1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plant nurseries in Chennai!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bindhudani, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Bhooma dearie,

Thank for adding..will definitely check out....

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Apart from these,

there is one brindavan nursery in chitlapakkam

there is one nursery just after reliance fresh,and the bus stop at medavakkam, you can see it from the main road.

there is on Nursery at Injambakkam on ECR road

in adyar, there is one lotus landscape at indira nagar, which was suggested by a friend.

one on the velachery main road at guindy.

even there is a nursery inside the mcc campus, chitlapakkam.

3. bookworm74

bookworm74 New IL'ite

Hi

How expensive are these nurseries. What can I expect to pay for some hibiscus, rose and tulsi plants? Do I buy the pots from the same place?

You can see that I am an absolute newbie at this!!

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

If you find time please go through these threads for more information posted in the posts.
    Also if you find time do go in person to the nursery. You will be able to see for yourself the price range, the quality of products, the type of services the variety of plants and so much more.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi you can get the pots from the nurseries..there are both mud/concrete.these days you are getting concrete pots which have a skeletal wire inside..which are a little costly... i think you have already seen the pictures of my plants..the mud pots cost from 20 for a very small to upto 60 for a good big one..concrete start at 30 and go upto 80. on the velachery-tambaram road you can find vendors with such huge pots on the sides..you can get for a bargain too...

for the mud, the nurseries do have bags of this, I use them along with having my own manure added...i make it and how is in one of the old threads..

for the roses it depends on the color and the plant. some people just sell in small polythene pouches..some sell them in small mud/plastic pots too..these add to the costs..

the small button roses come anywhere from 25/40...i brought it at 20rs..almost a year back.now you get at 25/40

hibiscus, you have two varieties..and for these you have to tell them that you are going to grow it in a pot..accordingly you wll get the plant.. i have pink, white and the traditional red. i have asked for the yellow one..(i am bowled by that color)
    they also come from 25/100.

tulsi is 10rs. omum-5/10, kanabaram 5/10, jasmine i have the ones that look like a rose-rs.20.

if you want any more info, to keep your plants healthy in pots in chennai climate do ask...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Shanthi, tagged you here too. May I shoot my questions to you. I am deseparetly searching for some shade growing flowering plants. Do you have any idea if Paarijatham, adukku malli or the entire jasmine family grow well in shade. One side of our home is completely shaded over andnothing grows there, we found much to our chagrin. It is on the ground and I would love to add some fragrant flowers to the area. I too am a complete newbie at this.

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,AC & others,
    Can i grow "Nandhiyavattai" in pots in balcony.Theres is enough sunlight in my balcony.So Will it flower?

How to get rid of ants(red ones) from pots? My nithyamalli is in a bad state.The climber is not affected, but the pot is full of ants. :-(

Any help?

8. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Hi Aishu22 and others

I live in Gurgaon near Delhi and so while I cannot participate in your discussions on nurseries, I sure can give you a tip on getting rid of ants. I had the same problem in my chrysanthemum pots and sprinking of chilly powder made them vanish overnight. Do let us know how it works for you, in case any of you try this trick.

Revathi

9. Anandchitra

Tikka
    I thought you had addressed your question to Shanthi hence the delay in my reply. sorry.

My recommendation will be to visit your local nursery and see what you like there growing in the shade and talk to the help there with your questions.That will be the first place I would start

Do let us know how its going so we can add some more suggestions. Good luck.

10. Anandchitra

Aishu sweetpie

I Think you should be able to grow Nandhiyavattai in pots. Do let me know what you did.

For the ants someone just posted a good tip. Please tell if it works for you too. Thanks deari.