1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pills to Stop Lactation...Yes or No???????

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by swaran, Mar 28, 2011.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aishu....

thanks for those words...as you say i too feel that D satisfies herself more with BM when she is hungry and this prevents her from eating the right amount of food that is required...she eats better on weekdays than on weekends,because she knows mommy is around to satisfy...i can even see that sometimes she just drinks BM for the sake of enjoyment...she loves playing and drinking with it...infact the moment i say yes to her request,she immediately starts jumping saying "hayya" and her face blooms like a sweet flower...:)

coming to the point,DD now can understand everything now and hence i am not able to turn her away from drinking by bribing biscuits or any other thing that she likes...she starts to cry continuously,becomes very violent till i show her my B....so i am left with no other choice other than either applying some neem or some other oil that would turn her away or use tablets which would stop the flow and she would get a feeling that momma has no more

Tablets now since many are warning,i am still thinking...need to start again with these herbs

incase you get to know any information from your friends reagrding tablet usage,do let me know....thanks again dear :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Swaran, am weaning my 1.6yrs old.

According to me, weaning plan and suppressing lactation are 2 different things, you need to plan both separarely.

Weaning - I have other caretakers in the day and DH puts him to sleep in the night. Initially I stopped feeding in the day for a week, I didnt try neem or any other taste deterrants, but told him NO MORE NURSINGS, he cried, I kept telling I love you, but no more nursings (he understands the word NURSING to BFg). The second week, I slept in the other room, DH handled him in the nights, whenever he wokeup, he drank water from a sipper and slept. Somedays he sleeps through the night, somedays he wakes up screaming.

Suppressing lactation - After staying almost 50+hrs without BFg, i got engorged breats, it was sooo painful and reddish, i tried cold cabbage compress and jasmine flowers compress, but it didnt help. Finally i went to a gyn, believed her completely and took 'cb-lin', 0.5mg 2tabs only once in the night, single dose. My engorgement eased and I felt light,no pain, but this wont make the Bs thoroughly empty, sometimes milk leaks when i take bath or when i try to express. So even after the meds, if you let your child feed, your body will get the 'signal' and you WILL produce more milk. So plan the weaning, then you can worry about lactation suppressants, according to your health and gyn.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

vishalini...thanks a lot for the details...
    actually i too was thinking to plan these two seperately but due to some reasons or maybe seeing my DD not eating and also few more personal issues,made me to take these two at the same time

i tried speaking to DD saying no in a nice way but she never responded....she gets arrogant,too much to handle and i had to give up....as you say even if i let her sleep in another room,as already said,she did stay away from me for 5 days but when she came back,she started again....she was fine those 5 days without mommy,no big issues at all...

as you say,i need to stay away from her once a week and check on her...i guess it would take lot of time for me to wean her...lets try

4. amritavarshini

amritavarshini Bronze IL'ite

swaran..i'm trying to stop lactation..i dont have anybody else to handle the kid during day time so it is a big problem..my mom is a teacher, my father is not at home, my husband is doing research so it is not an easy job for me..but then they are very cooperative...in kerala we use something called chenninayakam to wean the baby, it is not a herb, it is a sticky substance ( looks like asafoetida)..thats the usual remedy here..i'm yet to try..the problem is that i feel very guilty about it...i have a good milk supply and honestly i want to feed her till she is 2 but my health isnt allowing me..half of my mind says stop and the other half says dont..we are pure vegetarians.. she likes all other food, she is trained to have almost everything we cook at home ( all veg dishes except very spicy dishes and strong masalas but we very rarely make such kind of things...but now she likes pickles also!!) ...she eats well if im not around but if she sees me then she wants to have milk...well most probably i will try weaning this week..il let u know the developments

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear amritha...i know how a mother feels when she needs to wean her baby especially when her supply is good...i too am passing through the same...:-(

thanks for the information and yes please do respond me your feedback....

thanks in advance :)

6. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Swaran,sorry for the late reply....

I havent heard abt these tablets...

I weaned off her when she was 18 mo old..I havent had this engorgement problems since my supply became very low at that time.She didnt like that smell I suppose, she never sucks me after I applied it....To my utter surprise she stopped all of a sudden....

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks for sharing your experience dear...i am yet to try bitterguard...need to...this week