1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Please give suggestions.I do noy want my daughter yo waste an year for kindergarten!

Discussion in 'Indians in Michigan' started by EagerForInfo, Jul 16, 2015.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Re: Please give suggestions.I do noy want my daughter yo waste an year for kindergart

That's not good for your kid. Try to remedy by putting her in outside classes that challenge her and fully occupied. If this tendency to boredom and goofing off in class becomes a habit then it will cost her in higher grades. Elementary school is the time to develop good working habits so dont let her get a taste for goofing off.

1 person likes this.
  2. kajal1000

kajal1000 New IL'ite

Re: Please give suggestions.I do noy want my daughter yo waste an year for kindergart

My experience, its not good to be youngest in class. Kids are less developed than others and then lag behind and then loose confidence, unless the atmosphere is very supportive.

3. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

I agree. It is not good to be younget in class esp in a very competitive environment. Dont panic early, Wait for couple of years and when she goes to bigger grades she can take testing for accelerated class and chance of her performing well is high when compared to other kids. It will be otherway around if your kid is youngest inthe class. Just my experience.

4. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

OP a lot depends on what your future plans are and whether or not you plan to return to India later at some point within the schooling phase of your child. Even though international curriculum schools have mushroomed across India (some of them are very good) and you could easily put your daughter in one that offers her the desired curriculum, but shifting back to the Indian curriculum would be tough on the kid as that curriculum is far more academically rigorous and competitive as compared to most international curriculums.

P.S. Being one of the older kids in class is advantageous in many ways; faculties to grasp structured education are more developed in older kids within the age bracket of a class, though exceptions are always there.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

True, the grade matters if moving across countries. It is tough to convince a school in a new country that child is capable of "skipping" a grade. And tough to tell child she has to 'repeat' a grade.

But, the bored and unchallenged in class problem is not related to being the oldest or missing cut-off date. Even children who are of average age for the grade can be bored and unchallenged if the teacher is not keeping them engaged, or if they did previous years' schooling in a more academic or advanced setup. Or if the school is simply not the right fit for child. Or, if that particular teacher is lazy, new, or about to retire or ...

Kids from private schools entering public school in 3rd- 6th grade feel it too. They are bored at least the first few months of public school. Parent has to step in and make sure child is being challenged enough. Sometimes, it is as simple as getting child excused from regular work in a subject (Math?) and she does a separate workbook.

1 person likes this.
  6. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

I have no opinions about private schooling till now. Why would I not consider it? Could you please elaborate please?

Thank you,