Please give me information about playschools/schools/nanny/daycare!!!

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by swaran, Jan 23, 2013.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All

My company has offered me a singapore long term oppurtunity (not got my visa yet)...My DD(3.5 years old) is doing her nursery here in india...once i am confirmed for the travel,i am planning to move to singapore,check out the schools/nanny/daycare options and then take my DD along..i am not sure whether anyone will accompany me in taking care of my DD and i am setting my mind for the worst case,just me and DD..
    I believe her nursery education here will get over by march end-max april...so i need to arrange everything before hand and take her...i might be travelling during the 2nd or 3rd week of feb(if everything goes fine)

So i would like to know about the education system in singapore!!

(1)Is there any LKG there??..what is the age group they allow for LKG?...which schools are good?..

since i am not sure how long i ll stay there..could be for 6 months or 1 year and i ll be taking care of her educational expenses alone(my company might sponser a part),i am not planning to put her in a very costly school...and anyways i ll come back to india in another 1-1.5 years mostly..and she ll continue her education from here..

(2)my work will definetely be hectic 10AM-8/9PM..mostly i ll be available full day on sundays only,may be saturdays(depends)..so i am thinking of nanny/daycare as well..

i have no idea of anything there..i have few friends there to help...but i would like to know from my virtual friends here of how exactly the educational system will be and the nannies/day care system...is it wise to take my DD along..??

Please help me!!!

Thanks in advance

1 person likes this.

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

swaran, i have no idea about singapore..but i would like to advice you to join your kid in a school which has presence in both singapore and bangalore like say DPS/ NPS..there are few other schools who have branches in India..i guess GIIS has branches in SG and Bangalore too..the fees might be a bit high, but u needn't search for any other school after coming back to India..JMO..
    if u plan this way, may be your DD can join school for the academic session 2013-14 for KG1

3. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Hi Swaran,

Congrats. I just dropped in to wish you luck though i dont have idea about singapore schooling.

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi sushma,
    thanks a lot for making the first feedback :)
    we are actually planning to put her in a central govt school than an international(i guess this DPS/NPS are international ones,sorry if i am wrong,please correct)once i come back...
    but you have any idea about which month singapore's academic month starts jan/june ???

thanks a lot vsharma :)

5. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

hi swaran
    welcome to singapore. i just shifted to sing in dec.I hv enrolled my son in giis. Yes indian schools are expensive. indian school follow the same timelines as iNdia. the new term starts in apr. i dont hv idea on day care. but may be u can get a full time maid becos ur worktimings are long.NPS follows the same age criteria as blore some of colleagues had given test in the blore center. so chek it out.

prabha

6. Mkyj

Mkyj New IL'ite

Hi Swaran,
    Singapore local schools academic year is from Jan to Dec and admission process starts in November. Im not sure how easy it is going to be getting admission into them now.
    The CBSE/IGCSE schools are Delhi Public School(DPS), National Public Schoo(NPS)l, Global Indian Intnl school(GIIS) and Yuvabharathi. Their school year is the same as India, April to March, but you can get admission into them any time of year, quite easily.
    There are international schools as well, like UWSCA, Canadian Intl school, OFS etc, some of them have a waiting list and all are expensive. For your DD, you also try the nearby kindergartens or montessori schools like Apple montessori, MMI, FirstSchool and others. All schools are okay and have their own plus n minus, my kids went to GIIS n MMI and I have no major complaints with them.
    Im not sure about the daycare, but maids are easy to get, there are many maid agencies, where you can request for your preference of maids. But be aware that having a maid fulltime taking care of your kid can be risky. I dont mean to scare you, I havent had personal experience with maids, but many of my friends have had bad experiences with them and since your DD will be alone with maid for the most part of the time, you need to be extra cautious. check out kiasuparents dot com to get some more info.
    All the best to you on your big move!!

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear easy
    thanks...
    will check out online as well...i am parallely asking many of my friends who are in singapore..
    so indian schools start from apr and non-indian from jan is it?
    i actually dont want to enroll my kid in a costly school...like in india ,we have some good playschools like euro kids who handle lkg/ukg, and also have day care facilities,do we have such in singapore????

thanks for sharing such valuable information my friend..
    i am looking for daycare/nanny..not sure whether they ll be parttime/full time but yes i need someone to take care..maybe if the school/montessori i try to enroll my dd has daycare,i might opt for that and get a nanny for the evening time till i come..i am not sure what i am going to do as things happened so soon..let me check and post my queries again here
    thanks for your warning as well...i will think about it!!!!

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi all

In singapore,what is the fee range for montessori/govt schools/international schools for LKG?

even if approx fees is known,it would be of great help!!!

9. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

Govt schools are pretty cheap..bu diff. to get admission on Ep as pref. is given to locals and PRs. indian schools would work out ~1K per month

10. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Swaran,

Welcome to SG dear :)

You are right about international schools being expensive and if you are not planning to continue in the same school after returning to India, you can consider the local (govt) system here.

Academic year for local schools is Jan - Dec. but they do take in children in mid term also if they have seats and there are too many of these schools all over singapore, so you can find one close to your home without much difficulty.

Check out this link for some FAQs of PCF (gov kindergartens).

The fees may vary from school to school, it will be somewhere in the range of $300 per month.

Many of these schools have infant/child/student care attached to it. I am not sure about daytime nannys, but most of the people here have live-in maids. It heard that the costs is about 600 - 1000$ depending on the agency. Hope people with maids can guide you better. Since you are going to be here with your daughter only, you can consider hiring a maid.

Hope this is of some help to you. Do let me know if you want any specific detail.

All the best.