planning to move to bangalore next year

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by lotusqueen, Jun 11, 2011.

1. lotusqueen

lotusqueen New IL'ite

Hi All,Need some advice from you as we are planning to move bangalore next acadamic year.But for me and my husband does'nt know anything about bangalore as we never been there.So here are my questions..
    1.In which area generally the IT people will reside? can you name some good residential areas
    that we can buy a house.
    2.What are the good icse schools in that area.
    Awaiting for your replies...

2. jeyan

jeyan New IL'ite

Hi,

Nice to hear that you are moving back to India. welcome. I was in bangalore for some time. Recently i am moved from bangalore to chennai. Bangalore is losing its flavour. But good city to live. There are lot of new apartment is coming up. You can search the details in Suleka.com. ramamoorthi nagar is one good place. And regarding Ics schools there are lot ot school which is following ICES syllabus. Bishop cotton is the best but the fees is too high. There are very good quality school in Bangalore.

Ping me if you require any other help and details.

Regards.

3. priya8716

priya8716 Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    Bangalore is really big, so it is better to decide on the area based on your job location. If your job is in flux, then pick a school first and then choose an area so that kids dont have to travel much. We did the latter. I did a whole lot of research on the net (specifically the R2I club forum), short listed the schools regardless of the area. We toured all of them, picked a school and then picked an area that was a balance between the school and IT companies. Actually we are only renting, so selecting the area was not so important for us. We wanted to see if the school will work out and job will work out before purchasing property. We just picked a place closer to atleast one family we knew and I can tell you that it really really helped. Goodluck.

GlobetrotterG likes this.
  4. lotusqueen

lotusqueen New IL'ite

thank you so much for your quick response jeyan and priya.Actually my main priority is schools.If we decide the school we'll start exploring the housing and the it companies close by.So can you please suggest some schools which are not very high in fees and easy to adjust for nri kids.And what about the second language options as my son will be 6th grade next year and daughter will be 3rd grade.
    Thanks in advance.

5. priya8716

priya8716 Junior IL'ite

We just R2Ied this year and our kid is in 7th. So it looks like you are very much like in our situation. We specifically looked for schools that offered French as second language. ICSE permits kids with foreign passport/who have been out of India for a period of time to take a non-Indian language as second language. This criteria really limited our school choices to international schools. If this is something you look for, then some schools to consider are Inventure, Greenwood (which we picked), Gopalan. There are others, but I cannot recall. If you are fine with Hindi as second language, then your choices are more varied and you can consider CBSE schools also. I heard good things about Prakriya, Primus, Gear, Sri kumarans, Sherwood High, Samhita Academy, NPS. Trimus, Vibgyor and Brigade International have mixed reviews, but there are parents who are happy with them.
    Note that French is also tough to learn. However the difference is that Hindi syllabus at higher grades is much more advanced than French. Even at 7th grade level, French is not advanced. Also, they have to study Hindi/Kanada too as the third language. These international schools know what to expect from NRI kids, so it helps. In my kid's class every single kid is NRI, though they might have R2Ied at various ages.

6. lotusqueen

lotusqueen New IL'ite

Priya8716 thanks a lot.your feedback is really helpful as my kids have us passports.I started teaching my kids hindi.So as you said if they are comfortable with hindi may be I have more choices.I gone through the greenwood website and was very impressed with that but there is no fee structure in the website.If u don't mind can you provide me the fee structure of greenwood school.And what are the good apartments close to that school?Please let me know..

7. priya8716

priya8716 Junior IL'ite

Greenwood is in the 1.5 lakhs/year range. I cannot recall the exact amount but I can check if you want. Apartments on Sarjapur road would work if you choose Greenwood. There are also many good Sobha apartments near the intersection of Outer ring road and Sarjapur road (Bellandur area). You can find all these on Google Maps. The rents of these apartments varies, so when you come to see the schools you could also look at apartments to get an idea of what you need/like.
    Inventure Academy is above 2 lakhs/year. Indus and TISB are over 5 lakhs. Gopalan is in the same range as Greenwood. Vibgyor, Brigade International are around 1 lakhs. Some of other schools that I listed are in the 50K - 1 lakh range. You will find very good schools in the 50K-75K range too if Hindi and a traditional teaching style is fine with you. As you can see, there is a wide range in fees as well. You will have to come and tour the schools to find your best fit.

8. lotusqueen

lotusqueen New IL'ite

@priya Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions .when will the admissions start for greenwood?Is it easy to get the admission in that school?If we move around may next year do we have enough time to tour the schools and apply for admission or do u recommend to finish the admission from here itself?

9. priya8716

priya8716 Junior IL'ite

Plan a visit to India between Sep and Jan to tour the schools. Please be sure to avoid the school vacation weeks when you plan. The traditional schools usually give out applications in Sep/Oct timeframe and have the entrance tests in Mar/Apr. Some schools like Prakriya and Gear require to meet the children to even start the application process. International schools are easy to get into, they accept students year round if they have openings and are flexible to conduct the tests when we come to India.
    I just wanted to say that we did not totally fall in love with Greenwood. In fact, every school we saw had positives and negatives. We just picked Greenwood after weighing in other schools. Didnt want you to get the opinion that Greenwood was the best :) We are yet to find out how things will work out.

10. lotusqueen

lotusqueen New IL'ite

Priya,Actually I prefer international schools,atleast for the transition time may be later I may change them to traditional cbse school.After I researched the international schools on the net, we felt that it is best fit for us because of the location and second language options.Anyway thanks for your prospective about the greenwood.If you don't mind I may need your suggestions in the future so I would like to send the personal message.Thanks a lot.