Please advise...what to do with a friend who changes her colour (behaviour) often!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sundust, Apr 30, 2012.

1. sundust

sundust New IL'ite

Hi Girls,
    This is not actually about in-laws, but about a friend. But there's no thread for friends. So, I posted it here. May be the moderator will move it into some other therad if it's not suitable here.

Now, my problem is:
    I have a friend (don't know if I should call her a friend or not), whose behaviour seems very strange to me.
    Sometimes, she is so good n friendly with me and other times she appears so distant and hardly talks to me.

It hapened many times in last 3-4 years. It's like a cycle. She is frinedly, calls me, comes to my home ----> then after some days we meet in a party, she jus says 'Hi' and moves away & then don't talk at all, don't even look at me or come near me after the 'Hi'---> then again one day calls me out of the blue and plans a holiday with us---> then again we meet in some party and no talk!!
    It's like a cycle...goes on and on...:spin

I've noticed that when only we two are there or in a party where she does not know anyone...then she sticks with me only.
    But when she has her other frineds, she does not come near me.

I discussed this with my hubby, and he advised to ignore her strange behaviour and be nice with her anyway. A nice n wise advise, no doubt.

But, WHY she behaves like this way?? :drowning I feel it's insulting and am thinking to stop talking altogether.

But if some day, again she calls me and invites me to her home....what shall I do?? I'm very bad at saying 'No' to people and making excuses!

But I know, if I go to her home.....then the cycle starts again!!.....I'm just so exhausted with this.

Friends, please give me some advice / suggestion......

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

2. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Re: Please advise...what to do with a friend who changes her colour (behaviour) often

She's using you for her own benefit. If she has no one else to talk to, then she talks to you, rather than introducing you to her OTHER friends.

Your hubby is right, keep away from her.

3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Please advise...what to do with a friend who changes her colour (behaviour) often

She's using you. When she is alone or there's no one to talk to her, then she wants your company. Else she doesnt care.

Maintain your cool and treat her like an acquaintance, not a friend.

4. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

She is taking you for granted. Get angry, take action. Ignoring and being nice will encourage bad behavior.

Screen calls with caller id and do not pick hers. Do not reply to voice mails.

Get other friends and ignore her completely. Then she will get the message and either learn to behave well or move away without bothering you anymore. Either way, you are better off.

I had one frenemy(Urban Dictionary: frenemy) who also used to use me and ditch me like this. I did the above and now she is a bit scared to cross my line. She was very friendly when I was alone but will either ignore or make some unwarranted comments when having company. When among friends, I could not open my mouth about even casual things without getting some mocking reply back. Everything was a competition and drained my energy. After a few years I had had enough.

Do not ignore her behavior. Ignore her.

If we are too good, world will treat us as doormats.

5 people like this.
  5. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

She is NOT your friend and you don't need her friendship. Just, tell her you are busy and not available when she calls you.

6. SANL

SANL Silver IL'ite

Dear SUNDUST,

she is not a friend, she just uses u for her timepass, if she was real friend will never leave u alone at anytime.. just start avoiding her..until it stops finally...

regards

Soumya

7. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

Without reading ur post, just by reading the title I want to say "Its better always to stay away from such a friend."

8. sundust

sundust New IL'ite

@zipzipzoomzoom, Thank you very much for your reply. After reading your message only I realised, she never actually introduced me any of her friends. And in past, whenever I introduced her to any of my friends, I noticed that, she gets so over-friendly with them...so silly! :rotfl

@orion80, freddycat, Pranjjal - Thank you all for your reply n suggestion....from now on, I'll stay away as far as I can from her.

@eandian - Thanks for your reply. From now on, I will ignore her in parties and get-togethers. Unfortunately, that's all I can do at this moment. Because, her husband is a friend of my hubby's. So I can't completely shut her off! :( :(
    I would be very happy if I could do that though :). And I'm so happy knowing that, you taught your frenemy a lesson. :) :)

Thank you all for your kind reply and valuable suggestions. You guys helped me to understand her better (a frenemy, now I know the term :thumbsup).

9. drsurabhijain

drsurabhijain Silver IL'ite

Never Trust People like this .....

10. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Glad to help dear. If she (or anyone for that matter) does not introduce you to her friends or in public, it means she is thinking low about you and hence does not want to be seen with you in public. This is very rude behavior.

My husband had a colleague who will be chatting happily with Indians during coffee break. But the minute an American walks past, he will drop everyone even in the middle of a sentence and start talking with him.

Then they also started to notice someting - In a group of people, this cunning fellow will cling to the person who earns the most or is highest in designation (Indian or American). Others with whom he was chatting till the previous second will be invisible to him even if they call his name standing within 2 feet foot from him. Not that he was up in the corporate ladder or anything like that. He had no technical knowledge or hard work and that was the only way to get some visibility in the company. These are those over amibitious ones but not willing to put in the long hours.

But when you are alone, she will act all good and hence you are confused whether she is good or bad. This is their trick of fogging your mind so they can have you as back up when they need any help. They might even throw in a few condescending statements that mimic true concern for us. But beware.

It is an insult when someone treats us like this. Take action.

BTW, My frenemy was my husband's colleagues's wife. So I waited and waited for years. But one day I snapped and decided to so something about it instead of feeling crappy about myself. (But he reports to my DH at work and DH was 100% in support and said he will face whatever happens. So I could do it. DH is all for ditching people. I am the confused wavering one)

Ditching is easy. But if they happen to be the bold confrontational types, you have to be mentally prepared to explain in a sweet diplomatic and smiling way - why you dont find time to be their "use and throw" friend anymore. If you start stumbling and blabbering when they ask about it, they will be very amused and will increase their previous behavior so that you do not try this again.

But I would say, go for it. You need to be respected. They call it "self" respect because you (your"self") are the only one who can fight for it.

your self respect is your responsibility. You husband's friendships are his responsibility. You do not have to be ignored by her wheneven she feels like it just to save your husband's friendships. That is not fair.

I am seeing results already. She is cordial and nice and I do not hear any snide remarks. We are maintaining our distance as well as friendship. Every one is peaceful and behaving like good children.

1 person likes this.