Planning To Move To Frisco, Tx

Discussion in 'Indians in Dallas' started by Minion, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

I am planning to move to Frisco, TX, like to get some input on the following topic

• What are the good neighborhoods
    • Schools
    • Housing (like to buy a house any good realtor recommendation)
    • Healthcare (Like to know about the big Hospitals in the area)
    • Social life
    • Weather
    • What you like the most about the city and the things you don't like about the city.
    @sreepriya22 @jyothika

@Laks09 I think you mentioned you are from TX can you provide some input about the state.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020

2. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

Where are you moving from to tx? Sometimes the cultural changes you experience are based on where you are moving from to tx

3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Midwest.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I’m not from the area but I’ve heard good things about Frisco schools. I would go by the great school ratings I’d you don’t have personal friends in the area. Any school with a rating of 9+ in Frisco should be good.

Real estate prices in TX are better than most other suburbs in the country. You won’t go wrong with any TX suburb. There are newer localities and newer houses being constructed everywhere. So you can get the pick of the lot. I suggest renting before finding your area and buying.

It did get a little crazy after 2016 election but things are settled now. I did see truck rallies with Trump flags in all neighborhoods and I believe that probably is the case with the Frisco too.
    People coming from other parts of the country are often shocked by this happening suburbs and don’t expect to see it. Hopefully elections are over and things may actually go back to normal. They do it for intimidation more than anything else and the rest of the people brush it off.

We are an open carry state. You will see people carrying and for me even after all these years it’s still intimidating. You’ll get used to it.

Some of the people I know who came in from other states are surprised that they need to provide citizenship info while opening a bank a/c for example. It’s standard in TX. I also got asked about it during a routine traffic stop. That’s also fairly common from what I heard afterwards.

TX weather - it sucks. People moving in love the milder winters. Summers are extreme but we have managed so far. I’m sure after your first two summers you should be able to tolerate the heat. It isn’t like Kerala/TN where it’s humid. It’s the dry Rajasthani heat in DFW. Houston is more like south India weather wise. Some people prefer one over the other. Opportunities dictate where to go so you probably have already ruled out other cities.

You won’t have a dearth of friends in any major metro suburb in DFW. The Indian communities are vibrant. Kids really enjoy good cultural exposure. Especially in newer communities, I’ve heard holi and Ganesha etc gets celebrated with a procession. The only downside I saw to that is isolation from others. But people who live in those communities love it. I know I would. I love having a little india and celebrating everything from golu to holi to Diwali without getting out of my community. If you aren’t in a solely Indian community, people generally don’t mingle much with neighbors unless you go out of your way to make friends. I’ve heard that’s a unique Texan problem but I don’t have an issue going and getting to know my neighbors and talking to them. Once you know them, people are really nice. They just don’t go out of their way to socialize first.

Healthcare - you will have to research the area but it shouldn’t be a concern in greater DFW. I’m sure you will find a lot of options out there.

These are all my experiences. I’ve not lived for long in any other state so I’m used to whatever goes on here. I hope someone who has moved in from other states pitch in.

Good luck with the move and welcome to TX!

KashmirFlower, Minion and Swetha52003 like this.
  5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

@Laks09 thank you for taking the time to give a detailed feedback.

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Due to COVID our employer transitioned to work from home and now they have made it permanent so I am looking for some warm place to move from the cold Midwest, Money Magazine rated Frisco as a best place in 2018 Frisco, Texas Is on MONEY's Best Places to Live list so that's why I am looking into that place, also I like to travel so living near a major airport helps.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think DFW suburbs are getting too crowded and exploding from its seams. With that kind of growth comes issues like terrible traffic bottle necks.

It’s the best weather for someone from the mid west for sure. Everyone who moves to any place in TX from the mid west can’t stop raving about the weather. People have told me the summers are hard for the first two years but they don’t miss the mid west winters.

Congrats on the work from home option. That makes everything so easy.

Minion likes this.