1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

PlayDate with American Kids

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Mahisneha, Mar 15, 2010.

1. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

which school is that krithika? pls share in the chennai schools forum, would be interesting to discuss.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Looks like I'm the odd one out here but I really dont see anything wrong with the occassional sleep-over (for kids over 7-8 that is). I didnt do sleep-overs with friends when I was growing up but my cousins and I spent so many nights at each others houses and we loved it. If I knew the other family reasonably well I wouldnt mind at all.

Krithi - never heard of school-sleepovers before though.

V.

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

V, I'm with you as well. I too used to spend nights with cousins and had so much fun. If you know the other family well, the children will have a good time. Of course the trick is to find that balance between trust and safety. We had P's best friend for a weekend when the child's mom was delivering her second baby and P considers that weekend the best time in his life!

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I have not heard of that yet. Not even here it the US!

Vanathi, sleep overs at family is perfectly fine, I used to love my sleepovers and extended stays at my cousins'. I do have problems with sleep overs at friends' though - there's a practice here to have sleepovers and camping out at a friend's house on weekends which I am totally against. Even if I know mom and dad well, I wouldn't know who all their friends and family are, and who visits them regularly etc. I guess I am a little paranoid that way.

I like what you said Sindhu, finding the perfect balance between trust and safety. Riya has been picked up by two of my girlfriends during the day when I was sick and I trusted them with her, knew exactly where they were going etc. but even with them I won't do nights, unless there's an absolute life and death emergency. I guess I have issues with trusting people when it comes to Riya.

Raj

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Raj;
    Nice to find someone in same boat;)
    Sindhu and Vanathi;
    I was talkning about sleep-overs at friends place. We really don't know what sort of persons are in their household. Even sending to cousin's place I have reservations and would avoid it if I can. I am the kill-joy:)) But serious note; CSA's are very common now.
    -Nitha

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

But Nitha I really dont think CSAs are any commoner than they used to be - its only that we are more aware of them now. Similiarly for waht Raj said - I dont really feel the need to know or personally vet every single person my child comes in contact with but thats just me. (Please note I'm talking only about when A is older not right now). I guess I fall more towards the "trusting" (or perhaps stupidly naive :)) side of the spectrum on this issue.

V.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Just struck me - is this beacuse I have a boy (and so does Sindhu) and you two have girls?

V.

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

V/Sindhu, I did stay in a joint family and therefore did very little sleepovers - we did spend a few days of vacation in the cousin's homes. But never a social sleepover. The first time I did that was in College and that too not a sleepover, but a marathon all-nighters to finish projects.
    V, K is a boy and from my friends' circle/reporting I do know that abuse of boys is just as common. It is not that I fear safety of the child, but seems like such an unnecessary thing to do. Obviously no mom will leave a child with someone they are not completely comfortable. If it was a trip or a Scouts jamboree after the child is 10, I get it.
    Asha, I know of at least 4 schools in Chennai that do it. It seems to be becoming more common

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Krithi - Of course boys get abused just as much if not more than girls. I was only wondering if parents tend to be more careful (perhaps completely subconsciously) with girls? And to me such sleepovers would be part of the fun of being a child. I had great friends as a child and I know that if sleepovers had been a common thing then I would have absolutely loved them - hence my POV that they are completely ok.

V.

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

V;
    Even if next one is a boy; I would have the same attitude:) But not this extreme maybe.
    Remember Vikram Seth came "out of closet" during a sleepover :). No..no I don't mean to say sleepover encourages the exploration of sexual curiosity. I have stayed in hostels my major part of life; so it would be slandering myselves:))
    Once I feel the kids (future one added) are bold enough to say NO or close enough to "report" it me then maybe I would consider it . Well; I had a close- brush with "what would have lead to CSA" and I know abusers are wolves in sheeps cloth's. It will take you by surprise. So now you know where my sceptism comes from.
    I seriously think sleep-overs are un necessary. I never could understand what purpose does a sleepover have? If it is fun; let kids till play till dark and after that come back home to sleep in your bed rather than sleeping at a friends place.
    Fun vs. avoiding possible threats (including safety and CSA); I would choose the second one in a wink:)
    -Nitha