fundamental concepts .

You can go to any Borders book shop or browse amazon.com for other author's books.

Hope this helped.

Good Luck,

ManuuRaghuu

8. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Hi ManuuRaghuu,

Thanks for the information.I will look into it.If u dont mind can u clear few doubts reg. the testing field?.

1.I wish to start by taking up a course(QA testing)over here.So will the course only be enough to look for a job.?.

or

2.Shud we neccessarily do the certifications u have mentioned.?.

For your information i did my computer science degree almost 9 yrs back and then came a big period for my technology update.Now im willing to start it fresh.Hope now u will have an idea abt me and pls. give me your suggestions.

Sorry for asking too much.Bunch of thanks to u.

9. ManuuRaghuu

Hi Selvi,

Your welcome.Am glad to answer your questions.

1.Yes a course will definitely give you an idea but i don't think it is sufficient to get a job.You must also have knowledge on how to work with tools,testing techniques, etc.So you will have to learn from various resources available on the internet,books,forums etc.

2.As far as i read certifications are not a must but will definitely prove advantageous.

I suggest you to post this question in the "Software Testing Career" thread of the Working Women section so that experienced QA ladies can guide you properly.

Regards,
    ManuuRaghuu

10. smith21181

smith21181 Senior IL'ite

Hi ManuuRaghuu,

Could u plz tell me info about the ISTQB certification.
    I am from non-IT background class ,I did testing course in INDIA.I would like to know
    few things like.....Is there any prior experience is required in testing field to attempt this Exam?
    If yes how many years?
    can I attend this exam in USA ?

Behind the reason I am asking this question is one of my friend has told me to attend this exam u need at least 5 years work experience .So i just want to confirm it.
    Thanks in advance

thanks,
    Smith21181