1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Pillow - how to make to fluffy again?

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Varloo, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I am using the recron filled pillows. But now they all have become somewhat flat. How can I make them fluffy again? If I stitch new bags and stuff the same recron again, will it be okay? Or should I get it done by a pro?

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

About pillows...

Dear Varloo,

I am sorry that I am not in the know how about recron pillows. I assume that recron is some sort of synthetic material to fill pillows. Those days, I know that it was a big and messy deal when my mother got all the pillows restuffed with new fillings. A guy used to come with a big contraption and occupy the back verandah for a whole day to do them!
    It is much economical and easier to buy new pillows in the western countries and replace the old ones.
    I hope you will receive a much more useful tips from other readers.

L, Kamla

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Brought back memories!

Dear Kamla,

You brought backold memories with your talk about that guy with the big contraption. Do you recall, they used to twang the stiff rope that used to be on the contraptions and it used make this really big noise. Yes and the whole house used to be filled with all the cotton fluff, when the restuffing process was going on!!.

Varloo, as Kamla suggests may just get new pillows. Not sure if these guys are around anymore??

Vandhana

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Memories

Right Vandhana...those amazing days. Life was so simple and basic. But this pillow filling stuff was a real messy business:)

L, Kamla

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

fluffing yr pillows, Varloo

Varloo sweetheart,

If recron is washable, I would suggest u put yr pillows in the washing machine and run a cold water, delicate cycle. Then dry it with two tennis balls. The balls will bounce round and make the pillows fluffy. I have tried this for my old pillows and it works.

love
    Vidya

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Tennis balls!!

Dear Vidya,

I am so glad to see you here after a long break. How are you and are you hooked on to the net now??
    Who would have thought of tennis balls to fluff up pillows! I had never heard of that trick. If only I had known about it last month...:( I killed two pillows by washing and drying!! Nice tip, thanks.

L, Kamla

7. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

where?

Dear vidya,
    Do we put the ball inside the pillow or bounce it from outside?
    Regards,
    Meenu

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai girls,
    it is good to see that you are all nostalgic by my query. Now we don't get the man to come and do the pillows at home. But we can send it to the shop. But they charge more than the price of the pillow. I shall try Vidya's tip, that seems to be good. And Meenu, put the balls in the washing machine, then they will bounce when drying and thus puff the pillow.I am right, Vidya?
    My sil is having cotton trees in the vicinity. She buys the seeds when they are fully grown, and processes them by herself. Then she stitchs pillow cases and my brother fills them. But I prefer this new type as they are easy to handle and last longer.

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

yes on spot

Varloo babes,

Ys, u r right. Put the balls inside the drier with wet pillows. It will bounce round alarmingly, but the glass does not break. I have done this twice. But i must say, try at yr own risk.BTW, this is from the BBC programme, "houses Behaving Badly' presnted by stephanie Meadows. If u google her, u will find this tip.

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

hi kamla

Kamla babes,

thanks for noticing me. I hope to get internet in 10 days and will haunt u all a lot. As i wrote to Varloo, this tip is not original. As a busy housewife these days, I watch much TV.

Dunno why am feeling very chummy, hence addressing all of you as 'babes'. I hope no one will call Raghu and ANnad and warn them that I am up to my usual endearment tricks. But no one in IL is so mean. We are among friends and philosophers here.

As the governator says,' I will be baaaack.'