1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Petty Brother In Law..?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Patientone, May 12, 2021.

1. Patientone

Patientone Silver IL'ite

Anyone else have a petty brother in law? He seems to badmouth me to his mother all the time...any chance he gets...he insults my hometown...what I do...what I don’t do...

what would you do to make him stop? I’ve argued and been direct but old habits don’t die hard...

I also have his wife who criticises my child any chance she gets. It breaks my heart and tears in my eyes when she does this especially since I respect her son...she never looks after him yet I don’t say anything and their are obvious signs of neglect...she does the worse stuff when husband isn’t there but she does some things when he is there. He’s a doormat...too scared of his own mommy to say anything.

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

What can you do to change others? - answer is nothing.
    What can you do to make sure you aren't affected!? -Ignore them.

Many many years back I stopped getting into this argument of "my hometown is the best ". It's a waste valuable time and energy! I get nothing by proving anyone how precious my hometown is. If others insult it's just that It's not their home town, they don't have an emotional connection with the place and they find a petty happiness insulting it. That's it.

So good you figured out he's a doormat. Door mats have a purpose n hope you know that.

But any criticism to you n your kid I wouldn't ignore. Give back in subtle and sometimes not so subtle ways where they refrain themselves the next time they come forward to criticize.

chanchitra, KashmirFlower and drdiva like this.
  3. Patientone

Patientone Silver IL'ite

How do you give it back subtly? I need to learn that so teach me haha because I’m very direct.. I stay patient filling my jar with patience till I explode like a pressure cooker...

my brother in law badmouthed my town because when they came I was pregnant and sick and didn’t tour them to expensive places like they did with us...I assumed they toured us because he was showing his brother his city as he came from India first time..but it was more so if we take u here...you have to repay us and take us there and there...

4. Patientone

Patientone Silver IL'ite

I’ve just realised he’s an ignorant fool who doesn’t deserve my respect...

5. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

Give them their own medicine but increase the dose frequently!
    BTW ans to your very first question,I dont have a petty BIL.

6. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

:roflmao:Ignorant & fool ?
    You are now badmouthing your brother-in-law to anonymous people on the internet !!
    You train here, and slowly build up your capacity. Someday you'd not be able to say:
    You graduate when you can badmouth anyone to anyone.

radv likes this.
  7. preeti6years

preeti6years Silver IL'ite

Petty? Well I have a BIL who is utterly jealous for each and every good thing happens to me.
    Few years ago (now that he is married, he is not so much focussed us, but still he get jealous) when husband gifted me some gold, he observed it very carefully under the light and said that finishing is not good with a sarcastic smile. He used to check which restaurant we got into for dinner and then would tell me that its not a good restaurant and is not a popular one. Whenever we plan some vacation to some place or the other. He would ask us to cancel the booking there and go the place where he went.
    There were a couple of family trips in the early years of our marriage where he used to keep a constant tab on us. He would never leave us alone and inturn always wanted DH to think about his parents.
    Now fast forward he doesnt want any one to sneak peak into his married life.
    When we went to trip after his marriage, he would disappear somewhere along with his wife and would say that he would join us later.
    I have a list of all his wrong doings which I pick up whenever I argue with DH on the same point.:tearsofjoy: