Places to visit in and around chennai

Discussion in 'Travel' started by kv_shyamala, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Geetha,

OOps... sorry if you felt wrong. And i am shanthi no madam please. I am sorry if i made a mistake.

I thought i had mentioned. (I hope i am allowed to make mistakes dear.)

All of us are entitled to post. this is a public forum. I only said thanks for the map. I have not said anything wrong....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Geetha Thanks for the map. Btw can you pls elaborate more on that Panduranga temple. I have been longing to visit this temple for a long time. And I need some details to convince my family to come along with me.

Thanks in advance.

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

As we are discussing about places to visit in and around Chennai, I think I could add Birla Panetarium and Museum to the list.

Birla PlanetariumThe Birla Planetarium is at Kotturpuram, between Adyar and Guindy. Thoug I have been there when I was young, I still remember the beautiful show we saw there in their indoor auditorium. The shows are very educative and informative. This is the most modern planetarium in the country. The Periyar Science and Technology Museum next to the planetarium is sure to be of interest to students who love science.

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

The Museum at Chennai is in Egmore near the Thillaiaadi Valliammai Pattu Maaligai. The museum displays so many different artefacts. The museum complex includes National Art Gallery and Children's Museum too. A must place to visit for kids of all ages.

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Next comes the Valluvar Kottam in Nungambakkam. It is one of the famous landmarks in Chennai. The memorial is shaped like a temple chariot and the replica of the temple chariot in Thiruvarur.
    A life-size statue of the saint has been installed in the chariot which is 33m. tall. All the 133 chapters of Thirukkural have been depicted in the front hall corridors of the chariot.
    There is a huge auditorium also in the complex and it is is said to be the largest in Asia and can accommodate about 4000 people.

6. anushakmurthy

anushakmurthy New IL'ite

Another additions to temples in Chennai which can be explored are

- Skanda Ashramam (which is in East Tamabaram - near Rajakilpakkam)
    This temple is a very nice one, all deities are minimum of 6 Ft and the Ayyapan deity has hit the Guinness Record for its size.

Another one which I heard was "Puri Jagannath" temple which is off ECR(Kanathur) I think...Its closed till July 4 owing to Guru Purnima.
    I heard it gives you a feel of original Puri Jagannath temple in Orissa.

I am planning on visiting this temple the coming weekend...
    If any of you have visited, do share your experience...

7. Geetha Iyer

Geetha Iyer New IL'ite

Dear rajmiarun,

I am glad that you want to visit the temple. The temple has been built an exact replica of the temple at Pandarpur in Maharashtra. But, special care and efforts have been made. The place is visited by people from all over the world from Malaysia, Singapore, U.K and U.S.A. Some of the people have built rest houses with all modern facilities and during normal days one can stay there (I think free of charge). Food is served in the temple free. In August end this year there is Haridos Swami's Maha Pooja and at that time the place will be full of people including people from abroad. I am giving the photo of the temple here. Further details you can get by clicking on this link.
    :::>>>:::...Ga Trust

[​IMG]

Regards,

Geetha Iyer

8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Geetha,
    Thanks a lot for the info. I will get the details from the link.

9. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Anusha,
    I have to bonkbonkbonkmyself for forgetting Skandasramam. Residing in its locality I have to :hide: for forgetting to mention about that temple. The big Meru in the centre is surrounded by Raja Rajeshwari, Skandar, Prathyankara and Veera Sarabeshwarar. Dattatreya, Panchamukha Ganapathi, Panchamukha Anchaneya, Sudarshanazhwar with Lakshmi Narashimhar, Saneeshwarar, Durgai, Sahasralingam and yes Ayyapan Sanidhi all are very divine.

10. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Let me add two temple to the list
    1)Vaithiya veeraraghavar temple Tiruvallur(You can travel by train from central to the destination).Immediate to the station(tiruvallur) is bus terminus.There you can get the help of auto man there or even hire a bus to reach the temple.As the name(vaitiyam) suggests,this temple is worshipped to cure illness and famous for it.You can find a pool opposite to the temple where some customary practises are done related to it.

2)Triplicane parthasarathy temple.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008