1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please advise me how to set my boss straight........my dh is my boss at work......

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by neena35, Mar 29, 2010.

1. neena35

neena35 New IL'ite

Re: Please advise me how to set my boss straight........my dh is my boss at work.....

Kavya, we both joined as employees there together at the same time. It was campus recruitment back then.
    Initially, after he got promoted it was hard to turn off the boss-employee mode once we are home but slowly we both got used to it now. It was not hard because he was in another dept. then. We never discuss work at home. I felt like quitting this company couple of times when I got frustrated with this relationship at work but over time things settled down.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. Peperoncino

Peperoncino New IL'ite

Re: Please advise me how to set my boss straight........my dh is my boss at work.....

Neena.

Even if your current boss is not your husband, you will still need tact when approaching HR. Remember that more often than not, HR is usually aligned with the management, and may not take too well to an employee blaming the boss.

Rather than pinning the blame on your boss outright, you could approach HR and it as an employee who sees a long term future with the company, and wants to be able to fulfil her potential so as to be able to contribute fully to the growth of the company. And so on..... I hope you get the drift?

Also, re: your comments about your current boss not letting you change departments, see point (ii) of my first post. You leaving could just mean the performance of your current boss's dept could go down. So, could this be a reason? But then should this be your concern? And should this be reason enough to prevent you from reaching your professional potential? Only you can answer this. (Note that we are only speculating here....)

Hope this provides you with some food for thought.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  3. neena35

neena35 New IL'ite

Yes, I understand what you are trying to say. Thanks!

That is so much true. In fact, that was what I said in my earlier post too.
    The person who got selected over me is the one who worked for only some time in this area and that too in the past. If you see the present scenario then this is totally new to him. I am the one who along with my team members brought it up to what it is now. I mean, currently I am into this and that guy comes over and takes control of it. I would have been happy if any other person from my team got selected too but none other than me applied for it. And also my husband not letting me go to the separate dept.....I can clearly see the reason. He wants me to be here for coaching this new team lead of mine....ridiculous!!............I suspect so much now.

4. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

Hi there!!
    personally i dont think its a healthy work environment to be working with spouses in the same team and many companies dont allow it. the company i work for makes sure 1 employee moves to a different team if at all they get involved.
    With such a direct reporting situation you are in a tough position!
    My suggestions --
    1.Though you and dh had decided not to talk abt work at home, but i think its time for a talk. you need to clear the air before it affects you non work relationship.. hats off , how you both are able to manage a totally different relation ship during the same time!! not possible by most.. i am not being sarcastic here.
    2. you do say your DH is a smooth talker, but giving him a bit of leeway, do you know how he feels about having his wife as his subordinate?? i am surprised there are no background talks about favouritism etc, because with even a distant relatvie at work in the same team can cause such back home.. ha forget relationship, even same caste/ region can cauase favouritsm gossip. Have had plenty of those experience.
    Maybe hes taking extra efforts to prove he really doesnt consider you as family at work & just another emplyee? Ask him this.. tell him to be honest abnout it and dont get angry if he admits it.. its very natural..
    3. talk to him about the need to have a bit of seperation at work for long term marriage wellbeing. you do feel you are not being given the due you deserve. this could lead to resentment & ego issues in either 1 person in the long run.. I am not saying this is a given, but is a distant possibility. esp with your DH trying to restrict your chances right now, whatever reasons he might have.

Once you both talk about this as husband and wife and you share your concerns and get enough details from him, tell him your concerns too.. you really dont want to leave this organisation, but you feel its best you move to a different dept. Tell him it will also benefit him in the long run where he doenst have to prove to each and everyone he doesnt show favouritsm..

Good luck and i do hope you are able to resolve this before more frustration sets in..'

5. Peperoncino

Peperoncino New IL'ite

Okay, now that seems to be the most likely answer to why your request for transfer was not approved, what are you going to do next? If you decide to stay on in the current team, judging from your posts here, chances are you will become frustrated. And that can result you seething inside and blaming your current boss (and husband) for the lack of progress in your career.

Or you can explore opportunities outside the company while having the chat with HR and your current boss. From the way you described your husband, it looks like he is more than capable of looking after himself, given that he has a way with words and of dealing with his bosses. And as you said your team was collectively responsible for bringing the department up to the level it is now, I'm sure they can manage without you for a while.

One step at a time....seriously speak to a recruitment consultant!

6. neena35

neena35 New IL'ite

Believe me, this is running in my head 24/7 nowadays.
    If my dh was not my boss atleast I could have approached him for some advise. Anyway, I am trying to see it from all possible angles and I feel I cannot stay here in this team doing the most silly job on earth....coaching my own lead here who is totally unaware of the recent upgrades and the whole process. I feel it is humiliating for me to sit here and do that.
    I am planning on my next step. I will do as my boss (dh) says for now till my new lead takes over. Then, I will negotiate with other dept. and try getting in there. Before that I will approach my boss's boss who is more considerate in this matter than my boss and then will have a word with HR too.
    I really do not wish to talk to my husband at home on this. I know I cannot control myself then and it will ruin our relationship.

Please tell me how you see the whole issue going till now? What do you think would be the effect of this on our relationship as husband-wife? Do you think I should seriously start looking for getting out of this company?
    I mean, if the opportunities are good then I don't mind switching but do you think just because my spouse and me are in the same company and he being my boss I should try to start looking outside this place to have long-term peaceful marital life?

I am really really upset and any advise would be gladly considered.

PS: Lotusgirl: About the background talks, most of them in our office don't see it as favoritism towards me. In fact I am the one who has lot of differences with my boss. I have to tell you this that with what happened recently....me being not selected, many of them are not happy with the decision and talk behind my boss's (my dh) back.
    They see it as favoritism towards his friend and they all support me in this.

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Usually it is against corporate policy for spouse to report to each other. So, how come the company is allowing this reporting structure!?

8. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Neena, there are two elements, one is your job and your boss who is your DH , and your personal life that is your marriage

You said he is nice to you at home, shares work, so your equation at home as a spouse is perfect, that is not a question.

At work he is your boss you have to still have the thought that he is also your DH , if you throw papers on his face and walk out, which you could do with outsider, you cannot do to him, it will jeopardise the relation to some extent

Ideally both spouses should not work in one department, and never as a superior subordinate role, because it hampers personal lives. we have heard how to not involve relatives in business as doing so ruins the business as well as relationship.

One thing I dont understand if your DH is good at home with you why is he behaving that way at work, why is he making up excuses like you said that you did not deserve the open position, why is he recruiting a less competitive guy? How can he have your wellfare in his mind as a spouse if you claim he does, if he is not helping you move to a place you have applied or deserve.

Its very confusing...Going to HR with complaint will not make much sense if HR is like any other company, just a Managers puppet...It is just a escape, HR wont do anything most of the times. The manager, subordinate relation is that is imp and the more it is cordial the more better. The last option for you is to resign and look out something else or sit at home, to help gain sanity

9. Sunny3

Sunny3 New IL'ite

Neena,

My coworker (male) is in the exact situation like you.
    His wifey is his bossy for past 1 and 1/2 yr.......
    infact our boss is his wife. :drowning

He hates the situation and is trying change to different wing, totally different department. He said if it doesn't happen as expected by him since he is already negotiating it with HR and other higher managers, he will look for opportunities outside the company.
    May be that is your solution too....Think it over.

10. neena35

neena35 New IL'ite

Tridev,
    Earlier, we were both in the same team doing a research project and he always saw me as his rival. I can only say that luck favoured him and he got ahead of me. Also, he excels in smart talking.....I can say that. I don't know, you can see this as my cribbing too. But, that is what I feel.
    More than knowledge of work his communication skills is what helped him most.
    I don't know how much of my welfare he has in his mind. I only see him doing things against me. This time it was clearly favoritism towards his buddy, I can bet.
    I really want to give him a blow here in this company itself but you see when ever this thought comes, immediately it gets contradicted with the fact that he is after all my husband too.