1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me decide if i should return or keep my food processor

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by SriPriya123, Dec 13, 2012.

1. SriPriya123

SriPriya123 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I got a cuisinart 7 cup food processor for about 65$ or so, which is a good deal considering that the original cost is about 100$.. But here is the issue..

1) I grated carrots - they are grated very big, and not fine like the way it comes out of a grater... For that i think i would need to purchase separate blades

2) I shredded cabbages - the cuts were fine, but again splitting it into 4, loading it, removing it out of it, and again loading, looks to me like it takes the same time as cutting by hand.

3) slicing tindoras- it was very good, i think it almost did it in half time.. nice n fine, so that cooking time was also fast

4) making chappati dough - BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT
    i somehow learnt earlier to make quite soft phulkas, and when i used FP to make dough and make rotis out of it, they were so hard.. Just to give myself benefit of the doubt if i was doing something wrong, i tried again the next day - still bad...

5) I've vidalia chopper for onions.. so i wasnt concerned about onions..

Now i'm in a dilemma, to return it or NOT

It was a good deal that i may not get again.. but its not so good as expected. so rather than just rotting in kitchen i want to return it, but again the deal price flashes before and makes me think again.. Is FP really useful n cuts down your time??

What do you say ladies, am i missing some good feature that makes it worthy to keep or should i return please post your suggestions..

Thanks!

2. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you are not satisfied with the end result, as you have option of returning it, better to return it. I too had vidalia chopper gifted my co-sis. Found it difficult to cut slices, then to keep in that to cut as small squares. Still I was using it until it broke. Otherwise I use Anjali veg cutter with board almost for past 13 years. Only twice I sharpened the blade. Now I have another veg chopper, which is very useful I feel. Given the link in TM thread II.

Regards
    Manjukps

3. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Sripriya,

I could totally understand your dilemma of returning your food processor as Cuisinart appliances are always expensive.

I have been using food processor from ge company and it works fantastic.I just love it for chopping, grating and grinding my dalwada batter, to make course paste for green chillies,ginger etc.It does not have option to knead dough in it. Personally I would not prefer to use for dough as it would be too much work for cleaning.I use slicer side to cut cabbage as grated side is too fine for me for cooking vegetables.The motor is very powerful as well.

while Kneading dough I put water or milk in my big bowl and then add flour and try to mix it with fork to avoid the mess and then it becomes easier to knead with hand.I find it easy, quick and convenient.

I would say first buy food processor from another company of your choice and compare both in terms of its functions and then decide which one to return it. Please try to look for the consumers reviews as well which would help you decide the one which you like.

Love,
    Bhavna

4. SriPriya123

SriPriya123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Bhavna, but i'm not sure my husband would let me buy another one, before i make a decision on the cuisinart.

I have decided to try it for another week as per the suggestions i received, before moving on to using slicer or another FP. Thanks for chipping in!