1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Critique - Photos Of Me In Saree

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by SuiDhaaga, Sep 10, 2022.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I practiced with stiff black cotton saree and the stiff cotton petticoat that came along with it

how do I improve?

I got 4 pleats but I feel they are too left. Or is it just correct?

Please give your honest critiques

FE1D394A-518A-466F-9963-E6AEE4A0B6E2.jpeg B663655D-D94B-49C9-B083-4E401C90ACDA.jpeg ECDF153A-431A-4F35-92F0-2EEAE00F81DF.jpeg 56A88871-8B53-4F86-8C2B-C35BEF2C9F08.jpeg 2C83B13C-7B2F-4F29-838A-9E9D58C7DFA3.jpeg

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Saree is nice..pleats bring it all together and line it.On the side make sure to pull and design to be shown.otherwise all good.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

Bring the pleats together? I thought it should be a bit separate.

You mean i separated them too much?

And which side should I pull and design to be shown. Please advise.

4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Looks fine to me. EF2B86AE-4A54-42EE-9CF5-04F1806F91ED.jpeg
    At 1: stack the pleats precisely so they are all one on top of the other and tuck into waist. Pleat edge should be above belly button. Externally, after tucking, all the pleats should be visible as one pleat to viewer or mirror (rest should be aligned under top one in a single line.) Not fanned out like they currently are.
    At point 2. Similarly stack the pleats or align them precisely further down at point 2 and put a safety pin to tightly pin them into place there - weave it in 2-3 times so it firmly holds all the stacked pleats neatly. Pallu will cover safety pin. Once you do this your pleats are secure and will not move.

Finally for the graceful feminine silhouette pull the free pallu from other side tightly, as tightly as possible, around your waist, back and to the front so it cups your butt and outlines your legs. Pull it tight and then take it over shoulder, drape in pleats and pin to left shoulder. That pin will maintain the silhouette for you. This is must for the typical silhouette. Even if you want open pallu first practice with pinned pallu till you get a hang and a feel for how to correctly hold the unpinned free pallu so you still get the typical silhouette for the rest of the sari. Open pallu looks simple but the woman’s hand is exerting the tension to maintain the look the whole time. There’s a trick to it. Not for beginners.

General note: sari is held together only by tucking pleating and few safety pins. It’s not a tailored material. So with time as you walk, move etc it will loosen. So at the time of tying tie and pin everything as tight as you can stand it. It WILL loosen. Sometimes you see people whose sari is literally falling apart. That’s because they tied it loosely to begin with.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    SuiDhaaga likes this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

This is really really helpful. I appreciate the visual cues

I will keep pleat edge above belly button . Now I can see why the pleating seemed a bit off.

I will make sure pleats are stacked on top of each other. i'm unsure how pleats are fanned out at the bottom, but I guess that is something I need to practice.

Ohhhhh, and i like your tips about tightly draping the free pallu from the other. side. Safety pins are a must.

Wow, I cannot imaging the headache of a saree literally falling apart as a lady is walking.

Thank you for this detailed advice!

6. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

No. So you should tuck thr pleats exactly at the centre of your naval . One corner of that please ( that corner which is towards your left hand side) should be exactly at the centre of the naval.

Nice saree. Let me share two pics with you from my recent cousin wedding

7. Anusha2917

8. Anusha2917

The blue saree was draped by the parlour lady with at least 10 pins n after draping she has ironed it with a hair straightener. Other two I have draped myself with just 2 safety pins

1Sandhya likes this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

Super like! Beautiful sarees and draping!

I appreciate the side and front view you posted. At first when I was stacking my pleats I thought I was doing something wrong.

The saree which was draped professionally was something I was trying to copy. I guess the pleats naturally fan out by themselves, at the bottom of course.

I really appreciate your guidance

By the way is that your daughter you are carrying?

Anusha2917 likes this.
  10. SuiDhaaga

I re-draped by saree and added lot of safety pins, including to the open pallu.

I am only able to drape below my navel (I have a tummy!)

Still trying to get the edge of the pleats to line up with the belly button.

Please add critique