Persistent Cough During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by stalin4d, Aug 14, 2018.

1. stalin4d

stalin4d Senior IL'ite

Hi Pregnant Ladies and Moms,

I am @ 26 weeks pregnant and its my second baby, I need a Suggestion, I have persistent
    cough for past 1 week, only dry cough, due to this i can't sleep well and sometimes cough goes severe when i felt asleep or lay down.

can anyone suggest what Cough syrup i can take, my husband gave Bro-zedex which my Gynec gave when i have cold and cough during my fourth month(16 weeks) , only during night i take this syrup and get nice sleep no cough, is Brozedex safe to take while in pregnancy?

Please Suggest a good Cough Syrup which is safe while pregnancy, i will visit my doctor next week only.

Ps: I often tried Warm Salt water gargle in morning and night, but it wont work.

Thanks.

2. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

A pregnant woman should not take any medication based on online advices. You have to consult a doctor, a qualified doctor first. Only the medication , prescribed by the doctor should be consumed.

Half of all the brands of cough syrup available in the market or either codeine based or alcohol based. Both are strictly not to be taken by a pregnant woman. Only those cough mixture which does not contain codeine and alcohol is safe for you. How can anyone recommend such a cough syrup online ?

Generally speaking any medication, taken without medical advice , can harm the baby inside uterus, which is technically called teratogenicity.

Please Google the word "teratogenicity of a drug". You will get to know how dangerous it is for a pregnant woman to consume any medication without proper medical advice.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018