1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Phonies! A Micro story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Dec 9, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Give me one of that, that, that and that! She said pointing to the 1 rupee sachets of detergents… Why don’t you take 4 pieces of one instead of … She shook her head frantically and I shrugged before handing her the 4 different sachets. Customer is the king…or queen… even if she is a chit of a maid servant.

She is a regular at my shop. I know she works for those software couple in that two bedroom apartment in Gangotri Block. She is from their native village and her knowledge of Hindi is minimal. No wonder, for she is not allowed to mingle with people in the apartments, she confided to me. We had developed a rapport since we were from the same state.

She came two days later. She wanted onion and potatoes. As she extended her hand to take the covers, I saw it… a purplish brown weal stretching from her elbow to her wrist. What happened? I asked. My mistake, she said woodenly. I spilled curry on Sir’s white T shirt when I was serving them…Madam was very angry…and beat me… Her eyes brimmed over. She wiped off the tears with the back of her hand and sniffed.

You know, she said pointing to the chain of small sachets of detergents. None of these soaps work… They just tell lies on the TV.

2. Indian_Rani

Indian_Rani Junior IL'ite

Well, maybe she didnt have the chance of education and had a unfavorable background. I dont care if she's illiterate, cant speak Hindi or whatever excuse people come up with...she's a human. No human deserves to be treated like. If those purple marks were that visible it must have been severe.

Maybe that poor soul has nobody to turn to. She is afraid and who knows what she's going through.

3. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

Very nice Micro strory.Servant abuse is at rise in India.Recently,a girl of nearly 8-10yrs was beaten so harshly by her owners that you can't see her.It's really so unhuman.

4. Indian_Rani

Indian_Rani Junior IL'ite

C'mon people, this is the 21st century. That is a human rights violation and equivalent to slavery.

In Dubai, many years ago I remember a story about a Egyptian couple that abused their Fillipino maid. She took it for 8 years and finally told someone, who went to the police. The couple were arrested and deported.

If I were you, this is what I'd do, I'd pay close attention and find out what they are doing and not afraid to take it to the authorities.

5. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    This is a sad reality... How many cases get reported? How many get justice? VEry very few!

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very very sad to learn the stories of servant-child-abuse.
    Don't the employers see them as human, too!

I got confused at the last line for a second and got it right.

sriniketan

sindmani likes this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite