1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help Me With "home Decor" !!

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by anika987, Jul 22, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I feel I have no taste when it comes to making the house beautiful.Clean is one thing but I like to have a beautiful space.I see my neighbor's,friends homes and many have awesome taste.Please help me..I am trying buy stuff from amazon.

Things I am looking for:-

1) Dining table center piece
    2) Rugs
    3) Vase
    4) Flower center pieces
    5) living room decor

Anything more please pour your ideas.

I am looking for something Elegant but my home looks gaudy :(

Please let me know with pics..I buy now from amazon.Also,if you can post links that would be so helpful.Thanks guys:)

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Amazon is not the best place for these items IMO. Look up Wayfair, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel and IKEA.

3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I like natural decor. Stuff from Amazon would add to clutter instead of bringing your own style.

The simplest and the best (in my opinion) centerpiece is something that can be used on the dining table. A wide mouth vase from Crate and Barrel filled with lemons, limes, baby apples, cuties..anything that doesn’t look like overly formal and busy.

Rugs- Pottery Barn or Wayfair has good selection. However, I love silk Persian rugs. You can find on Craigslist or Estate sales without paying arm and leg (can easily get it cleaned), it will be one of a kind.

Vase- Local artists co-op, glass blowers, or West elm, Crate and Barrel.

Flowers- I don’t like silk/ artificial flowers. Instead, I dry the seasonal flowers and use those in vases. You can buy dried flowers at Weat Elm/ Pottery barn if you gravitate towards natural elements.

Living room- you can find beautiful paintings from local artists or art during fairs. A good throw blanket (again Pottery barn/ west elm are my favorite) and some pretty throw pillows can make the space look new.

anika987 likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@anika987,

long long ago, there was a thread startedthread where a lot of ILs shared thier little nooks and corners. For inspiration here is the Enough of celebrity homes - let us share our homes and decorative items !

Personally, I like to keep things around the house that have some value/meaning to me. For ex., if I want a dining table center piece, I would rather have cut flowers say in spring/summer....some kind of candle arrangement in fall and winter. I also usually change up curtains twice a year and have different runners for all the four seasons.

But like I said, the thread may give some ideas. Enjoy!

anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I used to google interior decoration dining room, living area etc and see good ideas there...
    Plants and air plants good decor as well

anika987 likes this.
  6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Before you start buying you need to understand your aesthetic, or the design styles that are most pleasing to your eye. I would search on Pinterest, Instagram or google to find some interior that you find appealing.

Next, you determine your color palette. You have to limit the colors to warm or cool colors, but it’s better to limit the colors to 5 color. This means, accessories and furniture in this room will not stray out of that set of colors.

Repainting your room with an accent wall or even completely, can enhance the mood created.

Now, when you are shopping, don’t limit yourself to Amazon. Check out other stores and brands, and look for quality. Certain materials and fabrics can add value to the room, while others will look cheap. Choosing neutral furniture, makes it easier to tune up or down the flashiness. Permanent pieces in the room have to adhere to the color palette that you decided on.

Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks guys:) My taste is simple and zen like but somehow the output looks gaudy.I also like mordern decor but Somehow feel it will look weird in my home.

I am going to check out other websites also which you all have listed now:)

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Does furniture on Wayfair go on sale? Thinking of ordering a living room table set - one center and two side tables. Not sure if wait for sale or order.

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Wayfair has sales every now and then, particularly around long weekends and holidays. They also sometimes send out 10-15% off discounts if you sign up for their mailing list. Their big event is “Wayday” which comes in April. I don’t know Covid has affected all this though.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Pier one is good !! They do have deals ,coupons.. tj Friday , one more similar to it too .. u will find awesome stuff .pier 1 is what I liked . but recently it went out don’t know if open or not .. I moved from USA so don’t know much..