Places to Visit in Assam

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by SoniaVerma, Feb 25, 2009.

1. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

I'd like to dedicate this thread to Mayuri who has posted such a beautiful thread on Assam
    All I can say after reading through your beautiful representation is WOW! It sounds like Heaven on Earth. I had heard about Assam from my friends but never felt like visiting it till Mayuri...You brought us so close to it. The Pics you have posted are beautiful and enthralling. :thumbsup

Thank you for the heartfelt invitation. I'd definitely like to visit this Enchanting Land. And I sincerely feel everybody at Indusladies must be feeling the same. I'm starting this new thread as I'd like people from Assam to tell us about the PLACES TO VISIT in Assam. This will make our Journey enjoyable!

Happy Posting!

Sonia

2. MayuriBordoloi

MayuriBordoloi New IL'ite

Places to Visit in Assam - Kamakhya Temple

Great thread!!!
    There are many places to visit in Assam from religious places to natural beauty. However, I'd like to start off with an introduction to The Kamakhya Temple in Guwahati. :bowdown

Best Time to visit: All the year round/ peak season - Ambuvachi
    Temple hours: The temple remains open from 8.00 am to sunset, except for 2 hours at noon when the temple doors remain close.
    How to reach: One can easily reach Kamakhya Temple by taking regular Buses or by hiring taxis from Guwahati

3. gunjanasaikia25

gunjanasaikia25 New IL'ite

Places to Visit - National Parks in Assam

<st1:country-region><st1:place></st1:place></st1:country-region>[FONT=&quot]Hi Friends,

You all must be aware of National Parks in India (mostly Rajasthn and MP) like the famous Jim Corbett National Park, ranthambore National park and the Gir Forests. But, there are many national parks in Assam which are waiting to receive visitors like you. Let me introduce you to a few of them.

[/FONT]<st1:place><st1:placename></st1:placename><st1:placename>[FONT=&quot]Kaziranga[/FONT]</st1:placename><st1:placetype>[FONT=&quot]National Park[/FONT]</st1:placetype></st1:place>[FONT=&quot]
    Mornings in the
    [/FONT]<st1:place><st1:placename>[FONT=&quot]Kaziranga[/FONT]</st1:placename><st1:placetype>[FONT=&quot]National Park[/FONT]</st1:placetype></st1:place>[FONT=&quot] in the northeastern state of [/FONT]<st1:country-region><st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Assam[/FONT]</st1:place></st1:country-region>[FONT=&quot] are generally misty. So much so that the main gate of the Park is called kohra, or mist.

[/FONT]<st1:place><st1:placename>[FONT=&quot]Manas[/FONT]</st1:placename><st1:placetype>[FONT=&quot]National Park[/FONT]</st1:placetype></st1:place>[FONT=&quot]
    Manas is situated in
    [/FONT]<st1:country-region><st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Assam[/FONT]</st1:place></st1:country-region>[FONT=&quot] spread over an area of 391 sq km, earlier it was known as [/FONT]<st1:place>[FONT=&quot]North Kamrup[/FONT]</st1:place>[FONT=&quot], declared as a sanctuary on [/FONT]<st1:date year="1928" day="1" month="12">[FONT=&quot]December 01, 1928[/FONT]</st1:date>[FONT=&quot].

Nameri National Park
    Nameri National Park covering an area of about 200sq. kms is located at the foothills of eastern Himalayas about 35km from Tezpur, the nearest town.

[/FONT]<st1:place><st1:placename>[FONT=&quot]Orang[/FONT]</st1:placename><st1:placetype>[FONT=&quot]National Park[/FONT]</st1:placetype></st1:place>[FONT=&quot]
    Considered to be the mini-Kaziranga due to its natural setting and presence of River Bhramhaputra in the northern frontier.

[/FONT] Dibru - <st1:place><st1:placename><st1:place><st1:placename>Saikhowa</st1:placename></st1:place></st1:placename></st1:place> <st1:placetype><st1:placetype>National Park</st1:placetype></st1:placetype>
    Dibru - Saikhowa is the largest national<st1:place><st1:placetype><st1:place><st1:placetype> park</st1:placetype></st1:place> of <st1:placename><st1:placename>Assam</st1:placename></st1:placename></st1:placetype></st1:place>, spread over an area of 650 sq. km. It is located at about 13 kms north of Tinsukia town and
    <u1:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" u2:spt="75" u2:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><u1:stroke joinstyle="miter"><u1:formulas><u1:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"><u1:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"><u1:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"><u1:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"><u1:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"><u1:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"><u1:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"><u1:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"><u1:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"><u1:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"><u1:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"><u1:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></u1:f><u1:path u2:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" u2:connecttype="rect"><u2:lock u1:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></u2:lock><u1:shape id="_x0000_s1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="Fairs & Festivals, Assam Travel Holidays" style="position: absolute; margin-left: -90pt; margin-top: -596.75pt; width: 127.5pt; height: 90pt; z-index: 1;" u2:allowoverlap="f"><u1:imagedata src="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.jpg" u2:title="fairs-festivals-assam"><u3:wrap type="square"></u3:wrap>is bounded by the <st1:place><st1:place>Brahmaputra</st1:place></st1:place> river and Arunachal hills in the north and Dibru and Patkai hills on the south.</u1:imagedata></u1:shape></u1:path></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:f></u1:formulas></u1:stroke></u1:shapetype>[FONT=&quot]is bounded by the <st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Brahmaputra[/FONT]</st1:place> river and Arunachal hills in the north and Dibru and Patkai hills on the south.[/FONT]<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    [FONT=&quot] <!--[endif]-->[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]<!--[endif]-->[/FONT]

4. MayuriBordoloi

Re: Places to Visit in Assam - Umananda Temple

Here's another place worth visiting in Assam - The Umananda Temple

The <st1:place><st1:placetype></st1:placetype><st1:placename>Umananda</st1:placename></st1:place><st1:placetype> temple</st1:placetype> is located on the Pea cock <st1:place>Island</st1:place> in the middle of the river <st1:place>Brahmaputra</st1:place> at Guwahati. Country boats that are available at this place take the visitors to the island. The mountain on which the temple has been built is known as Bhasmacala.

The presiding deity of the temple is Umananda (Tatrasti bhagavan sambhu- ruma- nandakarah Prabhu). It is believed that, worship here on the Amavasya day when it falls on Monday brings the highest bliss. The Siva Chaturdasi is the most colourful festival that is held here annually. Many devotees come to the temple on this occasion for the worship of the deity.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->Journey to <st1:place><st1:placename>Umanand</st1:placename><st1:placetype>Temple</st1:placetype></st1:place> in <st1:place><st1:placename>Guwahati</st1:placename></st1:place>
    <st1:place><st1:placename></st1:placename>
    <st1:placetype>Airport</st1:placetype></st1:place>:
    The nearest airport is at Guwahati. From where you have to take a ferry to the <st1:place><st1:placename>Pea</st1:placename><st1:placename>Cock</st1:placename><st1:placetype>Island</st1:placetype></st1:place> to visit the temple.
    Railhead: The closest railhead is at Guwahati, From here you have to take a ferry to the <st1:place><st1:placename>Pea</st1:placename><st1:placename>Cock</st1:placename><st1:placetype>Island</st1:placetype></st1:place>
    in the middle of the river <st1:place>Brahmaputra</st1:place>. The railhead at Guwahati is connected to almost all the major cities of <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.
    Road Transport: Guwahati is linked to all the major cities of <st1:country-region><st1:place>Assam</st1:place></st1:country-region>
    and nearby states. One can easily Guwahati by road from any part of the state.
    Water Transport:
    As the temple resides in an <st1:place>Island</st1:place> amidst the <st1:place><st1:placename>Brahmaputra</st1:placename><st1:placetype>River</st1:placetype></st1:place>, one has to take a ferry to reach the temple. The ferries are arranged by the state tourism department for the tourists from all the parts of <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>[FONT=&quot] and world.

Have you visited Umananda, tell us more about it and if you liked the place.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]--> <!--[endif]-->[/FONT]

5. uttarkideepika

uttarkideepika New IL'ite

Its been quite a long time since we visited Kamakhya temple and Umananda. Reading the posts has really been like revisiting the shrines. I remember how excited we used to be to visit Kamakhya temple and the 'pandas' of the temple flocking us as soon we alighted from our cars.

However, it is definitely a divine experience as you enter the shrine deep under the ground. I definitely look forward to visiting again. Please continue sharing more information. :thumbsup

6. MayuriBordoloi

You can visit Kamakhya temple all round the year. However, a trip to the temple during Ambubachi is every devotee's wish. The Ambubachi Mela is celebrated every year during the monsoon season, which happens to fall in around the middle of the month of June.

The Ambubachi Mela is the most important festival of the Kamakhya Temple of Guwahati. It is believed that the presiding goddess of the temple, Devi Kamakhya, the Mother Shakti, goes through her annual cycle of menstruation during this time stretch.

The rituals at Ambubachi Mela:

During the Ambubachi Mela in Guwahati, the doors of the <st1:place><st1:placename>Kamakhya</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>Temple</st1:placetype></st1:place>Daily worships and other religious performances are also stopped during the Ambubachi Mela of Guwahati in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Assam</st1:place></st1:country-region>.
    remain closed for three days. It is believed that the Mother Earth becomes unclean for three days. During this time any kind of farming work is not taken on in Assam and to all those who believe in the Goddess.

After the completion of three days, the doors of the <st1:place><st1:placename>Kamakhya</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>Temple</st1:placetype></st1:place> are reopened. But the doors of the temple are reopened only after Devi Kamakhya is bathed and the other rituals are executed. It is then believed that the Mother Earth has retrieved her purity. This is purely a ritual of the Tantrik cult.

The Ambubachi Mela in Guwahati is held at the <st1:place><st1:placename>Kamakhya</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>Temple</st1:placetype></st1:place>, after being closed for the mentioned three days. On the fourth day, the devotees of the Goddess are allowed to enter the temple for worshipping Devi Kamakhya. Thousands of pilgrims are found to visit the Ambubachi Mela in Guwahati from all over <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

7. Delo

Delo Senior IL'ite

Dear Mayuri,
    I'l be visiting Gauhati on 21,22nd June.On one of the days i hope to visit Kamakhya temple.Would it be closed then?
    Delo

8. Delo

Delo Senior IL'ite

Re: Places to Visit in Assam - Kamakhya Temple

Just want to tell u guys that I visited Assam last month 'n thought wud'nt recognize anything but I'm glad I took the trip.Met up all my neighbors,Kongs(Shillong),located everyone basically.
    Felt sad to know that my favourite place on earth hasn't advanced at all.I fail to understand why they don't take up tourism in a big big way.The palce is so wonderful,people are so very nice........they have so much potential in tourism.Want to revisit again as I loved it all over again plus its so economical.
    My neighbors,Kongs treated me as if I was their long,lost daughter who finally had come home.So very touching that it pained me to come back to Delhi.
    I found my house in Shillong which i had left maybe when I was 5 or 6.Locating my Kongmai was tough but I was determined.No social network helped .My Dada tried to locate her 2 yrs back 'n had come back disappointed.I managed to locate her family only on the 2nd last day.She has died,did a service in the church where she used to take me every Sunday and on Christmas,visited her grave......She had brought me up as a baby 'n I was immensely close to her.

Gauhati wasn't so bad coz I had left it when I was 9 maybe. Met up with all our neighbors,even Baba's driver,Rafiq ,our man-servant who's become a head priest in the Mosque now.

Don't know if any of you could relate to my ramble here.Our Family had a wonderful time in Assam,as soon as we left it we lost our very very wonderful,jovial father very young.It was essential somehow that I visit Assam someday.It was like beckoning me 'n somewhere around 2007 the urge was too strong(Kongmai died then!!).
    Do share if any of you visit Assam.
    Lots of love to all,
    Delo

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  9. MayuriBordoloi

Moromor Dalia,

Lovely to hear from you about your Assam-Shillong trip. Believe me, your narrative about the visit, the search for your Kong Mai and Rafiq is giving me goosebumps. I believe, its very rare that someone can go to that extent for re-living childhood memories - and perhaps you are one of those very fortunate ones too.....

My salute to you..... :bowdown

I only wish, you could meet your Kong Mai, but she'll bless you from Heaven above. Coming back to your trip, where else did you visit besides Guwahati & Shillong? Would love to know more about your Guwahati trip and maybe some exclusive pics too.... :)

Did you make it to the Kamakhya Temple finally? How was the experience?

Morom loba,
    Mayuri

Attached Files:

10. MayuriBordoloi

Sorry Delo, I deeply regret my unavailability to answer your query at that point of time. Had been on a virtual sanyas of sort - been lately involved with too many personal and professional commitments; but I guess thats no excuse. :hide:

Cheers to our friendship!

With lots of morom,

Mayuri