1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

perming

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by shravanthika, Jan 14, 2008.

1. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

I have heard that perming is usually done to have a denser look of your hair and also I'm aware that they use chemicals...so how far is it effective and how often one has to go for perming...is it really worth?

2. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

I dont advise to go for all these treatments since they are not natural and use lots of chemicals. And even if u get permed once it doesnt last forever, so u have to keep going back after every 3 months or so. I once got relaxation done on my hair to get to straight but no use and plus from that day onwards I'm experiencing extreme hiarfall. Maybe my hair didnt react well with the chemicals :(.
    -priya

3. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

I had my hair permed about 12+ years ago in India. My nautural hair is straight and thick.

I loved the perm. I had got done what they called a permanent perm on my slighlty longer than shoulder length hair and cut my hair in layers. I thought it looked glamorous :) It had taken about 5-6 hours then to do it and yes, they had used chemicals. Once I permed my hair I did not go for any follow up perms. I just let the perm go on its own (which took about 1 year).

As for the health of my hair, hmmm, I did notice a distinct roughness and frizziness in my hair once the perm started wearing off. I had very soft and silky hair prior to the perm.

It took me a year of oil massaging, using the right shampoo and following the normal healthy practices, after the perm had worn off, to get my hair back to its normal self. I did not think my hair looked bad, but they just weren't as shiny as before. I had to work on getting that back.

In short, the perm surely has its negative effects due to the chemicals being used. But the damage was not permanent. At least not in my case.

If you ask me, will you do a perm again? I will say yes :). Because I liked the look of it and for me the damage could be reversed. My motto is - Life is short, I'd like to enjoy things as long as the negative impact is not severe or permanent!

SS

4. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Thanx Priya and SS for your replies..

Yep Priya...I'm worried abt the chemicals they use ..My hair is not that healthy...since I dont have dense or thick strands I'm really scared to take a chance...but seeing SS reply I'm bit moved...

So I have now decided to go for layered cut...if that doesnt satisfy me...I shall think abt Perming...

thanks a lot ladies...