1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Planning for Parents Future - Suggestions / Inputs required

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Pallavi4me, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Hai All,

I'm here now to discuss what are all the things we can plan and arrange for our parents for their old age for their comfort, safety and in case of emergencies / unexpected situations.

The pointers I'm looking for are in terms of Financial security for them and also Emotional concerns that we have to take care of. What we can do to put them in place.

(I know we may not be able to prepare for everything, but with different experiences from each of us, this would help in many issues)

It is not always sure that we (children) stay at the same place as they are.

1. Having a Home to Live without worrying about Rentals etc.. (if they are living on Pension/ Retirement funds)

2. Accessibility to Hospitals from the place of residence

3. Having good Connectivity to and from for the Place where Children lives

4. Having a health insurance policy in place

5. Provisions for Regular Heath check-ups

6. Having some amount of money as back-up for their necessities

7. Having relatives / Friends with whom they can spend some time on regular basis

8. Having knowledge about the present day Bank Transactions / Basic computer knowledge - to avail e-transactions / English to deal with travels etc..

I wish to see, what are all other things we can look for and can takecare of. Will be great if you can share any experiences relevant to this issue.

3 people like this.

2. Akkinenirockz

Akkinenirockz Bronze IL'ite

By the time they need support, we are getting enough old (mentally) to be part of them :)

Our parents more stronger than us.

1 person likes this.
  3. strangegirl

strangegirl Silver IL'ite

We can't plan for everything. If they are at least going to be together, then we can plan a home, savings and other stuff with a maid to assist them at home. But what if they are to suffer all alone (Old age is not certain, and there is a serious risk of losing one of the parents in between)?

As far as emotional need of the old parents, that too if they happened to be a single parents concern, I would say living with them, or letting them to live with us is the best policy.

All what you need is to make sure that they are not nosy, their presence is not an hindrance to your spouse or kids. Some extra work from your side helps.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pallavi4me

Thanks for the response strangegirl.

I agree with you that everything cannot be planned. But what I'm looking for is apart from the listed things in my 1st post, there may be few other pointers that need to be considered. With different persons experiences, people can add their views here.

I completely agree with you, in Old age nothing is certain, thats why we are planning to be nearer to parents.

As of now, parents are taking care of themselves very well and I don't need to pitch in day to day management at home. But few years down the line, when they might be requiring help/ assistance, I want to be at proximity.

5. Pallavi4me

Though they are mentally & emotionally stronger, sometimes is it nt child's responsibility to take care of them when the situations necessitates. I'm just looking for pointers to be considered.

Thanks for responding Akkinenirockz.

6. strangegirl

strangegirl Silver IL'ite

So nice of you to think of your parents. I shall help you as far as I can from our personal experience

My mom and dad are capable enough both physically and financially to manage their lives. As long as they are together, they will be fine emotionally too. They live close by, and visit us often. Also they spend their times mostly on religious activities, which has turned out to be their recent priority.

However, down the line, if one of them loses their spouse, I am very sure that they will become emotionally very weak. They won't be able to handle their loneliness at their home all alone. We siblings have all married, and have our own priorities to take care of. Specially we all are working parents.
    Therefore, our time to time visits will not going to make any better in their affected emotional state at their older age. Specially, we are much worried about their poor physical and health condition of that age that might cause more damage to their already affected emotions.

Therefore when the time comes for one of them to leave the world, we have decided to take the other one with us instead of letting them to face the pain alone.

My sister lives with her in laws, although her in laws are great it is not a good idea to take one of our parent to their home. Basically my parents are not capable of adjusting and managing in a new family setup at their older age.

My brother lives close by too. SIL is also very caring and very affectionate towards my parents. If it is going to be my dad, then definitely he will spend his rest of the life with my brother and SIL as he jells really good with them. My brother too would love this idea, since my dad can be very helpful with his personal business too.

But if that is going to be my mom, then definitely I will take the lead in taking care of her. She is very affectionate towards my DD, and would prefer to be with me than with my brother and SIL. My husband is her pet, so she will be just fine with us. Also we are living in our home, and in laws are far from us.

Whoever takes care of the parents would spend on their needs too. Others can complement it with gifts, visits and physical/emotional support (both to the parent and sibling)

All are just plans, and my parents have no idea about them at all.

We know circumstance do change, and who knows - Practically speaking we might see the heaven (or hell) before our parents - Life can not be planned as we think.

7. Pallavi4me

agree to it strangegirl.:thumbsup

Thanks for coming again and sharing your thoughts. I wish healthy and happy times for your parents.