1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help Me...my Patience Has Crossed Its Limits

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by fourthaugust, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Why do they abuse you? What are their expectations from you? what is the basis of their arguments?

I did not read your previous posts but I think you are pregnant and calling them for delivery..if thats the case, then just sit down and don't do any work....tell them you have a lot of muscle pains and pressure, you just sit in front of TV, relax, get up, cut fruits, eat,...keep them outside offer themselves to take....tell your DH you need help in delivery but don't need stress....

There is a better way to handle such vocal in laws, give them silent treatment..shut your room door, and switch on music..and relax, come out when you are hungry/need to cook for yourself....or do any work that you want to do...else go out and enjoy the mall...tell them you need to go to your friends place...let them get bored here.....silent treatment should convey that you dont need them here, they are not welcome here....if they are cheap enough not to get hints (like my in laws) then, increase the intensity of silent treatment..stay in your room..spend time with your kid...dont show you can take care of kitchen...just do your work, enough to get your by, then keep the stress out by staying away from them...if they start serious abuse, then tell your DH that you will call cops..tell you rin laws on face that you will call cops if they tortured a pregnant woman...

sindmani and fourthaugust like this.
  2. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

They want me to follow everything as per their wish, even if they badmouth about my parents,I hould keep quite, even if they question my upbringing, I should keep quite, that is the basic expectations they have from me.

I am not pregnant , my second baby already turned 4 months .

3. Kiran6

Kiran6 Bronze IL'ite

Dear OP,

Congratulations for your second baby...:hearteyes::hearteyes:

I understand how it feels when they abuse your parents.... because I have gone through this.... Blood boils.. I mean it...

When they talk about your parents... raise your voice , look at their eyes firmly and tell them PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT MY PARENTS ANYMORE and then just walk away.

Even your husband will not complaint about this statement.. as you have not abused them back.

When they abuse you,,,, do not abuse them back.... but tell them to stop doing that... if they continue, tell your husband that you cannot continue to take this behaviour...

and when they abuse you just ignore... "Wise people ignore" .... and you have to be strong.... Strong people cannot be influenced by others words,,

Stay stronger... Be wiser.....

All the best

sindmani and fourthaugust like this.
  4. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

What are their wishes as in what do they expect from you?

Do they just start blabbering bad stuff to you every morning they get up or there is a trigger, whats that trigger? do they expect you to cook in kitchen or do some physical labor? is it possible for you to avoid their interactions while they are here?

even having a 4 month baby means you need help in taking care of baby, while you are recovering from child birth, eat good food, and no stress, stress hormones get released in breastmilk and not good for your child if you are stressed..

sindmani likes this.
  5. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

What excuse did they give for not helping you when you asked for it. I would suggest let them come over and help you. Get them to prepare food for you or take care of your children. It would be a relief for you. Regarding bad mouthing, taunts, etc don't give them the triggers. If they have high expectations from you or keep comparing you then tell them bluntly that this is how much you can do and that they should help themselves.

sindmani likes this.
  6. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Try to win people. Forget the past and see this as a new beginning. Even they would want to see their grandchild. If you object to their visit you will add in more negativity to your relations with them. Utilise their visit to the maximum. Take good rest, go forwalk etc.

7. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

If they were so eager to see their grandchild , where are they till now. Their only mantra is that they dont want to help me in any way. Now that he is 4 months old, they are not really going to help me since I have recovered from the childbirth. And cooking for me while I take care of my child is never going to happen.

The problem is that my mother in law is very dominating and egoistic person. Too much self obsessed and keeps praising herself and taunts me all the time(for e.g. how great DIL she was, never replied to her MIL).Also they praise other DILs a lot and sometimes openly state that how unlucky they are for having me. She also had the
    guts to tell my husband that I am not good for him and he will get a heart attack for sure in the future because I fight with him a lot(I think she imagines things because we are one of those rarest couple who argue but never fight or shout at each other ,touchwood). She also says that I am the worst mother because I discipline my child and the worst human being too.

They say the same things to our extended family too. but everytime she does such drama , she gets a tight slap across her face because though my husband stays silent mostly , he always cares for me in front of her. So by his deeds he tells her that its not what she thinks. He buys a lot of gifts for me etc.So that is why I do not want to bother my husband with all these things. Hence I have decided that enough is enough , I need to put en end to their visits here.
    Also my FIL teaches my boy that your mother is a bad person so do not talk to her. My husband knows this but again his eternal silence remains intact there.

8. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Let your husband know that you will try to play host as much as a tired mom of a 4 month old an another young child can.

You plan meals and cook what you usually do in larger quantity and ask them to help themselves by cooking what is lacking. Anyway you are not winning any awards here. So try not to break your back.

Remind yourself and them ( in some nice way) that they can pitch in for cooking and make their favourite food.

One point without compromise would be to talk to your in laws about not bad mouthing you to your child. Tell that that it damages their relation with their grandchild as well as affects his happiness not to mention confuse him in unimaginable ways. Request them to keep issues away from him for his sake. Talk to them about this in advance.

Try to get the stay shortened to 1 or 2 months or send them off on trips to keep them out of your hair.

You take walks with baby or seize opportunities to be alone, collect your thoughts and prepare to deal with them diplomatically.

Above all appear happy. It will kill them. At least you have a dh who understands even if silent. Remind yourself that this is temporary. All the best.

fourthaugust likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

When there is a young mother with two children, and she has the usual household chores foisted on her as well, additional guests at home is a stupid hassle.

If she cannot avoid this problem because this was brought on by her husband, and she needs to keep her husband a little while longer, she is pretty much stuck with no options.

Angry outbursts would exacerbate the situation, and not solve any problems. It is a fortuitous thing that she is not pregnant. So, with good pharmaceutical help, she could control her anger, and go jolly and weird. That could scare off the old people, and keep them well behaved, or at least, tolerable. Consult a doctor, and ask for prescription anti-depressants.

10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

how many wives are there ?