1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Pigeon problem in balcony garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Ash84, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Ash84

Ash84 New IL'ite

I have set up few small plants in my apartment's balcony recently. Pigeons keep frequently the balcony now coz of the plants.
    They are spoiling the balcony.
    How to keep them away and protect the plants??
    Thanks!!

2. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

we had the same prob. Finally we had to get iron grills to cover entire open space of balcony thus preventing the pigeons invasion. We are now living in peace without pigeon's **** decorating the balcony daily. :p

3. Ash84

Ash84 New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply pinky2cute...We already have iron grills but the pigeons come through the wide gaps between the grill bars:(
    We are considering putting up nets covering the balcony. But it would cost 2-3k..So wanted to know if there are any other inexpensive method to keep pigeons away...

4. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Nets would be the best choice in that case.
    Inexpensive methods that you can use is take a plain black cloth [old tshirt or dupatta or any cloth but plain black cloth], tie it on a big stick [use a wooden stick or old floor mop stick] and place this stick in balcony such that air blows and cause movig of the black cloth. this will discourage pigeons to stay in the balcony.

But pigeons are very clever and once they understand our tick, they'll not be afraid.

Putting nets will be the best option as per me if you want fool proof method.

1 person likes this.
  5. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Even we have pigeons who come to eat small spinach plants and other plant leaves kept in the balcony. We don't scare them away. Let them eat... I sometimes keep water for them also.

4 people like this.
  6. Ash84

Ash84 New IL'ite

Even i don't mind the pigeons eating in my balcony but my problem is they r defecating:-(
    Don't want my toddler to pick up any infection from that..
    Will tie the black cloth and see..
    Thanks!!