1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Pigeons in balcony - Help needed please

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by limkabook, Jul 16, 2009.

1. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

Hi Frens!

I have a strange Problem:-( .There are pigeons in my balcony all the time, we try to clean the balcony , but they keep coming back. There was an eagle fixed in the balcony by my landlord and i asked her to remove it since it looked very scary and i thot it looked like a bad omen.Is there anything like that? Please help me , to get rid of the pigeons:crazy ?

Thanks much

2. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Are the pigeons coming only after removing the eagle fixture ??
    Maybe that eagle was acting as a 'scarecrow' & keeping them away. Not sure about eagle, but Owl is a good omen as per Hindu mythology as it is said to symbolise Mahalakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth.

Back home people used to keep something black [ mostly the black grandfather umbrella ..] when they wanted to keep crows away from eatables spread out to dry on the terrace ...
    Maybe you can try spreading a piece of black cloth ...

Good luck , hope you find some remedy.

3. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Hi LB,

Even I face the same problem in my balcony..Thanks Grace for your tip..Will try it..

4. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

pigeon menace

hi everyone,

These pigeons are giving me nightmares.Every morning after waking up, I go to the balcony to see the whole balcony spoiled by pigeon poo.So much so that the sliding also gets dirty bcoz of this. Every day I have to clean the bacony as well as the sliding. I am tired of this.
    please tell me how to scare away pigeons.

:cheers

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  5. loveleen001

loveleen001 Senior IL'ite

Re: pigeon menace

Hi!!

I had this problem with my window. We tried two soutions and with the combination we have no more pigeons.
    • First, we put a plastic owl on the ledge. It has to be moved every few weeks or the pigeons catch on that it is a fake.
    • Next, we knocked on the window whenever we saw a pigeon there. They hated to be disturbed and they seemed to catch on over time that our window would not be a peaceful place to rest. However, you have to give them time to learn this.
    I'm not sure if this will suit your windowsill, you can try and apply some sort of grease (a petroleum-jelly type thing, I think) to all the beams where the pigeons would perch and poo... Basically, the birds don't like or aren't very good at sitting on the greased-up surface, and they would be forced to find somewhere else to hang out.

There is a product called Bird-X gel. It seems to work quite well.

Do keep me updated on the pigeon status...
    Regards..:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  6. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

Ok Finally they are gone!

I threw away the small nest that they were building in my balcony and removed all boxes and other junk from their as well. So if they wanna sit and relax they have to sit in chairs/table.Luckily they are not feeling cozy and decided to leave and stay in my neighbors balcony.

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi LB

We had the same problems with the pigeons last year. Since our roof is very high, we didn't worry much in the beginning. But later it became a menace with red droppings in the front of the house. The pigeon removal guys installed spikes (on the areas where the pigeons perched), perching gels, wire mesh and chimney spiders on the top of the roof. It has been such a relief since then.
    If it is a small area, you can get these items at a hardware store and do it yourself, if the problem continues.

8. Paathu

Paathu New IL'ite

hi...

Even am suffering from this same issue and i hav to clean my balcony twice a day now...its just so irritating...Witsend............did these methods work out???

9. Nitheka

Nitheka New IL'ite

same problem.... very useful tip . will try this one....

cheers
    nitheka

10. victori

victori New IL'ite

It is really very hard to get rid of pigeons. You can get some fake owls to get rid of these birds. There are also some fake owls in the market which acts like real. You can also use ultra sonic bird repellers to get r