1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Pilates for lower back pain

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Manaswini08, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

I have back spasms and my doctor suggested to try Yoga. But when I spoke to a Physical Therapist, she recommended Pilates instead. The reason being is that in Yoga one holds a position for a period of time which may trigger the muscles to tighten up and eventually hurt. Whereas in Pilates, one is constantly moving. Both involve stretching and strengthening core muscles. But I was just wondering if anyone out there has actually tried Pilates and if so, what you think about it.

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi Manaswini, I have done both Yoga and Pilates, and I like both. Pilates, like you said, works on your core muscles and one of the reasons for a bad lower back is weak core muscles, and since Pilates focuses on strengthening the core, it may actually help your back better as compared to Yoga. It helped mine a lot.

Raj

3. Manaswini08

Thanks so much Raj. Right now I'll try anything to get rid of this constant pain. I hate popping pills as most docs suggest.

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Manaswini, I am so much against popping pills too when there are other healthier alternatives. Do give Pilates a try, and make sure you talk to the instructor and explain your situation so she guides you better initially. You don't want to overdo it right off the bat. Good luck.

Secondly, I am not sure if you work outside the home or not, but if you do and if it's a sitting job, try sitting on an exercise ball. I used to do that and it helps with strengthening the core tremendously too. I got my hubby to use it too, and he loved it so much that his assistant got one too. :) Anyhow, the ball helps with working your core constantly when you try balancing your body on it. Initially I started off with a couple hours and then later on I used to sit on it all the time while at work. Just make sure when you sit on it, your knees are bent at a 90 degrees angle, so your blood circulation doesn't get cut off.

Raj

5. Manaswini08

Great tips Raj....I'll definitely try the ball. I do sit for long periods of time at work but try to break it up by just getting up and going for a walk. I start my classes tomorrow night...wish me luck :)

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Good luck and let us know how you like it.

Raj