1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

please give some valuable suggestions-Need help.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by jas12, Sep 11, 2014.

1. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

Hi il,

Its been long time ive posted here . Though I read all the post I didnt reply because I feel I am not capable of advising for others problem while I dont live a perfect life.
    Right now I am writing here with a heavy heart..dont know how to take forward this problem or find solution.and I really dont know whom to share this problem.
    I'll give brief summary about myself.we live in a joint family but live in different houses which is attached to another house.my husband has one elder brother there were living separately because they have two kids..they cant come and eat at one place.we do cooking in our in laws house.for the past 8 months ive been cooking in my house and in laws will come and have food in our house.now suddenly my mil fell ill she had a surgery recently so my bil decided to shift cooking in laws house and kept one cook.now everybody have food there.
    I used to go to my inlaws house frequently to ask if they need any help and do whatever it is needed.my co sister wont come frequently because she has an infant.but didnt leave the old maid in her house she kept her for other household works.
    I ve completed pg but not working as per my fils order.he want dil to do household work properly , look after the kid , look after the husband.this is the only motto that we should ve.he doenst like his dils to go out alone.i ve not gone out alone after my marriage.if I need anything I should ask my husband to take me out .even if I need to go out to beauty parlour I ve to take my husband with me.the main problem is that we should not raise any issues that we we are not comfortable with .he is a short tempered person.if we make any fault i work he will scold like anything.basically I am very soft person and my co sister too.both dont have the guts to stand againt him.we almost tremble in fear if something happens.
    Now the main Issue is that last week my fil called me said in a higher tone that give two packets of milk to your co sister.if you need any milk packet ill get separately for you.i said I need one cover.thats all I said.he began to shout that you should not talk like that.your tone is not proper.you should ask me very politely and not in this way.i started crying immediately I could not control my tears and said I ve nt asked something wrong.my mother camethere suddenly and saw me crying. (My parents came to visit my mil who is not feeling well) she asked what happened I didnt say anything.i was crying the whole day.my husband saw me crying but didnt ask me anything.i was very angry for that and didnt speak to him the whole day.i was very sad what I ve done wrong I only asked my share.next day he didnt speak to me I too didnt speak to him.like this 5 days went.after that I make a move and came to speak to him he didnt respond .i tried speaking to him for two times he again didnt respond.i was very hurt inspite of all hurtings I came first and made a move.now today my parents were about to start to thier hometown. He asked my dad to come and spoke that I should be more polite while speaking to elders esp him and I need to help them in household works.the real fact is I always volunteer and help him whatever they need.but my co sis doesnt eve come down to ask anything if they need anything.she only come to have food.but he didnt complain about her for all those things.
    I was really hurt I did all the work in thier house and cook for them for the past eight months but she has her maid for everything.now my fil said I need to help him more.
    I feel really really hurt.i dint have any happiness Iife.i feel very bored and I always be in home only.now I cant step out In weekends too cos of my mils illness.
    I feel what life is this.for what purpose I am living here.only to serve them? I feel like comitting suicide sometimes..I know that will not be the solution but still I feel like that..i feel its okay that if didnt go to work but atlaest they should allow us to go out alone.
    I really dont know what to do...feeling verý low .

2. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Is he your fil or boss to order do that this, are you working as a maid in his house, no gentlemen would treat women that too a dil of a family.
    1. Find a job or at least take tutions at your home until you find a suitable ones
    2. Don't get stressed of fil's behavior. Also don't cry and show your weakness, if you stand strong no one would tell you anything. If people know you are fragile then they would use it for their advantage
    4. Talk to your husband, if there is no mistake on your part, never go for sorry just for the sake and later regret.
    5. Make him understand that we need to be democratic at home and not under the dictator like your fil.
    6. Choose some hobbies, divert yourself, do learn something on part time basis.
    7. You are dil of that house and not a servant maid to just do all the households, tell him politely in his language, if you tremble then he will climb on your top to dictate terms.
    8. How many years are you married? do you have kids?
    Don't feel great for merely cooking at their house, they are using you for the personal benefits. Develop respect for yourself first, having done pg, try to do some worthy thing using it.
    9. Going out is all your freedom, if they deny, fight and get it. What is your husband doing seeing all these drama? Is he a silent spectator or what?:confused2:

4 people like this.
  3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

This doesn't look like a normal adult-adult relationship. Talk to your husband and establish your expectations.
    You are bending too much to the extend you will break any time. You will regret living like this if this continues.

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It is much easier to stand up and fight back than think of suicide.Don't be silly girl.
    Your fil unfortunately is one of those men who think it is their birth right to bully their wife and everyone else's wife. They seem to get some kind of satisfaction in it.
    Well...the daughter in laws are not his ...to like or not...he does not own you.People like this probably never worked a minute to build respect as they think it is their birth right to demand it.

First step...talk to your husband.Tell him you feel disrespected when your fil talks to you rudely.Tell him it is not acceptable.tell him to tell fil...if he has a problem with you...he should either talk politely or convey the message through your husband because you don't want to be talked rudely to.

Second step...Tell your husband you would like to take up a job...at least a part time job. Tell him as a married couple ...only you both get to decide about it ...not your fil.You could start with some volunteer or charity work first .This way they may have to shut up.

If he shows attitude by ignoring...you do too and continue to do what you are doing provided you are sure you were right in the first place.Don't apologize if you are right and don't try to appease him.

Slowly try to increase your influence in your house hold. Volunteer to do some bank work or important shopping work while husband is busy in office and you go and do it. Tell him you used to do all this before marriage and are very comfortable doing it. Let your husband know and step out. Do it one time....if some one objects just ignore. And then do it again. You are not a bonded labor bought by your control freak fil.Don't act like one.

If he complains to your parents...let them know how suffocating it is to live in their house under the rule of the fil and tell them to ignore or tell him that you are educated and know how to deal with work outside home.

Reduce your interaction with fil....if you have to deal with in laws...go directly to mil and ask her.Avoid your rude and controlling fil.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

God1234,
    AS I said earlier they wont allow us to go for a work.then about tution once mu mil suggested that I take tutions in free time in front of fil.for that my fil said I doesnt have time for all that...
    About my husband though he is a very caring person but he cant stand against him.he is the dearset son of my fil.i always say that j need freedom he listen to all thoss things which I said and will say dont worry everything will be alright soon.if I again n again say my problems to hi he says I give you freedom you go whereevr you want .but the fact is if I do like that I cant face my fil after that.as I said earlier for a simple milk cover issue he made it a big issue that pls think what he ll do if I go out against his will.then I cant live in peace anymore.if he is even more angry he ll treat me like a servant or dont speak to me properly.
    I have been married for 5.5 years and have one kid who is 3 years now.

I always feel I should not create problem in the house and make everyone unhappy. But by doing this I am always unhappy.only weekend s I go out and my husband make fun of me saying that I dont like staying in the house and only like to roam around.that make me even more inferior.

1 person likes this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You let him know and then go out.If your fil says anything...just tell him "my husband knows and has no problem".Seriously...your husband needs to grow up and grow a spine. He is a father now and should behave like one.

Why do you feel inferior? He should feel that for making you live with these restrictions.Next time he says that...give him your best smile and say"yes...it feels so good to be out and not feel suffocated all the time."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Who is your fil to decide what you want, don't want? Big boss of the family means he must restrict his atrocity with in his family and not yours. Who is he to tell your plans of taking tutions, they should not have brought a pg graduate as dil instead an uneducated is enough for their son.
    Remember one thing in life, you cannot satisfy everyone in life. Now you are venting becoz you are unhappy, seeing the happiness of your family you lost yours. Seriously you seem to be like a slave, with your fil as your master (i am not telling to hurt you).

Please come out of the shell, 6years of marriage is gone, atleast now grow up to do something. If you fear surely people will treat you only inferior. Plan your life, even day today activities if somebody is dictating then you are living merely for him or her and not for yourself.
    Your weakness is not fear, but worrying what will he think if i do this. If your fil is not speaking enjoy :banana.. Learn to act smartly, if that old man can be smart to control you, being young you must show your cleverness. Also if you worry, he will think yes this girl will get upset if we scold so to torture her let us do it. Take this issue easily, what milk packet, Keep this in mind and when you get a chance play your game. waitingsmiley
    One day don't get milk at all, make your husband ask him or tell uncle i don't know what best language to please you so i didn't ask for milk, sent your son, put him on his face, he will never come to you.

Today women needs smartness to tackle people at home, when old brains can think so much we must outsmart them to an extent that they understand us and respect us. You are fighting gor your own freedom and not kargil or indian borderfight. So don't fear.

1 person likes this.
  8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My life would have ended up like yours had we not left the country. For first 3 months after marriage, I was not even allowed to go to the main gate (we lived in an independent house). If anybody came to the gate, I was asked to go inside. If my family called me up, I was allowed to only talk for a few minutes and then had to hand over the phone to my inlaws. Where was my husband during all this? He had a wonderful boss who kept him on the road all the time.

Finally when my husband was in town for a whole day in between, I sat and really cried. But I also told him that if I was not allowed some freedom, I would walk out and go back to my parents (he did not know it but it was an empty threat).

So he talked to his parents, and I got permission to go out for one hour every evening. I would run off to the temple nearby and just sit there. Got a lot of peace by doing that. And that was when I started praying for my husband's dream of coming to the US. I realized that there was no way I would have any life unless we were outside the country. Not even just outside the city coz if that happened, they already told him that I would have to stay back with them.

Main thing is to make your husband understand. Fighting, arguing, never gets us anywhere. Repeatedly talking, asking is what will get results. Don't ask for much. Maybe tell him that you need to go for a walk everyday. Start small. Once that is achieved, go to the next step.

All the best, and since I have been in your position, I know that all it can ever bring is pain and sadness. But be strong and you will be able to come out of it.

2 people like this.
  9. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

Yellowmango, god1234, blckbeauty84,
    I know what I am doing is like a slave kind of a thing.but really I dont know how to slove this.itsbeen 5 years from day 1 he is like that how can change all of a sudden.
    I also wish to go out alone and speak what my mind says and not heart.but I always fear for aftereffect.today my parents advised me to obey them.but I asked what if I am doing for all these years? They also know everything but couldnt speak behalf of me because of his bad temperament. Till now I didnt speak to my husband.my fil always says I am getting you whatever you need.you gals a r e not having any difficulty getting what you needed.my husband too get me evrything what I need.but all I need is freedom.

10. deepideepi

deepideepi Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,
    This is 3 years of my marriage now(Love Marriage). The first two years was disaster for me. Everyone used to take advantage of me. I was quit and silent kind of person at my inlaws place coz new place, new people and new environment. It took little time to understand between right and wrong and intention of people around me.

My sister in law used to live near to us(now we sifted to different place). They came to visit our place to see their mom everyday morning to evening. I was fed up of making tea, Snacks, dinner, lunch and so on..my house was like sabji mandi. My sil thier husband and their kid almost everyday..their was no privacy in our life. My baby was very small then, PIL husband, so much responsibilities.. All family member sit in one place and chatting with each other and used to be busy on making food for them. I was sacred of my Mother in law so much. My husband was not so supportive in my early days.

One day i thought now this is it...i m not going to be maid of any one and will not let anybody to take me for granted. After birth of my DD my husband started being supportive toward me. I convinced him about wrong and right.

Then after whenever they try to use me i fight back. There was a big fight till one or two hour. I fight with my MIL and SIL. After that day they are scared inside. My SIL return loan to us which she was not returning which was taken so many years before.
    Even i didn't mention about loan in our fight but she scared of me by knowing another me..:). Later on i convinced my husband to move from that place. Now we are living happily. They come here to visit us once in a month..we also visit them once or twice in a month and relation is better now..

SO the conclusion is speak up and fight back..before that u should convinced ur husband and make him to support u. otherwise it is very difficult to take step without husband.

thx

5 people like this.