Please advise..what to feed my Labrador Pup!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by sanri, Mar 11, 2011.

1. sanri

sanri Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILites,

I have recently brought a 40 days old, golden Labrador Puppy who is so cute and cuddly that our life is revolving around him these days. He keeps me so occupied. The only time which i get to finish my household chores is when he is relaxing. The other time he is busy in playing and exploring the things at his new home. We have named him Hatchiko and call him Hatchi with love. He is a birthday gift from me to My Honey who never have had any dog in his life. This is his first pet experience.

Hatchi became our family member couple of days back. The very first day he was quite and not playing much. We have arranged his bedding in our own bedroom so that he doesnt feel homesick. Since we both are working, Next day we had to leave him at our place for few hours before my sister picked him and took him to her home. By that time he had explored the house nicely when he was alone. My sis told me that he is actually a very active and naughty dog. So My pup is healthy that is sure.

Now comes next thing which is my major issue regarding him. Though in my past we have owned good number of dogs(in my childhood) of other breeds but not lab. I am little concerned about rearing him up as i have searched a lot about his diet and all. Still i could not conclude what i need to feed him. The very first day i fed him six times twice with toned milk (half cup each time) and thrice with one and half slice bread & milk. Yesterday i consumed my time in the office searching about his diet wherein people had mentioned to feed a lab pup four times with dog food and if it comes to home diet then he can fed with variety of foods like peas, chapati, carrots, all veggies, eggs, non veg. I am a non vegetarian and My Honey is non vegetarian. I don't mind cooking non veg for my Pup as i cook for my Honey too. The diet plans at internet has made me more confuse as i am not able to find the quantity or amount of food which i need to offer "Hatchi". Looking at him when i feed him it seems he still remains hungry as keeps going to his serving bowl now or then specially when he has nothing to do.
    Last night he woke me up twice at 12.00 am and 4.00 am and then i offered him warm milk. He went for potty thrice. I observed his stool. It seems okay. I mean no loose stools.

Please advise if i am feeding My Hatchi right or i should change his diet plan. I am in a fix. I don't want him to become more fat or skinny. Just average but an active Dog. I Love my Hatchi..I am going tomorrow to bring pedigree and some toys he can play with and visit a vet....still i am not sure if i should feed him with pedigree or not..........

Thanks in advance!!
    Sanri

2 people like this.

2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hi Sanri..
    I was in your position a year ago when I got home our Harley... First Please visit a vet who will guide you through all the vaccination and diet.
    I will tell you what we were told and fed Harley
    initially for 6-9 months you will have to take him for regular vaccinations and give him calcium/ vitamins and proteins supplements apart from mineral and a coat lubricator like gold coat. these are very important for the full & complete growth of your pup.
    I think till he is 2 months old you will give him cerelac wheat not rice 4-6 spoons 6 times with slowly initiating other foods as per the vet's advice.
    thereafter you can give him bananas/ apples/ milk but diluted... bread/ rice smashed with dals / chappati/ all vegs.. mainly beans carrots beet root/ pataoes/ lauki/ .. DONT EVER add SALT / ONION or ive any citrus fruits and NEVER give raisins or grapes as they are TOXIC.. you can start on eggs and chicken I think after 6 months... do avoid dog food as a meal.. as a treat its ok.. home food is always better...

actually labs are very greedy so you have to control his hunger... Please consult a good vet over the weekend that is most urgent!!!
    K

1 person likes this.
  3. srajitha

srajitha Silver IL'ite

Take him to your vet & get all the necessary information. Donot feed him cerelac (the one which humans eat). Even dogs have cerelac for them I mean its all Samolac , that one is very good. I use to feed my pups. Yes be very careful with his diet , its not just labs but any breed of dog is too greedy for food during its puppy stage.

4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sanri,

Congrats on your new pet doggie Hatchiko.Golden yellow Labs are adorable .We have a 4 year old one called Romeo who along with another cutie pie ,a one year old Basset Hound keeps us entertained all through.Being dog lovers , we have had several of them all thru the years and these are our darlings at present.
    I’d like to share with you the diet particulars that we followed while raising Romeo .This holds good for all breeds except that the quantity has to be reduced or increased according to the breed size.
    Since Hatchi is almost 45 days old you can follow this one.
    Home cooked food is best as there will not be any preservatives ….all ready made dog food like Pedigree etc., will have something added to make them last and whatever the TV commercials or even Vets recommend , please avoidthe main meals .You can give the ready made dog biscuits since quantity consumed will not do any harm.

Morning – 7a.m- 8a.m .Make a porridge with Ragi flour / Samba broken wheat .Add diluted milk to make it easy to lap up.Total amount can be 2 cups of made up porridge Ragi / Broken Wheat (Dalia) with milk.Vitamin syrup like VEEROL can be given now.
    Vet can advise on the brand available there.

About porridge .....you can make sufficient quantity in a thick consistency and store in the fridge up to 3 days .Every morning take the required amount, mix with milk and serve warm....this saves time.

Lunch 12pm-1p.m.Two cups of nicely cooked mashed rice …very soft.Since you can give non-veg , please start with minced chicken ..keema.You can add half a cup of keema to this and give the mixed dish .Increase the chicken quantity slowly week by week.
    Add a few pieces of carrots chopped and cooked soft to this.

As with the porridge , you can store the chicken keema in the Freezer compartment of the fridge .Each meal time take the required quantity and mix with rice .You can buy 1-2 kilos and cook it and freeze it .There should be some soup liquid in it to retain flavour ...don't cook it very dry.
    Another good protein source is Soya chunks .You can boil it and mash it along with the chicken keema ...this will increase the amount .

Tea time 4-5 p.m give 3/4 biscuits with a little diluted milk.Or even 1/2 slices of whole wheat bread .If you can give chapathi it will be still better.Break into small bits .You can give half a banana or quarter of an apple alternately each day.

Milk consumption should be reduced as dogs are lactose intolerant and have digestive problems with too much milk.

Dinner time 8-9p.m. Repeat the same lunch pattern .

Once solid food is taken, they will sleep right thru at night.

By three months you can introduce boiled egg and chicken liver .
    Please start with half an egg and test as some dogs are allergic!
    Avoid grapes, raisins and chocolates and all our spicy food with masala and onions and garlic which will cause serious gastric problems .Grapes & chocolates are poisonous for them.

You can give 3Rusks or 3 Marie biscuits,but their own dog biscuits are best
    Our biscuits have baking soda –not good for them
    Hope your Vet has advised you on all vaccinations …this is of utmost importance.The first year the booster doses will be done.

Labs are hyper active as pups all are .You must make him run and tire him out so that he sleeps well and not wake you up .Once he takes more solid food, he'll be less hungry .

During the teething stage they are bound to be destructive and will ruin furniture , clothes, footwear , anything lying around.You can buy chew bones or sticks made for this phase .They will be busy chewing on them .All pet shops have them, so get some to save your belongings!

Please do post Hatchi's pictures here for all to see .If you visit my thread ..."Join the club...Membership Free", you can see the pictures of our doggies and several other pet owners here and read about them.You can exchange notes with them too about pupyy raising.

All the best ....have fun with Hatchiko !

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    2 people like this.
  5. sanri

sanri Bronze IL'ite

6. sanri

sanri Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the reply Srajitha!!!I am going to the Vet today!!

7. sanri

sanri Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Kelly!! I will take hatchiko to Vet today. I have decided to feed him the Home Food. Since last two days i was feeding him with wet chapati + dilute toned milk or curd after blending the ingredients properly. I could see from his reaction that he enjoys the food. Now i will give him some more varieties...

8. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a ton Paulina ! You have sorted out my very big issue. I have got the exact information i was looking for. You can not understand how i am feeling right now. I was so tense and worried since we brought our Hatchiko. Even my mum told me not to feed him Dog food.....

Thanks Dear! I am going to take out the print out of your reply and paste it on kitchen wall so that i can follow it properly. I have taken the appointment with Vet today. He told me that first Hatchiko will be given some deworming treatment and then vaccinations. Since last 5 days we have not taken proper rest because of the improper routine of Hatchi. This schedule is really going to help and moreover Hatchiko will also be enjoying the variety in his food. He is my darling baby and i can do anything for him. I will upload his pics soon doing naughty stuffs at home......

And Paulina dear! I will always remember you for this! God Bless you and family. May you get everything you have desired for yourself.

Dear Sanri,

Honestly, I'm deeply touched by your reply.! I can see how devoted an animal lover / dog lover you are thru your words here .I'm the same too and I'm always very happy to meet dog loving friends here....ofcourse we'll all spare no pains or efforts to see that our doggies have a good life at our home ....they are giving us unconditional love for that and that is not easy to come by amongst us two legged ones isn't it ??:biglaughSo we can definitely spend the time, the effort and the money because the rewards are priceless.
    Hope you visited the Vet and got the vaccinations sorted out .The deworming will have to be done every month till he is 10 months or even a year old as Vet recommends.Usually a little booklet is given by all Vets where the records are maintained.
    The diet that I listed out is what we have always followed for all our dogs.
    From eight months onward, the morning porridge can be stopped ./Actually as they grow, they themselves will skip the morning breakfast not showing interest especially in milk....this has been our experience.At present our dogs have two meals .Lunch at 2 p,m, Dinner at 8/ 8.30 p.m. followed by snack time at 9.30 p.m. with rusks and dog biscuits.They are happy with this.You can see their pictures in my album or the thread .....
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pets-and-animal-lovers/118368-join-the-club-membership-free.html

BTW , since you have no problem with non-veg food , later on you can give other meat two or three times a week besides chicken.Please avoid all bones unless they are really very huge ones .Risk of intestinal bleeding or choking is high even with chicken bones.After one year you can give neck pieces and back pieces after cooking it really soft in the pressure cooker and mashing into small pieces .Please avoid all sharp edges of bones.You can tie up with a meat shop to get these pieces.

As for Pedigree or any other brand , it is best avoided! They all contain harmful preservatives ....how else can they last for a year?.You can find several announcements on Net as to how certain brands have been recalled due to some contamination.

All the best to you & Hatchiko.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  9. rupalimeshram

rupalimeshram New IL'ite

Hi Sanri,
    can you please let me know if there anyone one in pune city provide me the Cream Color Labrador at reasonable rate, because it too costly here to buy puppy :(

Regards,
    Rupali

10. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

Hello Paulina,

Thanks for the valuable info. I recently got a Lab puppy and he's now about 50 days old. He was on Cerelac and curd + boiled rice mixture till 45 days and is now dewormed. I want him to be on home made fresh food only. Now I feed him 1 and half slices of bread softened in milk, curd + boiled rice, porridge, chappati softened in milk. However I am not sure if I am giving him the food in right quantity. He's always hungry. Typical Lab thing, I guess? I've a few questions:

1. What should be his diet now? Which food and its quantity?
    2. I want to feed him only veg food. Eggs are fine and I already give him very small piece of boiled egg twice or thrice a week. I can occasionally give him Pedigree or such food which contain chicken.
    3. He has fleas and I think he had them at the breeder's place. As this is my first dog I didn't notice them earlier. I am trying Apple Cider Vinegar with water in 50:50 ratio. It helped him a bit but not all fleas are killed. Today I tried Johnson's baby oil on him. To my surprise it killed many fleas instantly. I am not sure if all of them are killed. I'll keep an eye on him. Have you experienced fleas on your dogs? I hate them!

I am not sure if you'll get notification of this post. I tried to message you but it says I need to have a min of 10 posts. If anyone else reads this please point Paulina to this post.

Thanks a ton!