Pesarattu (Andhra Special)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Dhivya5, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

Hi. Thanks for all your support. Today Iam posting one of Andhra's Specialty - Pesarattu. It is basically like Adai's counterpart but the taste and aroma is different and enticing. And it is much softer than Adai. Excellent for breakfast or snack or dinner.

View attachment 160440

Ingredients:

Green Gram with skin - 1 cup
    Raw Rice - 2 Tbsp.
    Green Chilly - 2 no.s
    Garlic - 4 pods
    Ginger - 1 inch piece
    Curry leaves - a sprig
    Small onions / Shallots - 1/2 cup
    Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp. chopped
    Big Onion - 1 (chopped)

Method:

Soak the green gram and rice together overnight. If soaking during the day time, soak for 7 - 8 hours. Then grind slightly coarsely using little water now and then. When it is half ground, add the small onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and blend well to rawa - like consistency. Now transfer the contents to a bowl and add salt, chopped onions and coriander leaves. Mix well. Now Pesarattu batter is ready. Pour into thin / thick dosas and add a few drops of oil. When cooked on one side, flip over and take off heat when golden colour. Serve with Avial or any chutney of your choice. I personally felt that Coconut chutney was a great match. Your kids will especially love it seeing the 'green' dosa as named by my kids. Rather than the regular dosas and idlies, Pesarattu is a great option to make and eat.

View attachment 160441

2. manasiphil

manasiphil New IL'ite

Did u try it with tomato ketchup? Make it a wee bit pungent and add corriander if necessary and eat with tomato sauce..it tastes AWESOME.

3. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

No i haven't tried it but will surely try next time Manasi :)

4. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

That was a good recipe Dhiva, different from the usual tiffin items. Thank you for sharing. The pic. looks yummy

5. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

:)Thank you Maalti. All your comments inspires me to post more delicacies. Thank you once again.

6. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Looks good Dhivya! Will definitely try this lovely Andhra dish one day. Btw, how many dosas can you make using the amount ingredients you've given above?

7. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sofea,
    Thanks a lot. I'm a fan of your filmi gossip section. You can make about 18 pesarattus. If you grind more coarsely, you'll get 15.