Planning to become a Teacher!!! Plz help!!!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anjali85, Jun 4, 2009.

1. anjali85

anjali85 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am a new member and this is my first post. I am not sure if I am posting at the right section. So, moderators, kindly move my post to the appropriate section.

About me : I am 25 yrs old, married and I have a 1 year old kid. My hubby is a doctor with erratic schedules and very long hours of work. I hold a H1-B visa and I am working for an IT company. Due to the recession and the nature of the IT industry, I have to put in long hours of work. I find it very stressful and I am not able to balance work and home. Due to the deadlines I sometimes have to work on weekends also and I always feel guilty that I am not able to spend time with my daughter. I am not in a position to call my parents now as my younger sister will
    have a baby soon. My in laws r quite old with health issues. So they cant come here n take care of my daughter. My hubby is very understanding and wants to help me, but due to the nature of his job, he is not able to help me much.

So i am thinking of quitting my present job and to become a teacher, so that i will have more time to take care of my daughter. I want a job with flexible timings ( sumthing like 8 - 5 or 9 - 6 ) I have a masters degree from India. Plz give me ur suggestions IL ladies. I believe in the saying that " only the wearer knows where the shoe bites ".... What are the pros and cons of the teaching profession? I dont have any friends who are teachers here. So plz help me IL ladies....

I have another doubt. A friend of mine recently told me that the H1-B visa i hold is only for IT and computer related jobs and not for becoming a teacher. But she says she is not sure. Is she right IL ladies? Can some one throw light on this?
    My hubby is planning to apply for greencard next year. But we are not sure how long the procedure might take.

So in this situation, will i be able transfer my visa to a school? will the schools be ready to accept my visa transfer?

I am very confused!!! can someone help me plzzzzzzzz.........
    Thanks,
    Anjali.

2. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

First of all, to become a 'teacher' -- regardless of whether elementary, middle or high school -- you must have a valid teaching credential. This credential can be obtained only after getting 3 years of post-baccalaureate education and passing the credentialing exam at the end of these years. It is very difficult to become a full-time teacher at a public school without having a valid teaching credential, although you could become a substitute teacher at local school districts or work for private schools by virtue of your Master's degree.

Moreover, public school districts typically do not accept visa holders as teachers. So, you will only be able to work as one after you get your EAD or Green Card.

If you are seriously interested in becoming a teacher, then you should visit your state's Department of Education website and follow their rules and instructions on how to become a licensed public school teacher. Enroll in a qualified credential program and get your course work out of the way so that by the time you get your green card, you will able to start working as a teacher right away without further delays.

Finally, please remember that you should become a teacher because you WANT to teach and not because you like the lifestyle. This is only fair to your future students and employer.

Good luck!

3. Sri09

Sri09 Senior IL'ite

Even I am planning to teach in Colleges. I enquired some Professors here. They said most of the schools or colleges doesnt process visas. They advised me to apply for a Green Card and even with EAD, one can start working. Meanwhile, go to a school nearby and talk to some of the teachers there. You will get an idea. I am doing the same here.

4. anjali85

anjali85 New IL'ite

Dear Malyatha and Sri09,

Thanks a lot for reading and replying for my post. The info. which u both provided were really informative. I will do so accordingly.

Thanks again,
    Anjali.