Pilgrimage to Ettumanoor, Kaduthuruthi, Vaikom, Guruvayoor

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by Varloo, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

What you've done is a beautiful gesture!

Thanks for the wonderful wishes and hope you had a wonderful time during the pilgrimage...

Love
    Shalini

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanks for ur nice gesture.....

hai varloo,
    welcome back and thanku a lot for all those prayers....i also wait for my daughter to annouce something nice...hope ur prayers reach them and they say something nice...yes some nice snaps of the place and some good interesting story like travel information would be great for all of us here....regards..sunkan

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Really touching

Hai folks,
    I just mentioned about the trip and got so many responses. Thanks to all. I have benefitted from others' prayer- the Prayer Towers (a Christian Organisation of Dr.Dinakaran operating from Chennai) had prayed for my son when he struggling to be alive. Ibelieve that their prayers had also helped for him. So I have made it a point to pray for others too, especially people who are not connected with us at all. This will be more selfless.
    I usually go to all these temples when I visit my mother annually so I do not have much idea about distance etc. I shall post the details once I collect all that, in a day or two. There is also another temple at Tripunitura - Sree Poornathreyeesan temple. The diety is called Santhana gopalan and obviously we pray for children here. The diety is Lord Krishan, very beautiful looking with lots of lotus flowers. There is a large painting of the Lord with lots of children playing around him, on top of him, on his lap etc.
    I will surely collect all info and post it soon. Kerala has got so many ancient temples. Temples for Rama and his brothers is situated only in Kerala. I visited those temples last year.
    Please bear with me, I shall get back soon.
    My hubby is a very lucky person and he recieved the kaupeenam of Lord Guruvayoorappan as prasadam 3 times. We are keeping one in our pooja, another in our car and the 3rd he gave to his friend who also is awaiting to be blessed with a child.
    With regards,
    varloo

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Coincidence

HI Varloo,

Thanks for mentioning the kaupeenam of Guruvayoorappan. My husband returned from India two days back and my mom sent a kaupeena prasadam along with other things. In my haste in finishing off the bhakshanam etc, i forgot all abt the most important kaupeenam. Today when I read yr post (on Rama Navami) I remembered it and hope to place it in my poojai. That is one good divine reminder thru you.

We got this kaupeenam from a friend. Do you know how we can get it from the temple? A couple of my husband's aunts wish for one.

cheers
    Vidya

5. lakshmidevyani

lakshmidevyani New IL'ite

question about guruvayurappan kaupeenam

hi vidya,

what is the significance of lord guruvayurappan kaupeenam ? i have heard it mentioned somewhere before too. is that like "aranakaiyar" (thread around waist?)
    and can be bought?
    thanks
    devyani

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Guruvayoorappan's kaupeenam

Hi Lakshmi,

This is the vastram - the garment that the Baby Krishna wears. I think kaupeenam is like a cloth that is tied as diaper on a baby. You have it in different colours , as pattu (silk vastram). It is not an aranakayar, but is cloth tied on baby's arai (waist/hip).

I was blessed to get two- one as a typical,off white pattu cloth. The other is a bejewelled one with golden sequins.

It is auspiscious to keep this in our house,car etc. They say if you keep the vastram in cupboards, it will prosper. U can keep it in poojai also, as rakshai in car.

A lot of my relatives want this, so I enquired abt procuring this in the Guruvayoor temple. They said that they auction all the vastrams on certain days, so you can get some then. Or on any day, if you ask the Secretary, he will give you what you want. You can offer an amount of your choice in the temple hundi as payment. It is not difficult to get a vastram,actually.

Hope this helps.
    warm regards
    Vidya

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    the Kaupeenam is made as an offering to the Lord by people who are waiting to be blessed with a baby. It is believed that once we offer that, our wish will be fulfilled by the Lord. The Kaupeenam which is adorned to the Lord willbe given as prasadam to the person who does the offering. It is triangular shaped, the cloth is folded like that. When stuck to the Deity, it looks like the Lord is wearing a G string.
    There is also a practise of offering a golden thread as waist band to the Lord, the same purpose.
    I hope this clears the doubts.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

8. Ashna

Ashna Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your wishes

Hi Varloo,

Thanks a lot for your Prayers and Wishes. As it is said when you say ill to some one, three fingers are pointed to yourself and only one to other person. Similarly,
    When you pray & have good wishes for others again three fingers are pointed to yourself along with the one to other person. And these are the GOD's ways...
    So on behalf of all of us i would say that the amount wishes and prayers you have done for us, You will be blessed much more times....
    God Bless you and your family.

Regards,
    Ashna

9. sumu

sumu New IL'ite

Hi Varloo...
    We are planning a trip to Ettumanoor .kaduthuruthi ..and vaikom and chottanikkara... I would like to know how you planned the trip..?How many hrs needed to reach Vaikom to Ettumanoor..could you pls throw some light on this .. ..so that i can plan my visit accordingly...
    Thank you ..

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear varloo,

Felt a great nostalgia after reading this title. In my childhood days me, my grandpa and granny will plan a south india trip regularly. And i have been to Sabarimala with them for continous 5 years. On the way to sabarimala and once we get down we tour all the nearby places without fail like Ettumanoor, Vaikom, Guruvayoor, Chottanikarai bhagavathy temple, padhmanabapuram, madurai, tirunelveli, thiruchendur, kanyakumari, rameswaram and so on. Will be longing for the annual holidays and enjoy every moment.Hope you too had good darshan.Thanks for sharing.