please help - ginseng in prenatal - ok???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by savannas, Nov 24, 2010.

1. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ladies,
    My periods are delayed and I am waiting to get an appointment with ob/gyn for confirmation.. I was taking folic acid and becosules as per suggestion of my Indian family doctor.. That got over yesterday and so we bought over the counter prenatals called 'Rainbow Light Certified Organic Prenatal Multivitamin'
    Till yesterday, I used to feel a bit tired and sleepy - after starting this lastnight, I feel super enthu and very energetic (which is nice). I remember the lady at the shop told me, it contains ginseng which may make one feel energetic.. So, today I just wanted to check what this ginseng is all about ( as I cannot imagine such a sudden shift in energy levels within a day..) And when I read online about ginseng in pregnancy, general advice is avoid this ginseng herb .. Now I am worried - can someone tell me what to do??
    Did anybody else take this multivitamin ? Does any one know about herb based multivitamins ?? Should I switch over to a different brand ?? Its 4 -5 days since I missed my period.. so, its early, but I know many people say this early time is important - so am kinda freaking out..
    can someone please help me ??

regards
    Savitha

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Savitha,

How about stopping the drug ... Just carry on with folic acid ONLY. Do not take anything else which causes high or low energy till you rule out pregnancy. It doesnt matter what it contains or not.. simply stop taking it till you confirm with your Gynec.

3. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi Preethi,
    Thanks a lot for responding.. I was worried the title of my post itself may shoo away people from responding.. (ginseng - surely not a household term.. !!)
    Anyways, My first apt with gyn is Dec 3rd and I was intending to take these as an interim option only.. Can't imagine - after picking an organic, vegetarian prenatal, still there are things inside the pill that make me worry :hide: Hmm.. Any suggestions on a good alternative for folicacid/prenatal ? What did you take during your pregger days?

suggestions from others welcome too ..

regards
    Savitha

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Like Priya said, my suggestion would be not to take anything until your pregnancy is confirmed dear.

5. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Savitha,

If pregnant, all you need is 800mcg of folic acid.. otherwise while on TTC you may need 400 -600 mcg.

So any brand ( over the counter ) with 800 mcg ( if your strongly feel you pregnant ) is all you need. Moreover, it does not hurt to buy 400 mcg and take it twice.. If pregnancy is not confirmed then, you could still continue with 400 mcg till you get pregnant.

I took folic acid right fro the time I got married, and we had decided we wont have baby till 2 years of marriage. So, I was on 400mcg right away. Our TTC journey was just 1 month and I conceived in the first month.. But, I had no clue and never thought it could be pregnancy, so continued with 400 mcg.. Once I confirmed, I asked the doctor to prescribe a prenatal, so that I get DHA and folic acid and I dont have to pop in two pills ( I was already nauseating like crazy )..

So, just buy an over the counter pill of folic acid of 400 mcg and have two of them till your appointment. From thereon, you could ask your Gynec to prescribe one.