1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Please help getting rid of ants

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sharika, Mar 4, 2006.

1. sharika

sharika Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Does anyone know any helpful hints for getting rid of ants. I'm currently having lots of problem with ants in my house - they everywhere - even on the kitchen counter.

For the dog's food, I put the food bowl into another bowl filled with water, so that helped with one problem.

If anyone knows any ideas please post it. It will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Ants Removal

Hi,

u can use lakshman-rekha chalk on the area whereants come. they all die within 2- 3 minutes. Ensure that your house remains clean and dry all the time, when something falss down etc, wipe it off immediately. Store items like sugar, jaggery etc in air tight containers and close it tightly after use everytime. Kitchen platform should be dry and clean all the time, that is very important.Hope these tips help

Purnima

3. Maggie

Maggie New IL'ite

Ant bait gels

Hi sharika,
    I had gone through the same thing regarding blackants and its only until past 2 days i don't have any ants at all.Got rid of them forever.
    Firstly can you find out if you get ant baits where you are residing.Sprays did not work at all for me.I had these small sugar and grease eating black ants and after spraying, they moved to other corner of the room and made their nests.The bait which i used is called maxforce ant gel, there is an enclosed syringe and you just squeeze it in some place near to the trail.I squeezed it high up on the wall so that my baby would not accidentally get near to it in anyway.These are transparent gels with high protein sugar and poison for the ants.My only concern is your dog,cause he need to be away from the gel,as it can be poisonous if swallowed.Please let me know about the availability of ant bait gels.Early reply would be appreciated cause in a day ants multiply in millions..
    Any help please let me know
    maggie

4. sharika

sharika Senior IL'ite

Hi Purnima,

Thanks for your reply. Can you please explain to me
    lakshman-rekha chalk, I don't think that we get that here. Everything in the house is always clean and dry. Items like sugar are stored in air tight containers and are put away in the cupboards, only appliances are left on the counter and the ants just walk there anyways. Any other ideas will be welcome.

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your reply. My problem is with red ants. Since today was rainy, there were none. I am currenly not aware of any ant bait gels here. Is there any other way to get rid of them using common household items that are easily available worldwide. We have this spray here that you spray on doors and windows (works for three months) but recently there has been lots of rain on and off so every time it rains all the spray gets washed away, so when the sun is out for a few days then they back, then I spray again and when it rains again they back. Please suggest any other methods to get rid of them.

Should any one else know of any method to get rid of ants, please let me know.

Thank you!

5. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Try kerosene oil

Hi Sharika,

Looks like you don't get the anti-ant stuff at your place like the chalk or gels or spray.

Why don't you try the conventional kerosene oil, if you can get it in your place? Just draw a line with the oil using a brush in the areas where these red ants line-up or spray the kerosene oil.

Be careful about kids or eatables if any left around the place.

Regards,

Rathi

6. Maggie

Maggie New IL'ite

vinegar

Hi sharika,
    I used common available vinegar in an empty spray bottle and sprayed wherever they are.This suffocates and kills them but i dont think you will get rid of them.Also I keep bay leaves in the shelves and counter...in my case black ants.You try out what works for red ants.Also I kept everything sweet in the refrigerator....... like sugar, honey, cornflakes, cookies............sounds crazy but in my case they were everywhere.Let me know if i could help you in anyway.

maggie

7. sharika

sharika Senior IL'ite

Thanks

Hi Rathi,

Thanks for your help, yes we do get kerosene oil here. I have never seen the gel and chalk but we do get sprays here.

Hi Maggie,

Thanks again for your help, I will definately try out the vinegar since I do have it at home. Lets hope it works.

Thanks again for the replies.