Planning Coaching

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by messedup, Aug 21, 2018.

1. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

:hello:was expecting many more advices. :thinking::shakehead:

2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I think you can try to teach kids through audio visual methods instead of just textbooks only and make it highly interactive . If you teach in fun interactive methods , they will be more eager to come . I also agree giving high discount for parents who cant afford.

Try to complete everything in class hours, don't give home assignments as it will overburden them . You come across as a sensitive person I feel you will be a good teacher .

shravs3 and messedup like this.
  3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for this.....

Thanks for the reply...
    I agree with all your points and for making it audio visual i will need to invest many things. So we can put it for later on stage. Thanks for understanding and coming here again for giving your inputs.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Good luck on this new venture. A few things to consider :
    A) Do you and friend have the expertise and updated skills to teach all subjects upto 10th std? If not, start off with specific subjects and maybe upto 7 th std ?
    B) practice with your and friends kids. Different kids have different requirements.
    C) Find out what the market rate is. Go slightly lower. If you go too low it’s tricky to get back to market rate.
    D) Plan to have a open house with snacks and refreshments ( a day where all parents can come see the place , ask questions). Advertise the open house on Facebook/ whatsapp , with friends and maybe hand out fliers
    E) Have good seating arrangements. Comfortable chairs and benches.
    F) The first question I ask before enrolling my sons for any class is about the teachers experience. Have something to show for that.

I hope you succeed ! My two kids will come to you when you are established :)

messedup likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@messedup,

1 - Check whether your subdivision has any deed restriction to allow a small business to be conducted from home and display a sign board about the business. Generally, there will be no restriction for coaching/consulting, etc. unless goods are stored and shipped. However, there will be cars coming in and going out to drop kids.

2 - Register your coaching program as a business with a local government. There could be an occupancy tax to be paid every year. This is nominal

3 - Register your business with the state government and obtain the certificate of registration/incorporation. This is essential for others to learn that your business is legitimate

4 - Register your business with IRS and obtain EIN. This is essential for filing tax returns every year. Once you register as a business, they will also expect you to file quarterly returns even if you don't employee anyone. If you employ other people, you need to comply with minimum wage requirement of the state.

5 - Prepare a detailed plan as to how you are going to grow the business, a target revenue to have for the next three years, infrastructure needs, etc.

6 - Find out whether any other regulatory approvals are need to run such a coaching program for kids.

7 - Obtain application with name, address, emergency contact, medical condition of the child, who is authorized as parent/guardian, etc. If a parent who doesn't have custody of the child picks up a child, there could be liability for the coaching company.

8 - If required, obtain insurance coverage for any business liabilities that might arise.

9 - Please make sure a storage space is created for the children to keep their things, if required.

messedup likes this.
  6. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the last line. It boosted up my positive energy. We have the knowledge as well as experience of teaching. For that we can at least revise some topic beforehand. Our kids are too small and it's not possible to practice on them.
    Open house is a good idea. Will keep it safe for near future. For sitting arrangements we are setting the room and planning to decorate it too with some study related material charts. Let' hope for the best. Thanks for the reply.

SinghManisha likes this.
  7. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the reply sir. Your suggestions are at very high level. I am opening just a small coaching centre at home. Still will check what kind of permissions I need to take. Thank you for showing me this side too.

Adharv likes this.
  8. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Hi Sis, hope you're residing in India. If so taking home tuitions I don't think there is much of formalities like registration stuffs. Revenue wise also I don't think you will have much complications unless you make huge income.

Below are few points which I wanted to share based on my experience as student and tutor.

1. Personal attention: Top priority as this would be one of the missing factor at school and why parents choose to send their kids to tuitions. Otherwise it will same "Gumbala Govinda" where students will not really be worried about the teachers.

2. Encourage: Some of us would be reserved to ask questions and express our view. Since the strength will be less we can try to make the students come out of their reserved feel and encourage them clear their doubts.

3. Test: Simple oral tests, recap of previous days classes, weekend tests, might be useful.SO as tutor u can understand where exactly the student stand. Also we can modify the teaching style as required.

4. Atmosphere: Friendly atmosphere, students should not be embarrassed in front of the crowd. Make the sessions more interactive.

5. Text book reading: For the higher classes it is really mandate to make the students read the text books and ask questions from the text books and not to just restrict the questions at the end of each lesson. Because the board papers are little tricky.

6. Control: Don't be too strict nor too liberal. Lower grade kids would be too hyper so need to tackle them smartly.

7. Seminar & discussion: If you have enough time you can ask students to take small sessions so you understand their understanding skill also you can discuss about the topics and give more chance to open up their views. THis is mainly for the higher grades. I feel this would be big plus because we will try to build our skills on this and pay the same kind of interest and attention in the school as well. Gradually this would reduce your time because the students would clear most of their doubts in school only.

8. Sharing: As you and your friend are going to start it together you can share the subjects or grades as required so it will be little easy for you as well.

9. Exercise: 1 or 2 mint of simple physical activities to keep the students alert and energized.

This is what I have got for now. Hope this helps you little at least. Prioritize on individual attention, interactive and friendly atmosphere. Also some mind and memory games.

Thank you.

messedup likes this.
  9. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot. I was looking for this kind to reply from someone that covers all the basic needs. All of your points are useful and I will take care of these things. It will really help me a lot. Thank you so much. Take care

Adharv likes this.
  10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Hi M, All the best with your new venture.

I don't have much experience in coaching except giving assistance in Maths and physics to a few kids (ranging from 2nd to +2 level) in my home in India. It was free service. My thoughts here.

1) Make sure to collect email or phone number of parents in advance. You can also use any apps to communicate with parents (example remind, bloomz etc). This will help you to inform about tests and common information. But individual information should be send to parents. If someone is absent or not paid fee you can inform them. May be you can prepare a form to fill in by the parents with relevant information when they join your center.
    2) Safety of kids in your place. Friendly atmosphere. Comfortable seats and tables.
    3) Collect previous years question papers in each grade. Give tests often. Model tests for term exams. I found that's very effective to improve their performance in school exams.
    4) Try to understand kids, their individual needs and build reputation. That will only help in long run.
    5) Have a plan for each grade and what to do in each class, how much to cover. Please don't over load kids with home work and too many lessons
    6) Some parents appreciate if you can assist kids in doing their school homework and to complete it, especially in small grades.
    7) When parents find their kids are doing well and you are reliable, naturally they recommend it to others.
    8) Inform well in advance about fees for each grade.
    9) Good relationship with parents and students.
    10) Drinking water and toilet

Good luck

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    messedup likes this.