1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Play date issue

Discussion in 'Kids Korner' started by Chapra, May 31, 2014.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Chapra,
    We can never guage another parents reaction. If she felt badly, too bad. You did everything you could. In my experience second time Moms are much more aware of why toddlers say or do certain things. They don't generally jump to conclusions and cut off all ties.
    I would say take it easy and do things as you would if this didn't happen. I'm assuming you are just acquaintances with this mom, since you didn't mention she is a friend. I generally don't have play dates for my DS without the other moms present. I'm afraid of handling three three/four year old alone. I generally invite the moms over too. I serve some juice/crackers in the back yard while the kids are playing so the moms can hang around outside as well. I'm awed that you were able to manage the kids yourself.
    Btw, so far, whoever has come over for play dates have invited us over too. So we take turns hosting and Its not always me hosting.
    Play dates are hard. I never had to do it for my older one because all my friends had kids her age. For my DS, all my friends have had second kids way early and I'm stuck without friends his age.

1 person likes this.
  2. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Sure, troubled mom, will do so. Thanks for your wonderful suggestion. I was so naive. All you ladies gave me wonderful suggestions :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Brindao1.

Am already taking her to park and library. We started with the play date, couple of weeks back wherein 3 kids stay in one kid's house and that kid's mom take care of the kids. This way the other two moms get some "me time". This wasn't my idea but it looked lucrative to me.

Now, understood that 3 year olds are too young for play dates without their mom(s)!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Great suggestion, From Mars. Thanks. I would never ask those kinds of questions again :) Learning for life!

5. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Excellent advice, Rihana. Will try to follow whatever I can. All are acquaintance and not friends. So I need not bother much here :)

Thanks so much, Rihana dear!

6. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Great advice and an eye opener, Laks. I have learnt it the hard way that play dates for 3 year olds should include the kid's moms too :) Sure, will try to follow.

That kid's mom is an acquaintance and not a friend!

Thanks a lot, Laks.

1 person likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chapra,
    Three year old kids are too small for play dates without their mother being around. They do not have logic or reason for some of the things they say...after all they are kids.
    So, include their moms also along with kids. Adults can make conversation or a cup of coffee and the kids can play together. If one wants some me time it is better to send them to play school for a couple of hours three days a week. Other children would be there, teacher would be there and the whole atmosphere is different to home. On some days you take them to play places, parks or libraries for story telling sessions or rhymes sessions.

Syamala

8. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

Good advice on play-dates....!!

@Chapra, you are already doing good...