1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

please help me for my sister!

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sushmamohapatra, Mar 11, 2010.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sushma

Sorry dear! I didnt mean to..but remember this...good things are always hard to do...we cry tears of blood to take the right path and do the right thing..because it sounds and looks so tough...

This is the time for you to be strong, talk to your sister more, support her more with her decision and present situation. If she is thinking of filing papers, did you ask her whats her next move? i.e is she planning to go to India or live in US? what if her husband doesnt agree to accept divorce? how is she planning to live independantly? etc..these questions would help her to look for the answers and prepare her. These questions are not to scare her or stop her from taking any decision.

How would you tell this to your parents??? come on...good or bad they have always been there for any of their kids..even if they are not there..eventually they have to accept the situation. If they dont accept and want their daughter to die in their SNILs hands because she married him without their aprpoval..then we dont need such peoples acceptance isnt it??

Moreover your sister is educated enough and can support her self. She is not going to be a burden on anyone. So why she has to take any approval or acceptance from anyone?

I still suggest you both have to be strong. Mentally & Emotionally. Be practical. Sometimes somethings wont work for everyone. This life is all trial and error. She tried her best to be the best wife..but if the other partner doesnt appreciate and abuses physically how long she can take it. What if she gets physically handicapped? what after that? will he be satisfed? will his mother be satisfied? what if they plan to separate at that time? who will your sister be dependant on then? there is going to be more pain at that time than now.If she has a kid in b/w all this..its going to be more nasty.

Just let your sister think and act. Support her morally and mentally. give her those words of strength. let her follow her principles and rules. Atleast she doesnt have to blame anyone in future for her unhappiness.

Finally, ask your sister to talk to her husband openly on what he wants out of her. Expectations has to be clarified and corrected. vonage phone can be disconnected i mean unsubscribe to that service. stop paying for it and they would disconnect theservice automatically. if he is not willing to do it, he has to stop fighting as soon as the call with hsi mother is over. either this or that he cant have both.

If he has controleld his abuse after that warning about 911 thats good. Let your sister observe his behaviour and take it up from there.Ask him openly bluntly if he wants to live with her or not....she will get her answer.Just like the way she hurried to get married to this guy without any verification of his credibilities, tell her not to rush into separation also Take time weigh all options. future plans and then go for it if nothing works out with this guy.

Being separated or divorced is not a disease. Also to make a marriage work we need 2 people.by the way you are not in a mess. you are cleaning up the mess and helping your sister.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. Tara09

Tara09 New IL'ite

Sushma, First of all my HUGS to you. Please try and console yourself.

Your sister deciding to walk out of marriage is good for her. You can tell her to go to India and start looking for a job since she is on dependent visa here. There is no point is living with this bastard, anyways.

Also, tell your parents what hell she is going through and ask them what is the point in telling her to put up with all this. I understand your parents' anxiety and the reason for their trauma. But, then there is this whole life of hers that is being wasted if she compromises and puts up with all this abuse and do you think she should put up??? ....NO!!!
    Give her moral support and encourage her positively. She needs all this more than anything now.
    Good luck to you, your sister and your parents. Smile now and be happy, your sister's life is changing for good!!!

Tara

3. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Y can't a MIL just leave her son and dil alone???

Good for ur sis that shes walking out of this marriage.

Your parents will understand. If not, make them understand that ur sis will be happy being a single rather with that monster!!

4. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Sushma, how can the husband feel he is perfectly alright and does not need counselling if he is beating his wife? Is he on crack cocaine? This man is so deluded and has illusions of grandeur.
    I think like others said, it is best your sister ends this marriage. No Woman needs to go thru this barbaric treatment. I am with everyone who is suggesting to call 911. He needs to learn his lesson and realize his atrocities will not go unpunished. Please ask your sister to do this and why does she care if he goes to jail or gets deported or whatever? He deserves it. Plain and Simple.

5. sushmamohapatra

sushmamohapatra Senior IL'ite

Thanks Aruna, Malavika, Tara and Srividya.
    I am so happy to find this forum long back and get so helpful advices from all of you. I would have been able to get so much of advices from any of my friends as well. My sister is currently staying wid one of her friend, for a day or two, to think about her decision properly, as she was completely stressed out because of my BIL's attitude.

@Malavika81,
    My BIL has soo much of n ego and attitude that, he feels he is the ONLY s/w engg on this earth, who is earning so much, and that HE married a divorcee. This attitude wasnt there during their courtship days, as I used to meet him very often, and he used to disucss with me, that how can he not hurt my sister on her past. But gradually after their marraige, his mother started feeding him for every small thing, as she used to call him "n" number of times, just to say you went against our wish, tum dono ko meri badhuaa lagegi, look at you and look at her, she is nothing infront of you, we could have got 1000 times better bride for you, who would have had manners etc etc -- as MILwould say his son.Instead of oposing his mother, he took everything to soo soo literal meaning that he started ill treating my sister, and taunting her for her past, and saying exactly same statements as his mother used to tell to my sister or to him. This is how, my BIL has become over confident about himself. His family stays in the remotest part of India, and so is their thinking level limited ONLY to that vicinity.

@Tara,
    Thanks for the hugs and wishes. I definitely didnot want my sister to suffer this, after her first marriage. And so I was very very keen on to whom she is getting married. During her courtship days, I did tell her soemtimes, that he is very short-tempered nd its not good if you donot limit that right here itself, as that would get to your head later. But she was too busy in her studies and researched at that time, that she barely could understand this. You might say then, why she chose him? Thats where I would like to say, that he gave all fake promises to her, that he will adjust with her probs and that he will support her everywhere as and when needed. Whenever he used to tell all these things to my sister,I used warn her not to go by words, as guys do all this convince a girl. But she just could understand that difference. But now, it no point me going back to those things, coz she is married to him for the past 5 years now. I was there for her before and I will be there for now as well. And whenever she needs me. But yes from parental point of view, am more worried, because, earlier they bothh were not so aged. No my father is 60+ and mom in 50s, which makes me more susceptible to make them understand. What if either of them falls sick is not able to recover. Thats my ONLY worry about them.

@Srividya,
    Have conveyed yours and everyone advices, worries and yes genuine fallback plans to her. Thats the reason she is at her friends place to keep a little calm and think over things for herself. bein handicapped would be last thing I will ever think for her in my life. I can ask her to try to get that vonage phone disconnected somehow. I can try for that, and ask her to give it a try after talking my BIL straight about his thoughts and plans related to this marriage. He is such a jerk, that his mother is after my sister to get a baby, and since 5yrs now they r not able to plan out --1. because of their personal issues 2) because there is a probability of some issue either in my sister or BIL. My sister got herself checked in India as well as US.He is not even ready to get himself diagnosed, IF there can be a problem. His mom has completely made him feel he is the GOD for my sister and GODs are PERFECT! He controlled his abuses and beatings only for ONE reason -- that is fear of getting deported, which is of his interest. He keeps a distance, and doesnt even bother if his wife is having a problem or no, let the problem be health related or household work related or related to their relation or ANYTHING. He feels he is simply too great, that talking to wife should be something like a slum person is given some food or money or clothes. His wife should pay the cost if he is talking to her for anything and that turns out to be a reply in abusive language or beating her. I want her to think through her future first and then take any deicison. I will surely be speaking to her on things today as well.
    It take lot of courage to think on these lines and decided something like a separation, as on decision changes the entire life .. either for good or bad.

Thank you all once again for all the supportive responses and sugegstions, I feel little stronger now to help her out to take a right step and a decision.

Hope things go fine with her and my parents too.
    Sushma

6. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sushma

The root cause of this problem is your sisters mother inlaw. Has she minded her own business , your sister woud really have had no problem. vonage phone is the probem because the moment your bil talks to his mother , he starts torturing her.

Encourage her to take the right decision. Ya but definetely tell her to call the police if he again beats her so that he gets strict punishment. And regarding your parents, they will surely understand. No parents in the world would like their children to suffer.

Just tell your sister to take up a job soon in india so that she is independent and busy. Dont worry dear everthing will be fine.

7. sushmamohapatra

sushmamohapatra Senior IL'ite

Thanks Shruti.

My sister is definitely thinking for a job back in india and planning to get him as well for say 15-20days to sort this out and decide further, incase if things dont work out.

But recently happened incidences are .. my sister had emailed her mother-in-law to tell to help her save her marriage so that her MIL doesnt create issues and wrote something clearly to her stating S-MILs role in the arguments and misunderstandings that has been created. But on her MILs behalf, my sister's SIL replied (who is eventually married and did not like her brother getting marrid to my sister and thinks on the same lines that of her mother). SIL blamed my sister of not accepting their family, as my sister does things for my family, where this was wrong, and both my sister and BIL spent LOADs of money on her marriage and they were bankrupt when they were in India. SIl blamed my sister for not caring and respecting BILs family, and all the same things as a typical SIL would blame. She did not even point a single mistake of her brother but kept on asking my sister if she wants to keep / save this marriage. My sister replied to her with giving details of their games.

In this all, my BIL just wrote one liner, to stop all these mails. I thought I should call my BIL and speak to him, but he never answered. So I replied to my sister's SIL, and asked my BIL to talk and clearly told him, that IF he beats her now, he will b forcing me to get him deported back to India.

All this mess was conveyed to his father who is posted at some xyz location in India. When S-FIL called my BIL a day back, my BIL told his father to relax and nothing will happen kind of answer.

He is not beating my sister, but at the same time, just bothered about his OWN job, meals, entertainment etc. He simply asks her if she wants to eat or if she has had her dinner / lunch. He did get scared by 911 and is doing all this, but there is no change in HE DISCUSSING ISSUES WITH MY SISTER!

By all this, it just seemed to me that, those people are simply thinking something major to hit back to us OR they are simply not bothered to communicate and sort out these issues as their son is with them. Its silly to think about what they are planning as we would come to know only when they do. But it would impact badly.

Please let me know your suggestions / views, if I am thinking too much?
    Sushma

8. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

Dear Sushma,
    I don't think your sister should even try to save her marriage unless your BIL goes for anger management.If he is trying to be nice..ask her to bring this up.If he says no then she should walk out.

Here is a link to the MA laws and she can check them out and weigh her options.If
    Massachusetts Law About Domestic Violence

If she does not have a job and Visa then the govt usually helps her with all that...This is state sponsored...alll the TAX dollars coming to good use.

Please tell her that our prayers and good wishes are with her and she should take the right decision thinking about long term.If she lives here your parents should worry about Stigma.