1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Personal space in a relationship.. Important??

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Unkown, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Unkown

Unkown New IL'ite

Hi ladies, I am posting here looking at my friends marriage. I happened to meet her after a long time and we got chatting and after a while i noticed that her husband is always hanging around with her for the entire day. They both work at the same office and frankly speaking it is not a very demanding job. So most of the time they are enjoying life freaking here n there, shopping etc etc.. He even accompanies her to the beauty parlour... I found this quiet surprising, they work together, live together, shop together and are stuck with each other the entire day. I personally would feel extremely suffocated with this way of life. I think it is very healthy to have some space for each other.

How would you guys feel if this happens to you? Would you feel suffocated or comfortable? Would you not like to have some time away from each other? I would love to listen to the men here as well...:)

2. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

Hi Unknown,

Seems as if its me and DH you are talking about...lol...we are together, you can say, the entire day...same office..same table...we had been going around for 5 yrs before getting married, now married since 5 yrs...and these last 5 yrs, we have been seen always together...with a very very few exceptions....We are with my in laws .... I was a doc by profession but after marriage..changed my profession and joined him in our small business..In last 5 yrs, we shifted office and house thrice being on rent and finally last year got our own office n house....Everyone takes it for granted that any matter that one of us knows about is sure to be known to the other...WHerever we have stayed till yet, house or office, people have always recognised us as "the love birds or the couple thats always together".

We have become so addicted to each other, that at times when I am for some reason unable to go to office, either he too wont go...or will come back within 2 hrs or so...We have a lovely daughter who'll turn 4 now. What she learnt to utter as her first words was - mumpa = mumma + papa .

Now for your question :) I understand you feeling weird about this...but honestly we never feel bored of each other...in fact we are addicted to each other...of course, he doesn't accompany me to the salon..lolz...but even when I go to my mum's place for a weekend, my parents know for sure that if 1 night has passed without he being there..the next day he is sure to come and touchwood my parents and DH are very very comfortable with each other and can discuss any damn thing on earth. We have never felt that we need any personal space or are lacking that so called space...Also, I think its not fair to say that since a couple is working toegether that means they are just enjoying being together...working means working :) at least in our case :)

Touchwood...to have been blessed with him but I just yesterday told him - as each day paases by, I feel another day of life with you has got over..Life seems too short to be enough to be spent with you all the time...I love him so much n so does he !! touchgold..

PS - ours was a love marriage and yes we got together after too much stress n tensions..may be thats 1 reason of the many other efforts that made us feel so :)

Love,
    Supriya.

3. Unkown

Unkown New IL'ite

Hey thats too sweet of you guys.. :bowdown Nice to hear that you are extremely happy to have hubby around you always..

I personally need to have some room for myself and would also love to give that space for my hubby as well. This "together-together" concept (Remember-Marriage ke side effects) doesn't go down well with me.. May be its because Ive grown up seeing my parents who have totally different lifestyles and yet make such a lovely couple..

I would like to know how the rest of you feel.. pour in your thoughts ladies..(oops men as well!!):)

4. letstalk

letstalk Silver IL'ite

Hi unknown,

it wld be great pleasure if i had known u :thumbsup:thumbsup.. I thought u just stole the words from my mouth. I jus accpet every word of ur opinion :iagree and i too hv felt the same way when i see many couples who keep sticking to each all the time. I had even got into argument on this issue with all my friends & family.. I feel not only between husband & wife but between any relationship there is a need for PERSONAL SPACE.. i hv almost seen no one accept this opinion of mine and u r the first one i hv come across am so happy tht am not alienated:cheers...

Doesnt mean tht i hide any facts from my husband but i cant take him evrywhere and share everything happ to me..We luv each other very much no doubts.. I dont like when couples use each others mobile casullay( like taking calls, checking for smses), emails etc.. It annoys me immensely :bang... Ofcourse i do share interesting smses, fwd or emails but tht shld be at my will & not at his will.. i hv even seen my sis & her hubby always talking to all of us in speaker phone( she claims she doesnt hv anything to hide) huff... This explanation sounds so much immature to me.. But am so thankful tht my hubby also agrees with me & doesnt intimidate.. And i also dont take his calls in mobile(if he happens to be away frm cell), or chk his mails.. for tht matter v even dont knw our passwords..

Probably i think bcos i always luv to be independent, i hv developed this attitude.. This is my opinion.. Excellent word u used-- SUFFOCATION:bowdown.. def i wld feel suffocated whoever it may be.. what u say ladies :hiya?? def i think wld get brickbats:wink:..

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  5. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Till now I used to really feel that quality time is more important than quanitity of time and both cant coexist.

But by reading SupSam's post I really felt great to know that it happens too. Touch platinum!!!! Congrats SupSam!!!!

Ours too is not an arranged marriage yet we have all the emotions in our relation like small quarrelsf and friends and though we doesnt have much time as he is a doctor and iam into IT.

Just as Unkown says he also expects some personal space as he is came from such a family where everyone has their own space.

Its totally different from my background where we share all , like feelings, time , ideas etc in our family and do not have such personal space concept.

initially it was difficult for me to understand and adjust but now iam used to it and already started appreciating this concept also.

Overall i feel it totally depends upon both the couple and cannot judge which one is good at all.

Thanks
    Anvitha

6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I think I go with the OP to, but not to that extent of suffocation.

Life gets more and more interesting if we have different things to share! This is my opinion. If together always, then the same things to see and same people to meet, this may not be very ideal, or may be I feel bored of it. As it is, now me and Dh are taking up work and lifestyle which are like ''opposite poles'' and we really love our work and share and enjoy life to the glory. But same work same table concept is I don't prefer.

But, the same case I have seen my parents like the ''love birds'' 24 hours work, home, functions everywhere together, after 30+years of marriage, I would say they still go on with even much interest and enthusiasm in life day by day.

So, may be, it is upto the compatibility and their character types.

7. Unkown

Unkown New IL'ite

Wow so many of you ladies share my thoughts.. It feels nice to see that so many of you want to be independent and not be the "together-together" types.. my friend owns a beauty parlour and one of the ladies had her hubby waiting outside while she got her eyebrows done.. urghhh.. :spin.. the poor guy was waiting patiently for her and she asked him for rs25 to pay to the parlour.. i felt that is so crazyy..

Lucky supsam, but if it were me, I would have really gone MAD having him by my side every single minute of the day... Ofcourse we share lots during rest of the time.. and to add we have great rapport.. Makes me happy and him as well..:thumbsup

8. Unkown

Unkown New IL'ite

Dear Anvitha, You must have a had a tough time realising that the husband needs more space, especially considering that you were from a family where everything was done together. Great that you have realised it finally and learnt to live with it. Im sure life would have been tough initially.. But really great job dear...:thumbsup

9. Unkown

Unkown New IL'ite

Wow letstalk, U are so much like me.. i hate sharing passwords, hate answering phn calls, infact i run away if i have to meet his friends.. I really enjoy the space.... :cheers
    The other day it was our college reunion and there u go, the hubby pops in there as well. Every one felt so awkward having him there... We all felt so uncomfy since we have never interacted with him, he was the only guy in an all females reunion...:rant

10. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Unknown,

I disagree with you in the parlour example. Sometimes I did this, because I did not have a driving license previously, and my husband used to wait for me/or go to the nearby cafe for a drink. And sometimes I may not have the right change, so ask my Dh to pay etc. But that does not mean personal space is not there!!

It might be due to transportation complications or may be just do shopping together, on the way drop into a parlour, so where will your Dh go for 10 minutes(So, wait outside!!!) Anything might be the situation there.

1 person likes this.