1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pigrimage In Times Of Pandemic

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

First, let me tell you an old story. You probably know it. But anyway let me refresh your memory.

There was a great devotee who firmly believed that God would protect him from any calamity. Once there was a massive flood and our man was perched precariously on a tree, Some rescuers came in a rowboat and asked him to hop in but his faith in God was so great that he refused believing the Guy Upstairs would come to his rescue.

The same thing happened in the case of other rescuers who came in motorboats and choppers. Finally, the devotee was drowned in the flood and went to meet a rather grim

“MY Lord” he cried “ Why have you forsaken me?”

An angry God gave him a resounding slap and shouted “You idiot! Who do you think sent the boats and the chopper?”

I was reminded of his story when a couple of close relatives a husband and wife announced that they were going on a pilgrimage.

“In these times?” asked a shocked DW “ Coronavirus is spreading l like wildfire you know.

“So what ?” said the man “God will protect his devotees"

I felt like banging my head on the wall. Both of them are in their seventies. Maybe they are reconciled to death and see no future for themselves but shouldn't they have some concern for others.?

Though an atheist, I respect others; right to a religious identity but such blind belief like that of the guy caught in the flood is way too over the top. What if they become virus carriers and return to infect others? Maybe they thought God would protect u not only His devotees but also those who came into contact with them.

The man was repeated inpatient at hospitals for a lung infection. If he had such faith in God he should have left the matter in the hands of the almighty instead of going to doctors.

I suspect that this religious belief masks a lackadaisical attitude that is widespread in India. Granted India has so far shown better control over the spread of the virus than many countries like Italy. But if all those returning from coronavirus endemic countries had turned themselves over to the health authorities the situation would have been even better.

But look at the real picture here. Case one” 18 people return from Dubai in Mumbai but only three of them report for screening and the rest disappear. Case 2: One infected guy returning from Italy instead of reporting his infection to health authorities, takes a train from Delhi to “Bhubaneswar infecting a lot of people on the way.

Despite authorities asking people not to gather in large numbers over 100 people gather at Kochi airport to take a look at a participant in the reality show Big Boss.

So can you blame my relatives? They simply share the Don’t Care attitude of Indians in general but they only cloaked it in religion.

But many pilgrimage centers have wisely decided to down their shutters, for the time being, Looks like they didn’t want to burden the Good Lord with the task of protecting his devotees from coronavirus,

Giri12, shama146, Kamla and 9 others like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Followers of god should know that god helps only those who help themselves and they should also live by trust in god but lock your car! The omnipresent omnipotent omniscient god in his infinite wisdom has given us some of that wisdom. When people react irrationally like that, I think it is sometimes to feel a sense of control - ironical here in this case don't you think? Trying to have a sense of control by defying and traveling while expecting an unknown super power to take care.

Interesting times Balajee! There has always been a debate here about the flu shots - their importance or how useless they can be but like you have pointed out, these are the times when it is truly not just about us. One of the older teachers in our school was heard telling students in humourous way "wash your hands and often, follow what your parents ask you to, for you don't want to kill your grand parents!" This is the time to stop and care, no doubt it. We also have to be large hearted and be forgiving when some people act irrationally!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

It is the reincarnation possibility that makes people pooh pooh any pathogen that wants to kill them. They figure that they have 3 options
    1. God helps them off the proverbial tree top.
    2. They die, and come back the week after in a better shape, because of their life long devotion....yada ..yada..
    3. They get sick... and become an invalid... attached to some machine in a hospital.
    2 of 3 is good odds.... to go with god. No wonder we often say "vaya con dios".

4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Maid went to village for something called as "village carnival " . She was already sick with cough n cold. So had given her leave . She said she wants to work in spite of being sick as she wants to attend the carnival. I said take off now and adviced her against going for her carnival. She said its related to God and nothing will happen and God will take care . I educated her about the virus. No use. She still went.
    Today she returned and I asked her to take leave for 10 days. Looks like all the 7 8 houses where she works have given her leave for next 7-14 days. She called up and cried that will be losing money and she can't pay her rent and husband is a drunkard and she would like to return to work.
    I agreed to pay her salary . . Thats only so much I could do. Couldn't heed to her request to come back to work immediately.

Be safe than being sorry.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Amulet and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Here is what you can tell those who believe God will save them in crisis with them not doing anything to take precautions about the virus. God is the one who sends this type of virus when humans demonstrate their superiority over their own specie or other species. Those who believe in God should be considerate of fellow beings by not contributing to the proliferation of the virus. It is equivalent to doing actions that God doesn't like.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

You said it well @Balajee

I was bobbing my head up and down in acknowledgement as I read your post. Some will never get it. Sigh!

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Why blame just our Indians? Look at all the spring breakers packing beaches in Florida, and until the governors shut them down crowding all the bars and restaurants in many states as if there is no tomorrow.
    Stupidity, denial, hubris and selfishness knows no boundaries.

Balajee and shravs3 like this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee,We indians are fatalistic by nature.
    "que sera sera
    What ever will be will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Que sera sera
    Who can forget this song by Doris Day in Man who knew too much by Alfred Hitchcock.I heard a friends mother [80+] telling "nan sagarathukulle Bardinath poitu varanum"She had osteoporosis and severe lung problems.
    We are crying hoarse on Social distancing and the CM of a state attended a wedding with two thousand guests a week back.The reason is simple-human life in India is not valuable and people forget the departed soul after a hearty meal on subha sweekaram day. The situation will change drastically in two/three decades with fertility rate dropping down and every life becomes precious.
    Regards.SLN

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha these are not just interesting times but extremely dangerous times that call for a drastic rethink of our attitude towards many things. As for almighty, nature is a vengeful customer. You tinker with it and it pays back with interest. I think coronavirus is an outcome of that.

Thyagarajan likes this.